The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

American Friends, What Exactly Is Habashi?

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
Super Moderator
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I've seen different definitions for it, i imagine it's some kind of japanese style of cooking but im not sure about it.
Hibachi restaurants are Japanese style eateries where the chef cooks at your table. It's really good, and the chef will usually perform cool tricks like turning an onion into a volcano or train!

Kanu

Senior Sixer
Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Latin America
    Hibachi restaurants are Japanese style eateries where the chef cooks at your table. It's really good, and the chef will usually perform cool tricks like turning an onion into a volcano or train!
    But can the chef cook anything? What is the difference from other japanese restaurants?

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    But can the chef cook anything? What is the difference from other japanese restaurants?
    Probably would be best to get a Japanese person’s opinion if you want to go deeper than what Rollie Forbes has typed. But the cuisine at these type of restaurants in the USA is typically Americanized variations of Japanese food.

Nothing too exotic like a karoke, squid/eel/octopus, etc. you typically see beef and chicken dishes that use Japanese seasonings.

Kanu

Senior Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Latin America
    At a traditional Japanese restaurant, you sit on the floor. At a hibachi restaurant, you sit at a table.
    Oh i see, but it has nothing to do with the food.

Probably would be best to get a Japanese person’s opinion if you want to go deeper than what Rollie Forbes has typed. But the cuisine at these type of restaurants in the USA is typically Americanized variations of Japanese food.

Nothing too exotic like a karoke, squid/eel/octopus, etc. you typically see beef and chicken dishes that use Japanese seasonings.
    I saw a video of a woman who said she ordered hibachi but it looked just like regular japanese food. thinkingbrotha

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

I saw a video of a woman who said she ordered hibachi but it looked just like regular japanese food. thinkingbrotha
    Most people go to hibachi for the experience (40% food, 60% chef's theatrics). The food is usually good, but it's nothing you won't find at a Japanese steak house.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

Think of it like this. In most table service restaurants, a server takes your order, walks to the kitchen, the cooks make it and the server brings it to you. In a Hibachi restaurant the Server takes your order, but you happen to be sitting in front of a large grill so the cook comes out and cooks the meal right in front of you. To make it more entertaining, the HIbachi chefs do tricks with the utensils and make designs with the food as they cook.

Kanu

Senior Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Latin America
    Most people go to hibachi for the experience (40% food, 60% chef's theatrics). The food is usually good, but it's nothing you won't find at a Japanese steak house.
    Think of it like this. In most table service restaurants, a server takes your order, walks to the kitchen, the cooks make it and the server brings it to you. In a Hibachi restaurant the Server takes your order, but you happen to be sitting in front of a large grill so the cook comes out and cooks the meal right in front of you. To make it more entertaining, the HIbachi chefs do tricks with the utensils and make designs with the food as they cook.
    So it's like benihana with a different name?

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Is the food worth the price? Somehow the perception is get is that kind of "experience" is overpriced.
    The hibachi restaurants that I have visited have all had good food, but you're mostly paying for the show. You can get the same food for a lot less if you go to a regular Japanese restaurant.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    It is just a table grill, he will either cook the food in front of you while you sit at a table or bar setup, or you will wait in line and bring your raw ingredients (you choose) to him to cook.

The word means "fire bowl" and in Japan it is quite a bit different. They had to spice it up to entertain the Americans.