The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Being judged as a group and not an individual?

eclipsed

Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Black folks in America tend to be judged based on others, not based on our own accountability. This is a problem. It isn't right or fair to be judged by someone else's actions simply because we share the same skin color. I do my best to not judge other people based on one common denominator. That is a foolish thing to do but I think most people do it, regardless of skin color, income level, etc.

How can we overcome something like this when it is widely acceptable? I mean you see it in religion, politics, and so on these days. Like people get thrown into a group and judged based on what other people in that group do. How are we meant to stop this pattern of ignorance when it is so heavily established and widely accepted in this country and in different cultures?

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Black folks in America tend to be judged based on others, not based on our own accountability. This is a problem. It isn't right or fair to be judged by someone else's actions simply because we share the same skin color. I do my best to not judge other people based on one common denominator. That is a foolish thing to do but I think most people do it, regardless of skin color, income level, etc.

How can we overcome something like this when it is widely acceptable? I mean you see it in religion, politics, and so on these days. Like people get thrown into a group and judged based on what other people in that group do. How are we meant to stop this pattern of ignorance when it is so heavily established and widely accepted in this country and in different cultures?
    We will never be able to control the narrative against us, white supremacy will always judge us collectively. What we need to do is make sure we adhere to a code and be steadfast in advocating for our interests. If we focus on building collectively and getting what’s ours, who cares what our enemy says.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    We need to learn to take care of each other and stop tearing each other down. The way the culture is in America is designed to separate us and keep us fighting so we can't rise up and be successful as other races in America. Like the whole divide and conquer thing is real. We need to establish our own culture and remove the unhealthy aspects that have been pressured and pushed on us by the people in government and in Hollywood.

Lamont

Sixer
    zBucks
    We need to learn to take care of each other and stop tearing each other down. The way the culture is in America is designed to separate us and keep us fighting so we can't rise up and be successful as other races in America. Like the whole divide and conquer thing is real. We need to establish our own culture and remove the unhealthy aspects that have been pressured and pushed on us by the people in government and in Hollywood.
    Absolutely but what you need to remember is the other races in America are propped up and helped to succeed. We’ve had our own towns, stores, banks that were thriving and time after time the government in all facets would sabotage us. They’ll reclaim our business, our land, and when that didn’t work send the police, military, and white citizenry to wage all out war against us by shooting, bombing, and burning down our towns till nothing was left.

We cannot be compared to any other race in this country because none of the above is being done to them. They do not have code enforcement preying on their businesses the second they open, they don’t have the FBI stalking their every move/sowing descension in every organization they make.

The difference between Black Americans and every other race in this country is that in order to succeed we have to be ready to die. For everyone else, they just have to be willing to try. As @Troy said, if they were that smart, they would have made it in their homelands.

Storm

Sixer
    zBucks
    So true! I see people in our community tearing each other down all the time which is just what they want us to do. The last thing they want is for us to come together and become successful. That's why there's so much hidden agenda in the media outlets.

zBucks
    I hate when they make all of us out to be the bad ones. It's sickening that this still happens, because so many good people are torn down because of this hate.

I'm not joining gangs, doing dumb shit on the streets, or acting out, and yet I still get looked at like I may do those things. It's not right.

I try to present myself as me, a good person who wants to get to know just about everyone, but I still get weird looks from people, as if I'm going to do some messed up thing or something, almost like they're being cautious.

Red Velvet

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    So true! I see people in our community tearing each other down all the time which is just what they want us to do. The last thing they want is for us to come together and become successful. That's why there's so much hidden agenda in the media outlets.
    When we come together we know the good ol' FBI and CIA will be right there to try to break it up.

eclipsed

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    That is the thing like there is always something telling us that we need to have issues with each other on top of people assuming things based on the color of our skin. It pisses me off. Like the whole "uncle tom" thing. Who the hell started that? If you want to be a successful black man and move out of the ghetto you are called a sell-out, an uncle tom, a token for the white people. Like no, wanting a better life for myself and my future family has nothing to do with white people. Why this kind of mindset is so accepted in black communities is beyond me. If anything, you should want to succeed as a giant middle finger to racists, the government, and the establishment who don't want you to succeed.

