The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Ever met a famous person?

Banks

Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
Has there ever been a time where you met a famous person? I have not yet met anyone famous. Unless you count the one time I saw Carrot Top walking down the street when I visited Florida. Or at least it looked like the guy. I could be wrong. I am by no means a fan of him, just thought it was cool to see a celeb, even if it's a D list, and forgotten one. :D

Anyway, did you ever meet someone famous? How did it go? What was it like to meet them?

TekhNiqo

Sixer
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
Depends on how you define famous. I’ve met Baby Bash, hooped with (against) Mista Fab at 24, Haq Shabazz the producer, Paul Wall and Kurupt at Hempcon, I’ve met Prof James Smalls at a screening of Hapi (took a picture) I met Draymond Green’s mom (also took a picture) and I had a math class with Kamayiah but that may not count because she wasn’t famous yet and if that counts then myself because I’ll also be famous…probably for something ignorant and not at all what I would like to be famous for.

TekhNiqo

Sixer
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
Depends on how you define famous. I’ve met Baby Bash, hooped with (against) Mista Fab at 24, Haq Shabazz the producer, Paul Wall and Kurupt at Hempcon, I’ve met Prof James Smalls at a screening of Hapi (took a picture) I met Draymond Green’s mom (also took a picture) and I had a math class with Kamayiah but that may not count because she wasn’t famous yet and if that counts then myself because I’ll also be famous…probably for something ignorant and not at all what I would like to be famous for.
Paul Wall was like a regular white dude and I didn’t even notice he was standing behind me until someone said something, I met Kurupt but for like 5 minutes but that’s when he came out with that moon rock, Baby Bash was trying to sell something at his stand. Prof James Smalls had an aura about him which was CRAZY, Dr Leonard Jeffries and Dr Wade Nobles were also there but you’d had to be there to see it and it was a powerful event. Draymond Green mom I met while working in my aunts shop and I am a long time warrior fan so I took the pic. She had like a white lady who was like an attendant or something.

DOSO

Sixer
Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Has there ever been a time where you met a famous person? I have not yet met anyone famous. Unless you count the one time I saw Carrot Top walking down the street when I visited Florida. Or at least it looked like the guy. I could be wrong. I am by no means a fan of him, just thought it was cool to see a celeb, even if it's a D list, and forgotten one. :D

Anyway, did you ever meet someone famous? How did it go? What was it like to meet them?
    Yeah. When I first moved out to Oakland, I remember having a class with Opeo off of the "The Souls Of Mischief". I saw 'Glen Plummer', the guy that played O.G. Bobby Johnson on Park Blvd, and I saw John Starks at a dealership in Oakland. One thing about the West Coast, there are alot of stars out here.

TekhNiqo

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yeah. When I first moved out to Oakland, I remember having a class with Opeo off of the "The Souls Of Mischief". I saw 'Glen Plummer', the guy that played O.G. Bobby Johnson on Park Blvd, and I saw John Starks at a dealership in Oakland. One thing about the West Coast, there are alot of stars out here.
    That's for real and half the time you don't even realize that they are somebody until after the fact.

Terrymist

Master Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    British
    There was a screening of Hidden Colors 5 in Birmingham, England. I met Kaba Kamene were he signed the book he wrote on Professor William Hansberry, that I bought.
    Also, I've met Beverley Knight outside a club in Birmingham. We had a brief chat, she was cool to talk to.

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    whew. so many. for a few years, I published my own magazine, photographed, and did interviews for other outlets in the music industry.

Arrested Development - real cool. my black-and-white shots of them led into my other opportunities in the industry. They had a home studio in ATL. They would come here, record, pressed their cds, then take it back overseas. Speech actually went platinum in Japan as a solo artist a couple of times I think.

Russell Simmons - quiet. i got simp energy from him. lol
    Lloyd Banks - cool dude. DJ Green Lantern was with him

Killer Mike - he was cool. he offered me weed during our meeting. lol. he tracked me down on twitter and actually called me at 4am from Stankonia studios after seeing my magazine with janelle monae on the cover. The intern at the studio told him who i was. I featured the intern in a previous issue under Dreamers at Work, because he was a dope up and coming rapper from Memphis. He was young but cool and professional. That was good looking out when Killer Mike had an interest in my work. Years later, he actually became a manager at Stankonia and was featured on Big Boi and Sleepy Brown's album last year. So, I called it. lol.

Yelawolf - coked out in the studio lol
    Drummaboy - high af and was rambling. lol
    Andre 3K - never talked to him personally, but seen him in passing a couple of times with his father and son chillin

Big Boi - went to his halloween party for his non-profit to raise money for kids. He was cool, but he kicked a woman out for being drunk and talking reckless. then he got on the mic and roasted her ass. lol

Pharrell Williams - at a mansion party promoting his terrible ass drink. JD was his DJ. Michael Bryan Cox was also there. Other celebs. Can't remember. But the event was so private, i got a random text message the day of the party to a random address that led to a parking lot. Minutes later, a bunch of vans appeared to take us to where the real party was.

Janelle Monae - back as far as 2008. always been quiet and lowkey offstage. She's on some other shit now.
    9th Wonder - got arrogant energy from him. didn't speak to him tho
    Shawty Lo - attended one of his last photoshoots before he died

Kendrick Lamar at a signing after his first concert in ATL. Schoolboy Q was just his hypeman at the time. During the Section.80 era
    -----that same night, I saw Cory Gunz (remember him?) and he got into it with Kendrick backstage because he was mad he wasn't the headliner. But he came underprepared and only had that one hit with Wayne. After that night, I never seen him since. We boo-ed him off stage and called him Water Gunz because his performance was trash.

it's early and I'm still waking up. I'm missing plenty more. Guess I didn't see them as important. But anyway, I met plenty over the years.

oh yeah, fun fact - there was a Andre 3000 solo album in the works. I heard some uncompleted songs years ago while chillin in the basement of Big Boi's DJ, Cutmaster Swiff.

