The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Camille A. Brown becomes the first black woman to direct and choreograph a broadway show in 65 years

lexodyssey

Senior Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
I just saw an article about Camille directing the 2022 production of For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When The Rainbow is Enuf. I think it's great seeing black men and women making a splash in a white dominated area like Broadway. I know a lot of people who aspired to be on Broadway were always worried about if they could get cast for certain roles. Now it seems like things are slowly changing and there's so much more opportunity for lead roles instead of background roles.

Camille A. Brown Makes History As The First Black Woman To Direct & Choreograph A Broadway Show In 65 Years

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I appreciate all accomplishments but I'm personally over "first negro" syndrome.
    • First negro to do X
    • First negro to do Y

Funny Face Reaction GIF by NBA

D

Deleted member 1946

I just saw an article about Camille directing the 2022 production of For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When The Rainbow is Enuf. I think it's great seeing black men and women making a splash in a white dominated area like Broadway. I know a lot of people who aspired to be on Broadway were always worried about if they could get cast for certain roles. Now it seems like things are slowly changing and there's so much more opportunity for lead roles instead of background roles.

Camille A. Brown Makes History As The First Black Woman To Direct & Choreograph A Broadway Show In 65 Years
    "The First Black Woman." Why did it take until 2022 to finally get this opportunity? We need to create our own plays. Unfortunately, too many of our folks with the biggest money are sellouts. I have seen it so often.