Blrd

Anime, Comic Books, Super Heroes, it all goes down here!

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Apple September Event 2021

The Honorable

Royal Sixer
Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    491CAF24-FD5D-42BC-A8C7-78DE44FBBFB6.jpeg

I wanted this.
    Emotion Reaction GIF

zBucks
    I wouldn't mind having an apple watch, but I'd probably pass on their other products. I never was a fan of Apple and their high prices. Just always felt overpriced when you could get pretty much the same stuff from competitors for cheaper. But that's just me.

I like the Apple watch designs this go around though. Wasn't the last watch series they did kind boxy?

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I wouldn't mind having an apple watch, but I'd probably pass on their other products. I never was a fan of Apple and their high prices. Just always felt overpriced when you could get pretty much the same stuff from competitors for cheaper. But that's just me.

I like the Apple watch designs this go around though. Wasn't the last watch series they did kind boxy?
    Nah Apple shit hits different. Like you can buy a Windows PC for cheaper than a MacBook but 1 year later you having to defrag and the shell starts breaking.

TheHarmattan

*nix Master
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Apple makes some beautiful products. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that they have used Freebase to make their software and charge a crazy price for the end product.

Freebase is free and you can take their code, rename it and you don't have to give them credit.

Apple is so slickusher laugh

TheHarmattan

*nix Master
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Apple makes some beautiful products. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that they have used Freebase to make their software and charge a crazy price for the end product.

Freebase is free and you can take their code, rename it and you don't have to give them credit.

I meant to say FreeBSD!
    jamesearljones

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

Yeah but it's not like you download FreeBSD and it is a replica of MacOS. This is the latest version of FreeBSD:

iu.png

Shit looks like Windows 95 with Windows 7 icons. Apple has put so much effort in MacOS to make it its own OS...it's disingenuous to say other wise.

TheHarmattan

*nix Master
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yeah but it's not like you download FreeBSD and it is a replica of MacOS. This is the latest version of FreeBSD:

View attachment 143

Shit looks like Windows 95 with Windows 7 icons. Apple has put so much effort in MacOS to make it its own OS...it's disingenuous to say other wise.
    The whole reason to use open source software is to make the machine user centric. The photo that you posted is, I believe, a plasma desktop environment. In open source platforms, you are free to change it if you want. I personally use GNOME 40 and I'm in love with it.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    The whole reason to use open source software is to make the machine user centric. The photo that you posted is, I believe, a plasma desktop environment. In open source platforms, you are free to change it if you want. I personally use GNOME 40 and I'm in love with it.
    Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that MacOS and FreeBSD are not synonyms.

TheHarmattan

*nix Master
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Really?
    Apple's XNU and Darwin kernels are direct derivatives of the FreeBSD kernel.

Microsoft's networking stack is ripped whole cloth from FreeBSD.

Maybe I'm not understanding the original premise.
    Did Apple OS rely heavily on BSD to make it's products? Yes.
    According to case law dealing with the GPL, there is a clause that stipulates what a "derived work" is. I'd say that macOS is a derived work from BSD.

TheHarmattan

*nix Master
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Stay with me. We will be covering windowing systems and all of their different parts. I noticed that the icons and the desktop is where you focused your attention.

Apple did create their own windowing systems and compositor to make their copyrighted property. They are free to do that. From a programming perspective, it's like me giving you an unpainted Ferrari and copyrighting Ferrari Red. You are free to use any color except that red. Underneath the hood is what I want us to focus on.

Good convo, Chief

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Really?
    Apple's XNU and Darwin kernels are direct derivatives of the FreeBSD kernel.

Microsoft's networking stack is ripped whole cloth from FreeBSD.

Maybe I'm not understanding the original premise.
    Did Apple OS rely heavily on BSD to make it's products? Yes.
    According to case law dealing with the GPL, there is a clause that stipulates what a "derived work" is. I'd say that macOS is a derived work from BSD.

Stay with me. We will be covering windowing systems and all of their different parts. I noticed that the icons and the desktop is where you focused your attention.

Apple did create their own windowing systems and compositor to make their copyrighted property. They are free to do that. From a programming perspective, it's like me giving you an unpainted Ferrari and copyrighting Ferrari Red. You are free to use any color except that red. Underneath the hood is what I want us to focus on.

Good convo, Chief

I’m not looking at it from a technical lens, im looking at it from a product lens. I can look at an Audi A8 and find all the technical similarities between it and the Bentley Continental Flying Spur but from a product perspective they are not the same and are serving two different markets. The Bentley Continental Flying Spur differentiates enough from the A8 to the point that no reasonable consumer would confuse the two. It’s disingenuous to say Apple is being slick when some of the biggest selling points for MacOS are unique to Apple’s fork. The ecosystem, seamless integration between macOS and iOS devices, FaceTime, the beautiful interface, and other points are uniquely Apple and chief reasons the average person buys Macs.

TheHarmattan

*nix Master
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I’m not looking at it from a technical lens, im looking at it from a product lens. I can look at an Audi A8 and find all the technical similarities between it and the Bentley Continental Flying Spur but from a product perspective they are not the same and are serving two different markets. The Bentley Continental Flying Spur differentiates enough from the A8 to the point that no reasonable consumer would confuse the two. It’s disingenuous to say Apple is being slick when some of the biggest selling points for MacOS are unique to Apple’s fork. The ecosystem, seamless integration between macOS and iOS devices, FaceTime, the beautiful interface, and other points are uniquely Apple and chief reasons the average person buys Macs.
    I conceded the point that Apple did make some proprietary changes. I believe the desktop environment is called Coco and it's closed source. Yes the walled garden, file system and many things are part of Apple's IP. So, in theory, anyone could grab a windowing system and create it on an open source machine. That's my point in a nutshell.

Building a kernel costs big money and unless you have a R&D budget of 10 billion, you're not going to design a useable OS. So, saying that FreeBSD is different than macOS is like saying you and your father are different even though he gave you genes. There is a deep relationship with Apple and BSD that cannot be denied because BSD gave Apple its "genes"
    Cheers!

Microsoft started with DOS. Apple started with BSD and are still using big chunks of the kernel code.

Last but not least, I'm not confused about the two products because of their relationship in computing is pretty solid

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I conceded the point that Apple did make some proprietary changes. I believe the desktop environment is called Coco and it's closed source. Yes the walled garden, file system and many things are part of Apple's IP. So, in theory, anyone could grab a windowing system and create it on an open source machine. That's my point in a nutshell.

Building a kernel costs big money and unless you have a R&D budget of 10 billion, you're not going to design a useable OS. So, saying that FreeBSD is different than macOS is like saying you and your father are different even though he gave you genes. There is a deep relationship with Apple and BSD that cannot be denied because BSD gave Apple its "genes"
    Cheers!

Microsoft started with DOS. Apple started with BSD and are still using big chunks of the kernel code.

Last but not least, I'm not confused about the two products because of their relationship in computing is pretty solid
    I think we are saying the same thing differently.