Blrd

Anime, Comic Books, Super Heroes, it all goes down here!

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Do we have enough representation in video games?

Banks

Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
These days we have more movies and tv shows featuring a mostly black cast, with a black crew and team. But what about video games. Do you think that we're represented enough in video games? I don't feel like we are represented enough. We do have some games/characters made for us, but I feel like we could make more. I'm always interested in more games made by us, and for us.

Do you think gaming will get to a point where we're better represented?

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    I don't think we are underrepresented in terms of characters but I feel like we need more black creators in video games, period. Like the video game empire is not going away, I hope to see more black creators entering the field. Would love to see an entire gaming company owned and run by black men and women.

Real One

Sixer
    zBucks
    I am in agreement with Sapphire. I think that for the most part, we are represented a lot more than we used to be. Sure it could be more, but I think the many games with character creators shows that we have more freedom with our character options. And we're seeing more black leads in games these days, so I'm happy.

But please do make more with a black cast. I would love to see more black run studios with black creators. This way I believe we can highlight our stories even more.

TekhNiqo

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Hell no and our representation is minimal compared to other people but when you consider that won't change until we create companies to compete with others. We are DEFINITELY under represented in terms of characters created and based on how many of us play video games. We have to find a game that allows for some in dept character customization to feel we have someone. Videogame character "demographics" still perpetuate the old white lie that there are more of them than us in the world. If we looked at the militaries in the world outside of Eastern Asia and Europe you'll notice there's a lot of Black faces in those armies. Sports Videogames have more customization features for white people despite most athletes in pro sports are Black. They have more options because they want to cater to the white people or others that don't look like us playing in pro sports because the reality is different. Black MCs in games is few and far between and I think we get too excited when we see ONE because we aren't used to seeing it but again we need more. Also, and this may be more of an anime thing but I feel it's related, I have a problem with how they depict the dark skinned characters in games. For example, Isabella in Dragon Age 2 is a Promiscuous H** whereas in the newer game the Black Mage Vivienne isn't even a romance option. Eastern Asia is well known for their bias against Black characters in cinema or videogames and when they do create one they're light-skinned and slightly underwhelming compared to other characters. A good example is Cyno and Candace in Genshin Impact. However, with so many of us in the field ot with the skills it's time for us to create our own game and stop begging other people to make games in our image. Asians make their own games and thus get representation, Europeans do the same so truly it's up to us to create what we want.

Bahni.Klyde.Reacts

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Other
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Klyde on this one;

if any of y'all peeped the GameAwards Show last week, I'll say no. They have the black females lead roles up for sure. Good. That game from them final fantasy boys and girls being the headliner. Great looking. However that boost in that department. The flip is gay black dude. (no disrespect to those that roll them dice, this is market observation)

They won't break through til its a straight black dude leading. Like how their "market" leans to the straight white dude protagonist motif. When that's represented to that degree then there's movement.

Miles Morales ain't it and Bayek from ACO, IMHO was the asymptote.

TekhNiqo

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Klyde on this one;

if any of y'all peeped the GameAwards Show last week, I'll say no. They have the black females lead roles up for sure. Good. That game from them final fantasy boys and girls being the headliner. Great looking. However that boost in that department. The flip is gay black dude. (no disrespect to those that roll them dice, this is market observation)

They won't break through til its a straight black dude leading. Like how their "market" leans to the straight white dude protagonist motif. When that's represented to that degree then there's movement.

Miles Morales ain't it and Bayek from ACO, IMHO was the asymptote.
    That's what I'm saying. I liked some of the games that's coming out but don't tell me that we are properly represented in videogames but I don't see it. Idris Alba is not enough.

TekhNiqo

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Another solid example is

Aurion: Legacy of the Kori Odan and I suppose Indivisible but you gotta understand Hindu colloquiums
    I haven't seen this but I definitely am going to check it out after looking screenshots of the gameplay. I'm assuming the characters are Dravidian or based on Dravidians?

Drakbluud

Senior Sixer
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Other
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    These days we have more movies and tv shows featuring a mostly black cast, with a black crew and team. But what about video games. Do you think that we're represented enough in video games? I don't feel like we are represented enough. We do have some games/characters made for us, but I feel like we could make more. I'm always interested in more games made by us, and for us.

Nope. The last memorable character I recall was Sarge from Halo. There’s of course CJ and Franklin, et al from GTA. Oh. And I’m a fan of the Afro Samurai. They’re out there. But not nearly enough. Where’s all my Black Gamedevs at?
    💪🏾💪🏾💪🏾

Hell Johnson

Senior Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

If we want to represent ourselves we're going to have to build it ourselves.

ShermX69X

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Some of my favorite Black characters are in my favorite fighting game Tekken. Their name are Bruce Irvin, Eddie Gordo, Aromr King, Raven/Master Raven, Leroy Smith, and Tiger. Soul Calibur VI is Zasalamel. The problem is that the "others" that control the story lines and character development of these characters are subpar. However the Zasalamel character was done well and thought out with an important part of the current story line.
    Visual search query image
    See the source image
    Image result for Armor King
    Image result for Raven tekken
    See the source image
    Image result for Leroy Smith Tekken Tattoos
    Image result for tekken black characters
    See the source image