Self-Sufficiency and Preppers

Are you ready for the day the system falls? Our group is here to help each other prep for a disaster scenario.

Stats

Category
Lifestyle
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Anyone Else Having Growing Trouble?

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    Not only has my garden seem stunted, everyone I ask and my mom asks are complaining too! I don't know if it is the soil or what. I did everything right and yet all my plants are struggling to produce and are not growing like they should. I should have had a lot growing by now and I only have 2 tomatoes, 3 cucumbers, and maybe 3 peppers.... I don't know what is going on.

JerriBun

Master Sixer
    Super Moderator
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Biggest immediate culprits are:
    -Soil: Bagged soil has been awful the last few years. I let my bagged soil sit in the bag in the sun for some months before I used it. If there are contaminates, etc. The sun and heat takes care of them.

-Sun: Too much sun will stunt the growth of your plants. You can either move them to an area that receives less sun or provide them with shade cloth. Likewise, too little sun will stunt growth. You can move them to an area that receives more sun.

-Water: Rainwater is best! Do you collect any? Or, were they overwatered/underwatered? Either way, try to have a soil moisture reader on hand.

-Seed started vs Bought starts: Seeds that you start are used to your area, even more so if you saved them from the year prior (they grow like monsters). Starts are hit or miss. They are used to one area and get moved to another so it may take a while for them to catch up.

-Pests: Do you check for garden pests? It's best to check early morning before it gets hot, or late evening once it starts cooling down. You'd be surprise what you find (if you don't already do this).

-Too much nitrogen: Are you using fertilizer? Too much nitrogen will encourage leaf growth and nothing else.

Yes, I know most people will say. "Oh, they're spraying!!! That's why xyz isn't growing!" But they are always spraying, you should still produce more than what you currently have.

D

Deleted member 1946

Not only has my garden seem stunted, everyone I ask and my mom asks are complaining too! I don't know if it is the soil or what. I did everything right and yet all my plants are struggling to produce and are not growing like they should. I should have had a lot growing by now and I only have 2 tomatoes, 3 cucumbers, and maybe 3 peppers.... I don't know what is going on.
    The soil is a plausible explanation.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    Biggest immediate culprits are:
    -Soil: Bagged soil has been awful the last few years. I let my bagged soil sit in the bag in the sun for some months before I used it. If there are contaminates, etc. The sun and heat takes care of them.

-Sun: Too much sun will stunt the growth of your plants. You can either move them to an area that receives less sun or provide them with shade cloth. Likewise, too little sun will stunt growth. You can move them to an area that receives more sun.

-Water: Rainwater is best! Do you collect any? Or, were they overwatered/underwatered? Either way, try to have a soil moisture reader on hand.

-Seed started vs Bought starts: Seeds that you start are used to your area, even more so if you saved them from the year prior (they grow like monsters). Starts are hit or miss. They are used to one area and get moved to another so it may take a while for them to catch up.

-Pests: Do you check for garden pests? It's best to check early morning before it gets hot, or late evening once it starts cooling down. You'd be surprise what you find (if you don't already do this).

-Too much nitrogen: Are you using fertilizer? Too much nitrogen will encourage leaf growth and nothing else.

Yes, I know most people will say. "Oh, they're spraying!!! That's why xyz isn't growing!" But they are always spraying, you should still produce more than what you currently have.
    I did check all these things. I got the same soil I normally get as well as did some composting but still have issues. I am wondering if all the crappy weather and fires have to do with this mixed with companies cutting corners. I mean everything is struggling. It don't seem right. I will have to get something to check my soil.

Linda Jones

Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    I use coffee grains in my garden and I got lots of vegetables

JerriBun

Master Sixer
    Super Moderator
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I did check all these things. I got the same soil I normally get as well as did some composting but still have issues. I am wondering if all the crappy weather and fires have to do with this mixed with companies cutting corners. I mean everything is struggling. It don't seem right. I will have to get something to check my soil.
    Then it's the soil and most likely sun issues as well. Nearly all brands of soil are having issues regardless of past performance. Soil and too much sun affected my garden last year. I corrected the problem through shading and soil solarization and everything thrived. A soil test will just tell you about minor things that shouldn't affect how much you're producing. The contamination is on a different level now.

JerriBun

Master Sixer
    Super Moderator
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    What kind of kit or whatever should I get for testing my soils? Maybe something in them just isn't cutting it. I might need to add something or offer more shade, not sure.
    I wouldn't bother getting a kit. Would suggest amending with a bit more compost and offering them shade. If you're planning on using bagged soil later in the season or next year, get it now and let it sit outside so it will be ready for when you need it.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    I wouldn't bother getting a kit. Would suggest amending with a bit more compost and offering them shade. If you're planning on using bagged soil later in the season or next year, get it now and let it sit outside so it will be ready for when you need it.
    Thanks! My plants get sun from about 1PM until 8PM so maybe that is too much? I will make a run to the store this weekend for a few bags so I have them.

JerriBun

Master Sixer
    Super Moderator
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Thanks! My plants get sun from about 1PM until 8PM so maybe that is too much? I will make a run to the store this weekend for a few bags so I have them.
    Not so much the amount of sun, but the intensity. Sun has been more intense in certain areas for the last few years. Deep South Homestead ( https://www.youtube.com/@DeepSouthHomestead ) talks about it from time to time in some of his videos. Hopefully shading works for you!

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    Not so much the amount of sun, but the intensity. Sun has been more intense in certain areas for the last few years. Deep South Homestead ( https://www.youtube.com/@DeepSouthHomestead ) talks about it from time to time in some of his videos. Hopefully shading works for you!
    I will try it out and see what happens. I think it is the only thing I have not tried at this point! I want some more vegetables on my dang plans already.

ArYkathaGOAT

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

I would suggest experimenting with your water supply. If you're watering your garden from the city water supply that water is chemically treated. I would suggest letting the water "stand' overnight (just sit out open air) this will allow the water to breathe out the add chemicals (which could be as simple as chlorine) the garden doesn't like that water. Also suggest collecting as much rain water as possible ♾️