The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Are designer labels even worth the cost?

eclipsed

Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
I feel like after you spend so much on quality, you are just paying for the brand or label and it seems frivolous to be throwing money away like that.

I have certain brands and qualities I look out for. I will try to find stuff on sale when I can. But like when you are buying jeans for example, the quality doesn't seem to go up after $100. So what is the point of spending more other than to flaunt the label? Maybe this is just me. Just randomly thinking about it.

Geoff

Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
You can always find stuff that’s as good or better than designer stuff at a lower price.

You can also wait until things go on sale or go
To places like Nordstrom Rack or Saks last call. They’ll often have stuff marked way down.
But if it’s something that you’re gonna wear for years, like an overcoat or shoes, then I see nothing wrong with spending more on designer items. If it’s something that’s gonna be out of style next year, then it’s definitely a waste of money.

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    You can always find stuff that’s as good or better than designer stuff at a lower price.

To places like Nordstrom Rack or Saks last call. They’ll often have stuff marked way down.
    But if it’s something that you’re gonna wear for years, like an overcoat or shoes, then I see nothing wrong with spending more on designer items. If it’s something that’s gonna be out of style next year, then it’s definitely a waste of money.

Man have you’ve been seeing the Rack, Last Call, and Off 5th are having a lot of merchandise developed specifically for their brands? I remember about 4-5 years ago you would get some really good finds in the discount retailers but nowadays it’s a bunch of cheap looking stuff.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    My mantra is simple.

• Is it a need?
    • Can I buy two?
    • Will the least expensive option still satisfy the need?
    If I answer “no” to any of the above then I have to stop and identify why I want to purchase the item. Is it an impulse buy, is it keeping up with the jones’, etc.
    Nice lil formula you got there.

D

Deleted member 1946

I've never really been into designer brands and I don't get the hype. I would buy a lot of other things before I would spend thousands on one piece of clothing.
    I don't get the hype either. All that is going on is the person giving the White rich folks their hard earned money.. And we can't figure out why we stay oppressed. It is too easy when we give our money away so easily.

D

Deleted member 1946

I don't care for designer things, mainly because I never see a point in the pricing of said clothes and items. I go for comfort, and just get clothing and items I enjoy. Fancy clothes are cool and all, but I'm not made of money and designer stuff is way overpriced in my opinion.
    I don't like the pricing either. I notice that way too many of our folks don't want to support Black designer/luxury brands the way we should. Some of our versions of luxury is nice. Some not so much. I will support the ones that I think took their time to create a high quality product.

D

Deleted member 1946

My mantra is simple.

• Is it a need?
    • Can I buy two?
    • Will the least expensive option still satisfy the need?
    If I answer “no” to any of the above then I have to stop and identify why I want to purchase the item. Is it an impulse buy, is it keeping up with the jones’, etc.
    I love this. I will borrow this. This is sweet and to the point. If you follow this, then I am sure you are doing better than many.

D

Deleted member 1946

That's the trick. How do you know what will be in style next year?

D

Deleted member 1946

I feel like after you spend so much on quality, you are just paying for the brand or label and it seems frivolous to be throwing money away like that.

I have certain brands and qualities I look out for. I will try to find stuff on sale when I can. But like when you are buying jeans for example, the quality doesn't seem to go up after $100. So what is the point of spending more other than to flaunt the label? Maybe this is just me. Just randomly thinking about it.
    I don't like wasting my money. When my money leaves my pocket, I want it to increase. Unless I can make a profit off of designer clothes, I won't be buying them. I am looking for the cheapest but best value clothes I can get. What I mean is I am not 100 percent fixated on price if something is terrible in quality.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    There was a chart I saw a while back that shows this. Like if you buy designer, eventually you are overpaying. You can get a solid pair of jeans for $120 but in most cases, if you spend more than that on one pair of jeans, you are overpaying. You are just paying for the label, not the materials or effort that went into making them.