Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    A very common misperception is the view of politics as one party is good and not racist being the Democrats and the other party is bad and racist being the Republicans. The majority of the black community view politics in this almost child like manner.

This is so bad that I’ve met black people that think Abraham Lincoln was a Democrat unaware he was a Republican. They've never heard that the Democrats were originally the party of the KKK. They've never heard about the Southern Strategy. They can't tell you who Lee Atwater, Daniel Patrick Moynihan, or Kevin Phillips is.

At the time of Lincoln he was a Republican. That doesn't mean that the Republicans even at that time were great and this party for black people. Lincoln famously wrote in his reply to Horace Greely as below:

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or destroy Slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone, I would also do that. What I do about Slavery and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save this Union, and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union".

So you see he didn't end slavery because it was morally wrong. He did it to save the union.

The southern Democrats originally the Dixiecrats in 1956 signed the Southern Manifesto which was a document written in response to Brown v Board of Education and called for "states rights" and opposed desegregating public places. 19 U.S. Senators and 82 Representatives from the south almost all Democrats signed the document.

It was the Democrats who teamed up with states rights Republicans and blocked several civil rights legislations like the Civil Rights Act of 1957, the Civil rights Act of 1960 and the more famous Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Phillips worked for Richard Nixon's presidential campaign in 1968, and afterwards wrote a book on what has come to be known as the "Southern strategy" of the Republican Party. It was in 1970 that Kevin

Phillips wrote the following:

"All the talk about Republicans making inroads into the Negro vote is persiflage. Even 'Jake the Snake' [Senator Jacob Javits of New York] only gets 20 percent. From now on, Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote, and they don't need any more than that... but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats."

So you see southern white people divorced the Democrats the minute they weren't getting what they wanted which was oppression of black people.

After desegregation and the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 the Democrats largely got 80% or more of the black vote. Eventually, the Republicans all but gave up hope of winning back the black vote. They began to use racist dog whistle tactics to appeal to southern racists and win their votes. Essentially Republicans became racist because they couldn't win elections unless they were openly racist. Because of fear of losing votes they just used coded language.

It was in 1981 that Lee Atwater said the quiet part out loud when in an interview he said this:

" Y'all don't quote me on this. You start out in 1954 by saying, "n****r, n****r, n****r". By 1968, you can't say "n****r"—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this", is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "n****r, n****r". So, any way you look at it, race is coming on the back-burner."

These tactics were used famously by Ronald Reagan. Even some Democrats used this type of coded language like Bill Clinton and Joe Biden.

You'll notice throughout this whole ordeal I never once pointed to any historical facts showing the the Democrats just quit being racists. That's because that never happened. What did happen is they needed that 80% or more of our vote so they couldn't be outright open about it anymore.

They like the Republicans adopted the part of the southern strategy where the codify their racism. They are just much better at doing it. What is even more insidious is their policy of benign neglect.

It was in Daniel Patrick Moynihan's Memo to President Richard Nixon that he stated on page 7:

"The time may have come when the issue of race could benefit from a period of "benign neglect. 11 The subject has been too much talked about. The forum has been too much taken over to hysterics, paranoids, and boodlers on all sides. We may need a period in which Negro progress continues and racial rhetoric fades. The administration can help bring this about by paying close attention to such progress --as we are doing --while seeking to avoid situations in which extremists of either race are given opportunities for martyr dom, heroics, histrionics or whatever. Greater attention to Indians, Mexican Americans and Puerto Ricans would be useful.”

It was this policy that decimated black politics for the last 5-6 decades. Basically what was called for was to not pass blatantly racist policies like redlining, segregation, refusal of home loans etc. Instead they would just leave black people alone and ignore us. They would do nothing to intentionally hurt us but instead just leave us be. They would instead just give us nothing at all to help but not purposely do anything to help us. Their policy of benign neglect requires that they never promise us anything directly. They can't even directly say anything is specific for black people. This where terms like minority, people of color, disinvested neighborhoods, and the underprivileged etc. come into play.

Think of benign neglect sort of like this. Abuse is bad in all instances. The parent who comes home gets angry and upset about work and takes it out on the child by beating them with a board and slapping them. This is outright abuse. However the parent that doesn't quite make enough money and can't afford daycare and leaves the child that is too young home alone or the child is malnourished and not able to eat properly is also guilty of abuse. Their abuse isn't on purpose it is instead benign neglect. Benign because it isn't necessarily intentional.

