Blrd

Anime, Comic Books, Super Heroes, it all goes down here!

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Are you in tech, transitioning to tech, interested in tech?

Blackmamba

Sixer
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
Ooh, I’m so glad to see this thread. I’m considering making a career switch but don’t know if it’s for me or not, any suggestions?
Of course due Diligence comes first, however I would suggest research different roles, see what's required, remember YOUR specific skill sets you already have, and take a chance take a course or 2 it's bags on tables out here...let's go get it!!!!

TekhNiqo

Sixer
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
Been in IT for 10 years and I am finishing my degree because I have the time to. Majoring in CyberSecurity although Cyber Forensics is probably more up my alley...F those classes. I just want the degree so I can legitimize a cirriculum to bring back to our communities and hopefully other institutions can adopt it. They are dumbing down jobs and making it to where either you're watching a robot to make sure they do what it's supposed to do or they simplify the job to where anyone can do it and then justify not hiring as many employees. Also everything is being pushed to some digital platform or cloud service, and most people need basic knowledge just to protect their information. I strongly believe that A+ should be mandatory before leaving highschool and not a certification. They keep that out of our schools especially to gate keep the jobs. They've already taken woodshop and metal shop out of our schools so we are at a disadvantage skill wise. So unlike when we "came out of slavery" and had all the skills they will justify keeping us out of jobs based on a lack thereof.

Outside of that I should be able to bag a decent gig with less hassle, 3-4 days a week at 10-12 hours per. Although if I start making a solid bag on my own then I'm not working for anyone.

Blackmamba

Sixer
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
Been in IT for 10 years and I am finishing my degree because I have the time to. Majoring in CyberSecurity although Cyber Forensics is probably more up my alley...F those classes. I just want the degree so I can legitimize a cirriculum to bring back to our communities and hopefully other institutions can adopt it. They are dumbing down jobs and making it to where either you're watching a robot to make sure they do what it's supposed to do or they simplify the job to where anyone can do it and then justify not hiring as many employees. Also everything is being pushed to some digital platform or cloud service, and most people need basic knowledge just to protect their information. I strongly believe that A+ should be mandatory before leaving highschool and not a certification. They keep that out of our schools especially to gate keep the jobs. They've already taken woodshop and metal shop out of our schools so we are at a disadvantage skill wise. So unlike when we "came out of slavery" and had all the skills they will justify keeping us out of jobs based on a lack thereof.

Outside of that I should be able to bag a decent gig with less hassle, 3-4 days a week at 10-12 hours per. Although if I start making a solid bag on my own then I'm not working for anyone.
Salute to you, I enjoy learning new things so I took a chance and almost finished, willing and ready to learn more!! Let's bring it home ♥️

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Share your knowledge king I'm pursuing data analytics & project management ♥️ let's get these bags and build
    The $0.02 is this:

• Certs are more valuable than degrees in a lot of different IT roles
    • Degrees are necessary if you want to get into management
    • IT is huge and there are a multitude of disciplines within it. Find the niche that interests you and go all the way in.
    • Never stop learning

TekhNiqo

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Salute to you, I enjoy learning new things so I took a chance and almost finished, willing and ready to learn more!! Let's bring it home ♥️
    Yeah it's fun but I been doing IT stuff my whole life but never knew what stuff was called, so the formal training and learning about the different policies and TLA is good

Blackmamba

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    The $0.02 is this:

• IT is huge and there are a multitude of disciplines within it. Find the niche that interests you and go all the way in.
    • Never stop learning
    Couldn't agree more! Especially for those of us (me in particular) who are first starters and have a thriving passion for more. You put in work....you get results 🎯

TekhNiqo

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    The $0.02 is this:

• Never stop learning
    FACTS. Companies want competence and I never had a degree but was competing for jobs because i could do them. I like the school I'm at because of the 50% off Certs. Going for my CompTia Security+, and I want one for CrowdStrike because that looks fun.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    FACTS. Companies want competence and I never had a degree but was competing for jobs because i could do them. I like the school I'm at because of the 50% off Certs. Going for my CompTia Security+, and I want one for CrowdStrike because that looks fun.
    I have a degree and this nigga Jay had the same Engineering job as me and then got promoted and was making more than all of us.

Kanu

Senior Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Latin America
    They are dumbing down jobs and making it to where either you're watching a robot to make sure they do what it's supposed to do or they simplify the job to where anyone can do it and then justify not hiring as many employees.
    That's interesting, i've been reading lately about the low-code no-code stuff. Do you think the IT bubble is about to end?

TekhNiqo

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    That's interesting, i've been reading lately about the low-code no-code stuff. Do you think the IT bubble is about to end?
    No, because IT is so diverse but I meant that as far as what we consider "traditional" or regular jobs will disappear. There is a shift towards letting programs automate most tasks but there will always be a need for someone with the skills to oversee that process. PenTesting for example is a high demand job and they are very lenient about people's pasts if you have the skills. Also, for the interests of security they don't want one admin that has control over multiple aspects of a company because if that admin is ever compromised it's much harder to mitigate damages in case of a breach.

That's just my opinion because my last job all I did was operate a Zeiss, where the machine did all the work. I just had to make sure it was calibrated and be able to fix it when it started to deviate from what it was supposed to do. Easy money but they just want to know you won't break their 500k machine.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    I have been into tech on and off since I was a kid. I think I started using a computer when I was 5 years old. It isn't something I go out of my way for but if I want to learn something new be it software, hardware, programming, etc. then I will teach myself using YouTube and other tools online.

cjg

Senior Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Share your knowledge king I'm pursuing data analytics & project management ♥️ let's get these bags and build
    That's cool. I have a similar background to all of the other posts, and know a little about data analytics software. Are you talking about Splunk? I know that software is all over the place, and can get you a bag if you become proficient in it.

Last edited: