The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Bruce’s Beach can return to descendants of Black family in landmark move signed by Newsom

Redd*Blitz

Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks

Bruce’s Beach can return to descendants of Black family in landmark move signed by Newsom​

image.png.b22465db5a5fadfa0f7a5d76c577bb72.png

From left, Assemblyman Al Muratsuchi, Sen. Steven Bradford, Gov. Gavin Newsom, Los Angeles County Supervisor Janice Hahn and Anthony Bruce, great-great grandson of Charles and Willa Bruce, during Newsom’s signing of SB 796, authorizing the return of ocean-front land to the Bruce family.

In a history-making move celebrated by reparations advocates and social justice leaders across California, Gov. Gavin Newsom has authorized the return of property known as Bruce’s Beach to the descendants of a Black couple that had been run out of Manhattan Beach almost a century ago.

Senate Bill 796, signed into law Thursday by Newsom before an excited crowd that had gathered on the property, confirms that the city’s taking of this shorefront land — on which the Bruces ran a thriving resort for Black beachgoers — was racially motivated and done under false and unlawful pretenses.

“The land in the City of Manhattan Beach, which was wrongfully taken from Willa and Charles Bruce, should be returned to their living descendants,” the legislation declares, “and it is in the public interest of the State of California, the County of Los Angeles, the City of Manhattan Beach, and the People of the State of California to do so.”

The bill had passed unanimously this month in the state Legislature and includes an urgency clause that allows Los Angeles County, which currently owns the property, to immediately begin the process of transferring the land.
State Sen. Steven Bradford (D-Gardena), who authored the bill, said this is a first step toward correcting the many injustices that continue to haunt the state’s — and nation’s — history.

“This bill sets the tone for the future of reparations in California,” said Bradford, who is a member of California’s recently formed reparations task force. “If you can inherit generational wealth, you can inherit generational debt. The city of Manhattan Beach owes a debt to the Bruce family. The state of California owes a debt to the Bruce family, and the county of Los Angeles owes a debt to the Bruce family — and our governor today is here to fix his signature to this bill to pay that debt to the Bruce family.”

The story of Bruce’s Beach attracted increasing attention this last year — and stirred quite a bit of controversy in the very white city of Manhattan Beach. (Black residents to this day make up less than 1% of the population.) Some longtime community leaders have pushed back on the notion that people today should be on the hook for injustices committed 100 years ago, while others have called for restitution.
Anthony Bruce, the great-great grandson of Charles and Willa Bruce, removes his mask before speaking at a press conference

Anthony Bruce, the great-great grandson of Charles and Willa Bruce, removes his mask before speaking at a press conference where California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed SB 796, authorizing the return of ocean-front land to the Bruce family in Manhattan Beach.

Having county and state officials — and now the governor — take action marks a watershed moment for the state and nation. Many say Bruce’s Beach could forge a path for those seeking ways to reckon with our country’s history of violently dispossessing Indigenous people and blocking Black people, Japanese Americans, Latinos and many others from building generational wealth.

Full article:
Bruce’s Beach can return to descendants of Black family in landmark move signed by Newsom

1633640154642.gif

Redd*Blitz

Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
We have an area here called Seatack that got taken from the black residents and turned into the VA Beach strip.

Is he worth checking out? I’ve only watched a few of his vids
Jason Black is worth every listen imo. His delivery can be harsh to some, but it's no more than him being passionate about that of both the Black truth and agenda.

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Jason Black is worth every listen imo. His delivery can be harsh to some, but it's no more than him being passionate about that of both the Black truth and agenda.
    In other words, if you call up to the broadcast and don't know the protocol, you WILL get your feelings hurt.

usher laugh

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Big time lol
    Nigga I remember the first time I called up he clowned me sooooo hard, we were talking about women and he went in on me. He had a female on the line too and they were both laughing and clowning. I felt like Doug Funny when Roger and Gang would clown and Roger's annoying ass laugh would come though.

Redd*Blitz

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Nigga I remember the first time I called up he clowned me sooooo hard, we were talking about women and he went in on me. He had a female on the line too and they were both laughing and clowning. I felt like Doug Funny when Roger and Gang would clown and Roger's annoying ass laugh would come though.

Better you than me. I don't waste time calling if there's going to be a whole lot of yelling, cutting

Maaaan, better you than me lol

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

bornLEPER

Registered
    zBucks
    Well, damn.
    50 Cent Smh GIF
    We have to be honest and admit that this was going to happen the whole time. The family was unable to build on the land and was getting a small yearly payment for it. The $20M may have been the best deal for them.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    If we had wealthy blacks who were B1, the same as there wealthy whites who support white supremacy, one of them could have given the family 20 mil for it and develop it ourselves. Solve two problems. Get the family paid and keep it black.

I only hope the family uses it wisely, at the risk of pocket watching.

The Honorable

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    If we had wealthy blacks who were B1, the same as there wealthy whites who support white supremacy, one of them could have given the family 20 mil for it and develop it ourselves. Solve two problems. Get the family paid and keep it black.

I only hope the family uses it wisely, at the risk of pocket watching.
    I can only assume that the pressure put on the wealthy Blacks is much more immense than any we experience in day to day life. If they get out of line they all can be Kanye.

ProMoatBlack

Sixer First Class+
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    We have to be honest and admit that this was going to happen the whole time. The family was unable to build on the land and was getting a small yearly payment for it. The $20M may have been the best deal for them.
    Developing the land would've yielded way more than 20 mil. This is how the dominant society tries to trick us into giving up our power for a particular dollar amount.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    It was a long struggle to get the land. You'd have thought the family would have had a plan of what to do once they got it.

They didn't. At the end of the day its their land but it would have been nice to have it in black hands. At the risk of throwing them under the bus, unfortunately its going to be the norm with many once reparations is paid in America as well as the Caribbean and Africa.

There is a reason why most lottery winners go broke. That being said, there will be enough of us who get reparations from whomever, wherever who will flip it into generational wealth individually or in groups. It may sound like a small number but even if its only 10 percent (and I think it will be more) are 'smart' with it, it's a game changer.

My hope is that on the journey to reparations, we will have changed culturally before the first check arrives. At least enough of us.

Prof_Cos

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I haven’t been able to find information on if any cash payments will be made. My concern is that they inherit the land, cannot afford taxes, and they sell it back to white people or lose it.
    That's exactly what happened. Sad state of affair, but I wonder if they could have connected with other black folks with money to help circumvent such from happening...🤔