Movies and TV

Where TV and Film lovers go to talk about their favorite programming.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Do you go to the theater less these days because of streaming?

Finesse

Sixer
zBucks
I think Covid is a big reason why streaming blew up even more. And now it seems like studios are focusing on releasing movies more for digital than in theaters. Or a mix of both. Do you go to the theater less these days because of streaming? I think the access to the amount of movies and tv you get with streaming is great. And not having to drive to a theater to see a movie is nice sometimes.

But, some movies are still meant to be seen in a movie theater. Like the big super hero movies or the big blockbusters like Avatar and other CGI infested movies. But I think most movies are fine through streaming.

ArYkathaGOAT

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Truth, I go MORE now LOL. I can sometimes get it all to myself, and I'm a day drinker lol. I be on a "Mom ME time MISSION" to a good movie! Without having to make 6 trips to the bathroom. I agree some movies are made for the movie going exp. Also, I love the lame roller-coaster + dancing popcorn, candy & soda LETS all go to the lobby....

Real One

Sixer
    zBucks
    I haven't gone to the theater as much as I used to, but I also blame that on Covid for originally keeping me away so long. But I have started to go out to see movies again. I do enjoy watching movies on a big screen more than streaming, so if I can see a movie in a big theater, I'll take that, especially if it's an IMAX theater or something.

Stan Zero

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    I do stream a lot more than I go to the theater. But I blame that on the pandemic and getting used to not going out as much. I have started to see movies in the theater again, I really missed it, but I do find myself coming back to streaming.

Plus for me, the nearest theater is pretty far away, and takes a decent drive to get there. The weather has been rough here too, so I'm not chancing it to see a movie when I can just stream it instead.

ProMoatBlack

Master Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I do stream a lot more than I go to the theater. But I blame that on the pandemic and getting used to not going out as much. I have started to see movies in the theater again, I really missed it, but I do find myself coming back to streaming.

Plus for me, the nearest theater is pretty far away, and takes a decent drive to get there. The weather has been rough here too, so I'm not chancing it to see a movie when I can just stream it instead.
    I feel you. Now that I homestead I definitely stream more. Too far of a drive. Gotta invest so I can have theater quality experience at home.

Iasia Davis

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

I am a homebody by nature! So streaming is my go to. Unless I'm on a date or the movie is have some sort of significance to it is the only way I will go to the movies.

YahudahQueen96

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I only go to a movie theater when it’s something I really want to see. I live walking distance from a theater. Not even 5 mins away. I usually go twice a year. This year I saw 3 movies and attempted to see 1(Nope). Had an incident happened so we had to leave because the worker didn’t do her job right. My relative received an apology soon after for the mix up. Anyway, I didn’t see the full movie in theaters but a month or more later I saw that Nope is streaming on Peacock. I am glad my brother has an account with them. I watched that movie as well as Halloween ends. So I didn’t have to waste time going to a theaters. That’s a bonus with having streaming services. I can watch movies on Netflix and Prime too (I pay for both).
    Pros:
    1. You get to watch movies in the comforts of your home and with privacy.

2. Save money going to theater, buying expensive snacks.

3. Don’t have to freeze your ass off in theater room.

4. Can pause, rewind, forward, and rewatch film multiple times as it is available.

5. Don’t have to deal with crowds.

Cons:

1. Not the same movie experience at home nor seating arrangement, 3D.

2. May not have access to the movie you want to see at home, don’t want to pay for an extra movie streaming service.

3. Too much time spent at home.

There are more pros than cons, but I still feel connected to the movie theater. There is a Black owned theater in the town I previously lived at (look out for it on the blk list). It has some cool amenities in there and a complete transformation to the former theater (which was white owned). The restaurant is still there, but the black owned and white restaurant established business with each other. The theater is dine in, I love it. The only issue I have with theaters is the cold temperature. It’s like you have to bundle up and have a Snuggie, mittens, hat, and blanket on. Last time I was at the black owned theater with family was the past summer. We were happy to leave because of how cold we were. We were in the front laughing about it with other customers who came out the theater as well.

Depending on the situation, like if it’s bad weather or I don’t want to waste money or time on going to a theater, I will stay home and watch if it’s on my streaming services. But then again I really love the IMAX experience. The reserved seating is comfortable for me, so I don’t have to sit in my wheelchair. 👍🏾