The Democrats still hold their racist views from the past but can't just outright say it because they need our votes. So instead they pander to us. They however never offer us anything specific. We aren't even to be specifically named in legislation. Look the Emit Till Anti- Lynching Act. It doesn't even use any terms to indicate it is for black, African American people. All this bill did was make something already illegal a different classification. It was simply an amendment to US Title 18 Section 249.

here is the text of the bill/amendment:

The act amends section 249(a) of Title 18 of the United States Code[13] to include:

(5) LYNCHING.—Whoever conspires to commit any offense under paragraph (1), (2), or (3) shall, if death or serious bodily injury (as defined in section 2246 of this title) results from the offense, be imprisoned for not more than 30 years, fined in accordance with this title, or both.
    (6) OTHER CONSPIRACIES.—Whoever conspires to commit any offense under paragraph (1), (2), or (3) shall, if death or serious bodily injury (as defined in section 2246 of this title) results from the offense, or if the offense includes kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, be imprisoned for not more than 30 years, fined in accordance with this title, or both.

They didn't mention black people once anywhere in there. This is how deep into benign neglect Democrats are. They can't even mention us in legislation that is supposedly meant for us.

On the other hand Republicans whether they actually believe the racist sentiments and rhetoric that they push must appeal to southern racists in order to get those votes. They will always have to be open about their disdain of black people with dog whistle tactics right up to the point of not just saying outright saying something like "We hate n*ggers" . They will say every reason why white people should hate us and use all the negative stereotypes and pain us as the worst.

So you see the Republicans will beat us. The Republicans will say negative things about us. They will call us racial slurs. They will side with racist voters against us. They will use the dog whistle tactics. They hate us whether it's because we vote against them or they are just hate black people for no particular rhyme or reason.

However, the Democrats hate us too. However they need the vote. So they are perfectly okay with just letting black people starve to death instead even when they could just give us something to eat. Instead they will turn a blind eye as if they don't see it and let us keep getting more and more malnourished until we just die. That's the Democratic party.

D

Deleted member 1946

A very common misperception is the view of politics as one party is good and not racist being the Democrats and the other party is bad and racist being the Republicans. The majority of the black community view politics in this almost child like manner.

This is so bad that I’ve met black people that think Abraham Lincoln was a Democrat unaware he was a Republican. They've never heard that the Democrats were originally the party of the KKK. They've never heard about the Southern Strategy. They can't tell you who Lee Atwater, Daniel Patrick Moynihan, or Kevin Phillips is.

At the time of Lincoln he was a Republican. That doesn't mean that the Republicans even at that time were great and this party for black people. Lincoln famously wrote in his reply to Horace Greely as below:

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or destroy Slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone, I would also do that. What I do about Slavery and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save this Union, and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union".

So you see he didn't end slavery because it was morally wrong. He did it to save the union.

The southern Democrats originally the Dixiecrats in 1956 signed the Southern Manifesto which was a document written in response to Brown v Board of Education and called for "states rights" and opposed desegregating public places. 19 U.S. Senators and 82 Representatives from the south almost all Democrats signed the document.

It was the Democrats who teamed up with states rights Republicans and blocked several civil rights legislations like the Civil Rights Act of 1957, the Civil rights Act of 1960 and the more famous Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Phillips worked for Richard Nixon's presidential campaign in 1968, and afterwards wrote a book on what has come to be known as the "Southern strategy" of the Republican Party. It was in 1970 that Kevin

Phillips wrote the following:

"All the talk about Republicans making inroads into the Negro vote is persiflage. Even 'Jake the Snake' [Senator Jacob Javits of New York] only gets 20 percent. From now on, Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote, and they don't need any more than that... but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats."

So you see southern white people divorced the Democrats the minute they weren't getting what they wanted which was oppression of black people.

After desegregation and the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 the Democrats largely got 80% or more of the black vote. Eventually, the Republicans all but gave up hope of winning back the black vote. They began to use racist dog whistle tactics to appeal to southern racists and win their votes. Essentially Republicans became racist because they couldn't win elections unless they were openly racist. Because of fear of losing votes they just used coded language.

It was in 1981 that Lee Atwater said the quiet part out loud when in an interview he said this:

" Y'all don't quote me on this. You start out in 1954 by saying, "n****r, n****r, n****r". By 1968, you can't say "n****r"—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this", is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "n****r, n****r". So, any way you look at it, race is coming on the back-burner."

