Blrd

Anime, Comic Books, Super Heroes, it all goes down here!

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Gamestop Is On Life Support

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
Super Moderator
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
Super Moderator
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I use GameFly anyway. GameStop should have found a way to capture the rental market. Being honest, I'm shocked they lasted this long. They're like the Kodak of gaming.
Gamestop had a sweet "rental" program:
1. Buy a used game.
2. Beat the game within 7 days.
3. Return that joint for a full refund!
FRGUaPb.png

H
HailCzr85
Season 2 Lol GIF by Insecure on HBO

I never indulged in that aspect of "renting" lol. I was a game keeper and I only sold them when I was strapped for cash.

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    GameStop is the new Tower Records and they are definitely in their last days. Their life blood is used game sales and with many gamers going digital their business model is getting creamed in two directions.
    • They’re losing the thin margin they had on new game sales to XBOX, PS, Steam and Epic digital game stores.
    • They’re losing the used game sale because there is no used disc for consumers to sell in digital transactions.
    Microsoft tried to kill them off with XBOX One but got a stay of execution when Microsoft did a 180 with the 360’s successor. #bigpun

In that time they weren’t able to find a new business model and now they are stuck trying to compete with competitors who have no retail overhead, huge payroll, and local marketing costs.

#gameover

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    GameStop is the new Tower Records and they are definitely in their last days. Their life blood is used game sales and with many gamers going digital their business model is getting creamed in two directions.
    • They’re losing the thin margin they had on new game sales to XBOX, PS, Steam and Epic digital game stores.
    • They’re losing the used game sale because there is no used disc for consumers to sell in digital transactions.
    Microsoft tried to kill them off with XBOX One but got a stay of execution when Microsoft did a 180 with the 360’s successor. #bigpun

In that time they weren’t able to find a new business model and now they are stuck trying to compete with competitors who have no retail overhead, huge payroll, and local marketing costs.

#gameover
    Jay, you know damn well you're too young to know about TOWER RECORDS! 🤣🤣

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    They made the same mistake Blockbuster did. They did not advance with the market and they let other places run them out of business. It is a shame but I really thought it was going to be shut down in 2015 with how bad it was doing back then. I am impressed it lasted another 8 years. The one by me seldom has any customers and they announced they are closing in June.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    I watched a video on this recently. I was like "damn wtf happened!?"...

I feel like this is mostly down to the digital take over. A lot of their core customers opted to buy digital. This is what happens when you have a cheaper digital console option. I think it is something like only 15% of xbox players have a series X, most play on the series S.