The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Black vs. Freedmen | Do Names Matter?

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    This is our latest piece on The Zero Hour

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI5pOQU1oR0

With Black American median income on track to reach $0 by 2053, many groups are promoting pathways to success for the community. One such pathway being promoted is reclassification from “Black American” to “Freedmen”. Groups pushing this agenda assert that reclassification opens the doors to restorative justice and political activation. In this brief video we explore if this is a viable solution for the Black American community.

My personal opinion is that playing the "name game" is a stalling tactic because we are at a point where we know the system doesn't work. The next step after recognizing the system does not work is scary and some simply want to go back to begging for rights. The Freedmen movement IMO is just that, it's going back to asking White Daddy to give us the rights instead of taking them.

What are your thoughts?​

Blackgravity

On Y0 Six
    Community Host
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Exellent post, Exellent topic. I found that calling myself FBA (Foundational Black American) is the best definition to discribe myself. I don't like ADOS, because I hate the term slave.
    I don't care what people may think about titles, in the United States.. You're Black. Period.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Given that this is the case, how do we solve this issue? Because changing our faces ain't a option (even though some try). The problem doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon.
    What do you think the resolution is?
    • System is starving you out
    • Killing you at every chance
    • Denying you justice
    • Does not want to reason with you
    It seems clear what we have to do...

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Wouldn't denying you justice cover all of this? Since Justice is supposed to be about insuring whoever needs the most help get the most constructive help.

Great explanation, I don't believe you missed anything.
    Thanks.

Their premise is that you are being denied justice because you refer to yourself as “Black”. They say if you refer to yourself as “freedmen” or “moor” that there are laws to protect you and ensure justice is served. They don’t realize we are in a racial caste system and that those labels are irrelevant.

Victorystatus

Smell my cologne...
    Content Contributor
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Thanks.

Their premise is that you are being denied justice because you refer to yourself as “Black”. They say if you refer to yourself as “freedmen” or “moor” that there are laws to protect you and ensure justice is served. They don’t realize we are in a racial caste system and that those labels are irrelevant.
    Absolutely!
    Its the Plebiscite talking point...

MarleyK20

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Great video. I've been bothered by this for quite some time. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this mindset. I believe the only reason to take the Freedman label is to litigate reparations and to avoid flat Blackness labels which make everybody and their granny eligible for benefits. I prefer disaggregation. Either you're Black first or you're not. Either you're countering the system or you're in bed with it.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Great video. I've been bothered by this for quite some time. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this mindset. I believe the only reason to take the Freedman label is to litigate reparations and to avoid flat Blackness labels which make everybody and their granny eligible for benefits. I prefer disaggregation. Either you're Black first or you're not. Either you're countering the system or you're in bed with it.
    Yes in that regard it holds the same role as "Descendants of American Slaves" while being slightly less specific.

Czharcus

Truth-Detector
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Doesn't matter. I recognize white supremacy as a collective ego, the same thing as an individual ego on a larger scale. The ego creates labels and rules then clings to them, but does not have a problem abandoning its labels and rules if it means self-preservation. So I do not believe it matters what we call ourselves because the rules WS has presented to preserve itself don't actually matter, even to WS itself.

So you will find me hopping from ADOS to DOAS to FBA to Freedmen because ultimately they are all just pointers. I choose the best pointer in my opinion at any given point but WS doesn't care because they are all pointing to the same people.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Doesn't matter. I recognize white supremacy as a collective ego, the same thing as an individual ego on a larger scale. The ego creates labels and rules then clings to them, but does not have a problem abandoning its labels and rules if it means self-preservation. So I do not believe it matters what we call ourselves because the rules WS has presented to preserve itself don't actually matter, even to WS itself.

So you will find me hopping from ADOS to DOAS to FBA to Freedmen because ultimately they are all just pointers. I choose the best pointer in my opinion at any given point but WS doesn't care because they are all pointing to the same people.

Spot on i love how you put it.