Lamont

Sixer
    zBucks
    That is the thing like there is always something telling us that we need to have issues with each other on top of people assuming things based on the color of our skin. It pisses me off. Like the whole "uncle tom" thing. Who the hell started that? If you want to be a successful black man and move out of the ghetto you are called a sell-out, an uncle tom, a token for the white people. Like no, wanting a better life for myself and my future family has nothing to do with white people. Why this kind of mindset is so accepted in black communities is beyond me. If anything, you should want to succeed as a giant middle finger to racists, the government, and the establishment who don't want you to succeed.
    Uncle Tom in itself is not problematic; it is an accurate term when leveled towards those who have a mind state of “white is right”. But I do concur, it is juvenile when used towards someone just because they have changed economic status or do a different activity. The honorable @Jay wrote an article about this:

eclipsed

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Uncle Tom in itself is not problematic; it is an accurate term when leveled towards those who have a mind state of “white is right”. But I do concur, it is juvenile when used towards someone just because they have changed economic status or do a different activity. The honorable @Jay wrote an article about this:

I get what you are saying. There is a legit case for using the term but people these days call any black man looking to leave the ghetto an uncle tom. Like bro, wanting a better life doesn't make you a self-hating black man. The whole entrapment of what it means to be black in America is just one giant mind fuq meant to keep us at the bottom. There is culture and then there is cancer and of all the races in this country, we seem to be drowning in the most cancer. If we don't come together and change the course of this modern mindset of the average black man, no positive changes will ever come. No one is looking to help us. They will give us just enough to survive and keep us right where we are unless we choose as individuals to rise up and tell them no more.

We have to make changes in action. Too many sit and complain and do nothing. The best way to overcome is to rise above. Not with violence or anger, but passion and determination that don't quit.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I get what you are saying. There is a legit case for using the term but people these days call any black man looking to leave the ghetto an uncle tom. Like bro, wanting a better life doesn't make you a self-hating black man. The whole entrapment of what it means to be black in America is just one giant mind fuq meant to keep us at the bottom. There is culture and then there is cancer and of all the races in this country, we seem to be drowning in the most cancer. If we don't come together and change the course of this modern mindset of the average black man, no positive changes will ever come. No one is looking to help us. They will give us just enough to survive and keep us right where we are unless we choose as individuals to rise up and tell them no more.

We have to make changes in action. Too many sit and complain and do nothing. The best way to overcome is to rise above. Not with violence or anger, but passion and determination that don't quit.

I don't think that's true though. That's what Uncle Tom's say to try to feel good about being a tap dancing negro. Are there some people that feel that way? Yes which is why I wrote about it. But I don't think it's fair to paint the whole entire Black community as regressionary. Many people are very progressive but are trapped in a system that is built for them to fail.

People have speed bumps in their path and we have landmines, we playing a whole different game.

Nesut

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin

We’re not the ones judging ourselves as a group, it’s the white establishment and it’s their problem to fix. All I can do is raise my kids to understand their power, intelligence, and capabilities and how they are going into a wicked system set up to fail. What White people do after that is on them.

eclipsed

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    I don't think that's true though. That's what Uncle Tom's say to try to feel good about being a tap dancing negro. Are there some people that feel that way? Yes which is why I wrote about it. But I don't think it's fair to paint the whole entire Black community as regressionary. Many people are very progressive but are trapped in a system that is built for them to fail.

People have speed bumps in their path and we have landmines, we playing a whole different game.
    In my area, I have seen it but again you are right to not paint the entire canvas based on a small group. I do my best not to do this but I slip up now and then. I guess it would be fairer to say this is an issue within gangs and toxic families. Where they don't want others to succeed if they can't.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    In my area, I have seen it but again you are right to not paint the entire canvas based on a small group. I do my best not to do this but I slip up now and then. I guess it would be fairer to say this is an issue within gangs and toxic families. Where they don't want others to succeed if they can't.
    Respect.

I get it and we all have that issue but we need to remember that this board exists and the people that are here are here cuz we don't like low rent toxic behavior.