The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Collectibles as an investment?

eclipsed

Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
A friend of mine's older brother has been doing this for like 10 years now. He buys things like LEGO sets and limited toy items and then just stored them to resell them. He has only sold a few things but he has made a decent profit off them. I just feel like it is a risk because, at any time, you could lose the items in a fire, they could be damaged by water, all sorts could happen. I just don't feel like it is a realistic investment anymore especially not the way toys and stuff are made. If you look at toys from the '70s to '90s, the quality comparison is unreal.

So you think investing in stuff like collectibles or toys is a smart investment?

Storm

Sixer
zBucks
Yeah I know someone who invests in the really high priced sneakers. I know he's always worried about the worst case scenarios like a fire or someone breaking in while he's gone though. He's pretty confident that they won't lose value and that they'll continue to grow though so idk. I don't think I would put that much money into it.

Finesse

Sixer
zBucks
A friend of mine's older brother has been doing this for like 10 years now. He buys things like LEGO sets and limited toy items and then just stored them to resell them. He has only sold a few things but he has made a decent profit off them. I just feel like it is a risk because, at any time, you could lose the items in a fire, they could be damaged by water, all sorts could happen. I just don't feel like it is a realistic investment anymore especially not the way toys and stuff are made. If you look at toys from the '70s to '90s, the quality comparison is unreal.

So you think investing in stuff like collectibles or toys is a smart investment?
Well you can insure collectibles. So if a fire or flooding, or other damage occurs, you are usually covered if it's not your fault.

I know people buy a lot of those Hot Toys/Sideshow collectibles figures that are super realistic. They go for like $200-$1000 and more depending on the size and condition. People insure those things all the time. So technically, if you get your collectibles appraised and find a retail value of all of your products, you could probably make a claim for every figure that you lost.

If you're a collector, you should consider insurance for collectors. I'm sure there is something out there.