A Bottle of Wine & A Good Book - Book Club

Join our very own BLACK Book Club & discuss books that you have read and express your opinions, likes, dislikes, etc. Join and find recommendations for new reads, while converse with like-minded readers. Oh yeah, we like wine too.... cheers!

'Eternal Night' By Shawn James

D

Deleted member 1475

Author
Shawn James
Type
Fiction
Link to Purchase
https://amzn.to/3X1hBbp
This isn't a review but more of what I think of this book so far. I wasn't really hyped for this book when I bought it, I decided to keep it because I was curious and needed more non-fiction in my collection of books, but this story is really interesting and gets deeper the more you read it. I was put off by how close the chapters were to each other but that just got me into the story more, I like stories that flow and don't take breaks. I was also surprised with how mature the book was as there are some strong sexual themes and it doesn't let up with how naturally brutal the overall events turn out to be but if this book was more popular than it is right now then I'd say it would turn out to be a great horror classic for future Black authors to be inspired by.

20230203_134302.jpg 20230125_183820.jpg

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    How is the writing? Is it an easy read? Does it take your mind to the locales? Is it expressive?

B
    B1 Ski-Kid
    The writing is okay. The whole story is told through the perspectives of the characters so it can be a bit confusing when you switch to another chapter and it's a different character giving their own narration of the events that are happening within the story, so if for example, a character falls asleep in the same room as another character, then the chapter will end, with another one beginning and starting with the character that is looking at the other character who fell asleep. So unless you're paying close attention to what's going on and who is who, you might struggle to find where you're at in the story.

It's simple to understand the scenes and settings but there isn't a lot of detail to it outside of "The mahogany nightstand across from me" or "The majestic black Victorian mansion at the top of the hill", real quotes from the book. But it might just be me with how many environmentally descriptive books of fiction that I've read. I'd say that the writing is pretty expressive with how the author, kind of puts us through the shoes of his characters and delivers a quick basis of understanding as to how the characters are meant to be portrayed and only gives us a justification of the characters actions if they are needed but at the moment, the evil characters just feel evil and the good guys are just good with some depth to their personality and reasoning.

josiah starr

Master Sixer
    Community Host
    Supporter
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    This isn't a review but more of what I think of this book so far. I wasn't really hyped for this book when I bought it, I decided to keep it because I was curious and needed more non-fiction in my collection of books, but this story is really interesting and gets deeper the more you read it. I was put off by how close the chapters were to each other but that just got me into the story more, I like stories that flow and don't take breaks. I was also surprised with how mature the book was as there are some strong sexual themes and it doesn't let up with how naturally brutal the overall events turn out to be but if this book was more popular than it is right now then I'd say it would turn out to be a great horror classic for future Black authors to be inspired by.

View attachment 6578 View attachment 6579
    Love it. Very nice pre-review. There is nothing as good as a book that captures your imagination.