Movies and TV

Where TV and Film lovers go to talk about their favorite programming.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

British Actress Weruche Opia Talks About Getting Cast As Coretta Scott King But Not Knowing Anything About Her

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
Super Moderator
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA

disappointed the wire GIF

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
Caribbean
I can't blame any foreign actors to try to make it in America. It's the biggest market and the salaries are the highest. You go where the work is I suppose.

That said, her casting is purely white people doing what white people in that position does and that is to be disrespectful. They are fully aware there are a long line of Black actresses, those with a name and those new to the game, who could do that role very well. So, they are fully aware.

What we need to start doing just like other groups do is find out specific names. Who is the person that chose her? The director? The producer? Whom specifically and you hammer the shyt out of that person on social media to send a warning to the rest. It's what Gays, Jews, Latinos, do except us. They make sure they find a name who is responsible and that person gets canceled.

Whomever it is, they will do white splaining but it won't matter. This is something that there is no reasonable way you can explain yourself out of.

Lastly, once that actor specifically realizes how important that role is to the culture and to black Americans whom she is iconic (and should be iconic among the diaspora), she should be extremely respectful in her portrayal and in how she talks about the person and role in interviews.

They would expect if an black American actor was playing Mandela, Bob Marley or whomever. Mutual respect of cultures, lineage, ethnicity among all Black people should be a given and if not, should be called out.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
Super Moderator
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I can't blame any foreign actors to try to make it in America. It's the biggest market and the salaries are the highest. You go where the work is I suppose.

That said, her casting is purely white people doing what white people in that position does and that is to be disrespectful. They are fully aware there are a long line of Black actresses, those with a name and those new to the game, who could do that role very well. So, they are fully aware.

What we need to start doing just like other groups do is find out specific names. Who is the person that chose her? The director? The producer? Whom specifically and you hammer the shyt out of that person on social media to send a warning to the rest. It's what Gays, Jews, Latinos, do except us. They make sure they find a name who is responsible and that person gets canceled.

Whomever it is, they will do white splaining but it won't matter. This is something that there is no reasonable way you can explain yourself out of.

Lastly, once that actor specifically realizes how important that role is to the culture and to black Americans whom she is iconic (and should be iconic among the diaspora), she should be extremely respectful in her portrayal and in how she talks about the person and role in interviews.

They would expect if an black American actor was playing Mandela, Bob Marley or whomever. Mutual respect of cultures, lineage, ethnicity among all Black people should be a given and if not, should be called out.
"We"? You are Jamaican, Sir.
Whos We GIF by League of Legends

zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA

They would expect if a black American actor was playing Mandela, Bob Marley or whomever. Mutual respect of cultures, lineage, ethnicity among all Black people should be a given and if not, should be called out.
She doesn’t even know who she is or just how deep she is in our hearts. This is just a role to her, a game, a career advancement. All the studying in the world won’t be enough. It’s insulting.

If an FBA actor went to another country we could not play a cultural icon. (Denzel played Steve Biko here, not for a South African production) If this chick wanted to play Coretta in her country that would be fine.

Attacking the producer is a great idea. I’ll post his name when I find it.

RCNAL
RCNAL
I'm surprised she didn't know anything about her, but because we all were raised and grew up in America we assume everyone else does, especially since black American culture and icons tend to be global. Anyway, thanks for trying to do some research. Again, I can't fault her for taking a role, but I do expect her to be on code and respectful. The white people who orchestrated it though needs to be on blast. The only way that happens is through grassroots pro black spaces like this and others.
Rollie Forbes
Rollie Forbes
I like the way that you phrased "raised and grew up in America" to repaint your reality as an immigrant, but growing up here doesn't automatically grant you a connection to our FBA/ADOS icons.
I know several 1st and 2nd gen melanated immigrants who know nothing/very little of our heroes because they weren't taught Black American history at home. In fact, I'll bet my next paycheck that as a boy, you were taught more about Black Jamaican history & culture than you were about Black American history & culture.
That's not a knock against you personally, but that's the norm in many immigrant households.
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
Executive producers:
Ron Howard
Brian Glazer
Gina Prince Bythewood and Reggie Roxk Bythewood were added on😏

Okay fam, let’s get’em.

RCNAL
RCNAL
I'm a little surprised and disappointed in both Ron Howard and Brian Glazer. To the best of my knowledge neither has a history of anti Blackness. As for the others

Her adoptive father is white and her adoptive mother is of Salvadoran and German descent. She grew up in the middle-class neighborhood of Pacific Grove, California. She has four siblings through her adoptive family.

(Reggie Rock) Bythewood resides in with his wife, filmmakSouther California . Gina Blythewood and their two sons. The two met on the set of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air before both being hired on A Different World and married in 1998.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
Caribbean
I'm not gonna go in on the Blythewoods since the big money is obviously Ron Howard and Brian Glazer. The question is if it was forced on them or if they were willing participants or even advocates for her. Until I know for sure, I'll be a bit open on their complicity. But even if it was forced on them, it seems an easy thing to fight about it and win. I mean, the actress doesn't know who the person she's playing versus literally every American black actress who does.