Gaming

The official community for Sixers who have a passion for all things video games.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Do You Think We’ve Seen the End of Live Service Games?

Goldie-Tron

Sixer
zBucks
With Ubisoft on the ropes, Halo Infinite leading to a series reboot, and a bunch of other games getting the boot is it over for live service? I hope so because games like Anthem, Destiny, and shit like that could be so much better if they were released as complete packages. Nowadays developers release half assed games and call it live service and then patch in shit that should have been there on day one.

Goldie-Tron

Sixer
zBucks
Those developers found a way to convince fans to PAY THEM to QA their game for free basically.
Good point and what makes it even worse is that these suckers were preordering to be QA. Gamers are ruining gaming.

H
HailCzr85
I don't think it's the gamers. So many of these people are kids whose parents are buying on their behalf and don't know any better and the rest are streamers who have to get the game or lose their followers to other streamers.

The blame is still squarely on the developers' shoulders, IMO.

JerriBun

Master Sixer
Super Moderator
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I don't think the end is here. One thing I noticed about live service games that vanish or close early is that they are very repetitive. Look at what happened to "Darwin Project". Great idea, but after so many games it got boring to play and watch because you saw the same people ALL the time, same maps, etc... Nothing new but cosmetics.

Also, these developers see them as easy cash cows, and it's not that simple. You can't throw a Battle Pass at everything and expect it to succeed. Gamers are simple creatures, at heart, but show some effort (lol!)

Two live service games that I play seem to have figured out a formula that works (at the moment): Fortnite and Dead By Daylight.

At least Rumbleverse is offering refunds:

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I don't think the end is here. One thing I noticed about live service games that vanish or close early is that they are very repetitive. Look at what happened to "Darwin Project". Great idea, but after so many games it got boring to play and watch because you saw the same people ALL the time, same maps, etc... Nothing new but cosmetics.

Also, these developers see them as easy cash cows, and it's not that simple. You can't throw a Battle Pass at everything and expect it to succeed. Gamers are simple creatures, at heart, but show some effort (lol!)

Two live service games that I play seem to have figured out a formula that works (at the moment): Fortnite and Dead By Daylight.

At least Rumbleverse is offering refunds:

Unfortunately I have to agree with you. I don’t think it’s gone but I think we are going to see the more low effort devs give up. We’ll also probably see the death of the full price/half the content live service games we have seen flood the market. Fortnite is the perfect example of how a live service game should be. Free to download, free to play, but everything costs money.