These tactics were used famously by Ronald Reagan. Even some Democrats used this type of coded language like Bill Clinton and Joe Biden.

You'll notice throughout this whole ordeal I never once pointed to any historical facts showing the the Democrats just quit being racists. That's because that never happened. What did happen is they needed that 80% or more of our vote so they couldn't be outright open about it anymore.

They like the Republicans adopted the part of the southern strategy where the codify their racism. They are just much better at doing it. What is even more insidious is their policy of benign neglect.

It was in Daniel Patrick Moynihan's Memo to President Richard Nixon that he stated on page 7:

"The time may have come when the issue of race could benefit from a period of "benign neglect. 11 The subject has been too much talked about. The forum has been too much taken over to hysterics, paranoids, and boodlers on all sides. We may need a period in which Negro progress continues and racial rhetoric fades. The administration can help bring this about by paying close attention to such progress --as we are doing --while seeking to avoid situations in which extremists of either race are given opportunities for martyr dom, heroics, histrionics or whatever. Greater attention to Indians, Mexican Americans and Puerto Ricans would be useful.”

It was this policy that decimated black politics for the last 5-6 decades. Basically what was called for was to not pass blatantly racist policies like redlining, segregation, refusal of home loans etc. Instead they would just leave black people alone and ignore us. They would do nothing to intentionally hurt us but instead just leave us be. They would instead just give us nothing at all to help but not purposely do anything to help us. Their policy of benign neglect requires that they never promise us anything directly. They can't even directly say anything is specific for black people. This where terms like minority, people of color, disinvested neighborhoods, and the underprivileged etc. come into play.

Think of benign neglect sort of like this. Abuse is bad in all instances. The parent who comes home gets angry and upset about work and takes it out on the child by beating them with a board and slapping them. This is outright abuse. However the parent that doesn't quite make enough money and can't afford daycare and leaves the child that is too young home alone or the child is malnourished and not able to eat properly is also guilty of abuse. Their abuse isn't on purpose it is instead benign neglect. Benign because it isn't necessarily intentional.

The Democrats still hold their racist views from the past but can't just outright say it because they need our votes. So instead they pander to us. They however never offer us anything specific. We aren't even to be specifically named in legislation. Look the Emit Till Anti- Lynching Act. It doesn't even use any terms to indicate it is for black, African American people. All this bill did was make something already illegal a different classification. It was simply an amendment to US Title 18 Section 249.

here is the text of the bill/amendment:

The act amends section 249(a) of Title 18 of the United States Code[13] to include:

(5) LYNCHING.—Whoever conspires to commit any offense under paragraph (1), (2), or (3) shall, if death or serious bodily injury (as defined in section 2246 of this title) results from the offense, be imprisoned for not more than 30 years, fined in accordance with this title, or both.
    (6) OTHER CONSPIRACIES.—Whoever conspires to commit any offense under paragraph (1), (2), or (3) shall, if death or serious bodily injury (as defined in section 2246 of this title) results from the offense, or if the offense includes kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, be imprisoned for not more than 30 years, fined in accordance with this title, or both.

They didn't mention black people once anywhere in there. This is how deep into benign neglect Democrats are. They can't even mention us in legislation that is supposedly meant for us.

On the other hand Republicans whether they actually believe the racist sentiments and rhetoric that they push must appeal to southern racists in order to get those votes. They will always have to be open about their disdain of black people with dog whistle tactics right up to the point of not just saying outright saying something like "We hate n*ggers" . They will say every reason why white people should hate us and use all the negative stereotypes and pain us as the worst.

So you see the Republicans will beat us. The Republicans will say negative things about us. They will call us racial slurs. They will side with racist voters against us. They will use the dog whistle tactics. They hate us whether it's because we vote against them or they are just hate black people for no particular rhyme or reason.

However, the Democrats hate us too. However they need the vote. So they are perfectly okay with just letting black people starve to death instead even when they could just give us something to eat. Instead they will turn a blind eye as if they don't see it and let us keep getting more and more malnourished until we just die. That's the Democratic party.
    The best way I can describe it is "two wings, same dirty bird."

MR-D-ROB
    MR-D-ROB
    Essentially. The big thing I was pointing out is the history of racism within the Democratic party and the black community's belief that the parties just magically switched sides.

That's not at all what happened. The Democrats simply became less openly racist due to political need! They still feel the same about us as they always did.

Most certainly the old ones like Biden. They were around when the Democrats weren't so closed about their racism!
    Reactions: ZxBro