TekhNiqo

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    whew. so many. for a few years, I published my own magazine, photographed, and did interviews for other outlets in the music industry.

Arrested Development - real cool. my black-and-white shots of them led into my other opportunities in the industry. They had a home studio in ATL. They would come here, record, pressed their cds, then take it back overseas. Speech actually went platinum in Japan as a solo artist a couple of times I think.

Russell Simmons - quiet. i got simp energy from him. lol
    Lloyd Banks - cool dude. DJ Green Lantern was with him

Killer Mike - he was cool. he offered me weed during our meeting. lol. he tracked me down on twitter and actually called me at 4am from Stankonia studios after seeing my magazine with janelle monae on the cover. The intern at the studio told him who i was. I featured the intern in a previous issue under Dreamers at Work, because he was a dope up and coming rapper from Memphis. He was young but cool and professional. That was good looking out when Killer Mike had an interest in my work. Years later, he actually became a manager at Stankonia and was featured on Big Boi and Sleepy Brown's album last year. So, I called it. lol.

Yelawolf - coked out in the studio lol
    Drummaboy - high af and was rambling. lol
    Andre 3K - never talked to him personally, but seen him in passing a couple of times with his father and son chillin

Big Boi - went to his halloween party for his non-profit to raise money for kids. He was cool, but he kicked a woman out for being drunk and talking reckless. then he got on the mic and roasted her ass. lol

Pharrell Williams - at a mansion party promoting his terrible ass drink. JD was his DJ. Michael Bryan Cox was also there. Other celebs. Can't remember. But the event was so private, i got a random text message the day of the party to a random address that led to a parking lot. Minutes later, a bunch of vans appeared to take us to where the real party was.

Janelle Monae - back as far as 2008. always been quiet and lowkey offstage. She's on some other shit now.
    9th Wonder - got arrogant energy from him. didn't speak to him tho
    Shawty Lo - attended one of his last photoshoots before he died

Kendrick Lamar at a signing after his first concert in ATL. Schoolboy Q was just his hypeman at the time. During the Section.80 era
    -----that same night, I saw Cory Gunz (remember him?) and he got into it with Kendrick backstage because he was mad he wasn't the headliner. But he came underprepared and only had that one hit with Wayne. After that night, I never seen him since. We boo-ed him off stage and called him Water Gunz because his performance was trash.

it's early and I'm still waking up. I'm missing plenty more. Guess I didn't see them as important. But anyway, I met plenty over the years.

oh yeah, fun fact - there was a Andre 3000 solo album in the works. I heard some uncompleted songs years ago while chillin in the basement of Big Boi's DJ, Cutmaster Swiff.
    That’s dope. I had a feeling about Yelawolf, I used to think he was cool until I looked into some of the songs of his that I liked and found out a Black dude was either the writer or co writer of the songs. I saw the name on apple music but it is hard to find now that I use spotify.

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    That’s dope. I had a feeling about Yelawolf, I used to think he was cool until I looked into some of the songs of his that I liked and found out a Black dude was either the writer or co writer of the songs. I saw the name on apple music but it is hard to find now that I use spotify.
    Yeah, I met the black guy before at the studio. He was cool too. I forgot his name. And I think he was his producer as well.

TekhNiqo

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yeah, I met the black guy before at the studio. He was cool too. I forgot his name. And I think he was his producer as well.
    Yeah and I searched him on Soundcloud and he definitely has that ear for music. It just reminded me that none of those white dudes write their own stuff. Even Eminem had Royce but big ups to you for having that magazine and making that happen. That’s impressive.

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yeah and I searched him on Soundcloud and he definitely has that ear for music. It just reminded me that none of those white dudes write their own stuff. Even Eminem had Royce but big ups to you for having that magazine and making that happen. That’s impressive.
    WLPWR "will power" is his name. Had to dig for it. Lol.

Thx man. I had it for about five years, 30+ issues in print. It was a grind. But we did some dope work and met a lot of people.

TekhNiqo

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    WLPWR "will power" is his name. Had to dig for it. Lol.

Thx man. I had it for about five years, 30+ issues in print. It was a grind. But we did some dope work and met a lot of people.
    Yeah I started to look it up too but I had to run errands and wash a bunch of clothes so I said F it.

It’s sounds like a dope experience and definitely doesn’t sound easy. Are you doing anything similar these days or in the future because I’d love to support it

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Unfortunately, everything so digital these days, it's costly to do print. And it's harder to build a consistent team. People are so unreliable.

You can see all the issues here. I shot all of the covers. The magazine is a mix of black fashion, poetry, interviews, whatever I thought was interesting.

Towards the end, we were producing podcasts under the magazine brand. And from there, me and Equis created The Black Narrative on YouTube.

I'm always working on different projects. Currently, working with Jay with 6Z and two other black owned tech startups in early stages of their product.

And next month, I'll be announcing plans to create care packages for HBCU students in ATL. And we could use everyone's support once we launch that.

zBucks
    Can't say I have met anyone famous myself. Then again I don't seek anyone famous out, I'm not someone who likes to meet their favorite celebs, or sports stars. Not because I don't want to, I think it'd be great to meet many celebs, but I think I would feel intimidated about it. I'm a very anxious person around others. I am not a talkative person in person. It takes me a while to get used to people, online it's easy, but in person I have anxiety that bogs me down a lot. Now imagine if I met a celeb I am a fan of, I'd probably be speechless and would end up leaving pretty fast.

If my anxiety wasn't a problem, I think meeting Michael Jordan would be cool. I mean, who wouldn't want to meet Jordan?