The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Brett Favre got busted for collecting money meant for welfare

Invincible1914

Sixer
Tither
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Brett Favre must return $828K in welfare funds to Mississippi or face civil lawsuit, state auditor says

Former NFL quarterback Brett Favre must return $828,000 that he received from welfare funds, according to a statement from Mississippi State Auditor Shad White. The funds were supposed to go to families in need. Favre received a total of $1.1 million in funds from two non-profit organizations, whose owners have been indicted on federal and state charges concerning their alleged role in the largest embezzlement scheme in Mississippi history.

Favre isn't facing any criminal charges for his involvement, but if he doesn't repay the money within 30 days he will face a civil lawsuit, as will Favre Enterprises. White announced that Mississippi Department of Human Services former executive director John Davis isn't so lucky, as he is currently awaiting trial on embezzlement charges related to the scheme.

Fun fact: I grew up in Mississippi and used to pass his house all of the time on my to Hattiesburg. I once saw him cutting his lawn riding on his riding mower.

zBucks
One thing I hate about this, is that Brett Favre accepted $1.1 million for speaking engagements, and they were for a charitable cause. I hate that celebs are even paid to go to charity events. They should be going for free, considering it's for charity. It just feels scummy to me.

That $1.1 mill could go to families in need. Brett Favre didn't need that money. Who knows though, dude is probably in debt. Doubt he's getting much money these days. Wonder if he can even pay it off.

Invincible1914

Sixer
Tither
Down From Day 1
zBucks
One thing I hate about this, is that Brett Favre accepted $1.1 million for speaking engagements, and they were for a charitable cause. I hate that celebs are even paid to go to charity events. They should be going for free, considering it's for charity. It just feels scummy to me.

That $1.1 mill could go to families in need. Brett Favre didn't need that money. Who knows though, dude is probably in debt. Doubt he's getting much money these days. Wonder if he can even pay it off.
Most charities by athletes and famous people are mostly a tax free hustle. I hate that. It makes you not want to donate to anything.

I’m at the point where when I checkout and they ask do I want to donate; I automatically decline everytime.

jasonrest

Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
Most charities by athletes and famous people are mostly a tax free hustle. I hate that. It makes you not want to donate to anything.

I’m at the point where when I checkout and they ask do I want to donate; I automatically decline everytime.

same here. i dont donate to anything at all. these days.
all of its a hustle.

jasonrest

Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
Yeah like how people was saying 90% of Red Cross donations go to administration. Straight up scam.

yup i know exactly which one youre talking about. i was going to reference it here but didnt have a source.
turns out not only the red cross but the top 5 charities in the nation were all only spending maybe 10 -25% on the actual charity, the rest was going into their pockets.

nah. im good.

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    yup i know exactly which one youre talking about. i was going to reference it here but didnt have a source.
    turns out not only the red cross but the top 5 charities in the nation were all only spending maybe 10 -25% on the actual charity, the rest was going into their pockets.

nah. im good.
    ASPCA was a huge problem with this and used companies like Credico to solicit donations and both companies would dip into the donations.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Brett Favre must return $828K in welfare funds to Mississippi or face civil lawsuit, state auditor says

Former NFL quarterback Brett Favre must return $828,000 that he received from welfare funds, according to a statement from Mississippi State Auditor Shad White. The funds were supposed to go to families in need. Favre received a total of $1.1 million in funds from two non-profit organizations, whose owners have been indicted on federal and state charges concerning their alleged role in the largest embezzlement scheme in Mississippi history.

Favre isn't facing any criminal charges for his involvement, but if he doesn't repay the money within 30 days he will face a civil lawsuit, as will Favre Enterprises. White announced that Mississippi Department of Human Services former executive director John Davis isn't so lucky, as he is currently awaiting trial on embezzlement charges related to the scheme.

Fun fact: I grew up in Mississippi and used to pass his house all of the time on my to Hattiesburg. I once saw him cutting his lawn riding on his riding mower.
    My cousin used to own a few stores in Hattiesburg, and he showed me the school where Brett coached.
    I think he told me Jason Campbell went to that school, too.