Politics, Current Events, and Serious Discussion

Stats

Category
News and Politics
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Gavin Newsom: DeSantis Isn't Anti-Woke, He's Anti-Black.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
Super Moderator
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA

Newsom: DeSantis isn’t anti-woke, he’s ‘anti-Black’​

The California governor castigated his Republican rival on “Late Night with Seth Meyers.”
California Gov. Gavin Newsom.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican and California Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Democrat, continue their red state versus blue state battle.

| Patrick T. Fallon/AFP via Getty Images
By Lara Korte
12/14/2023 01:44 AM EST

Gov. Gavin Newsom took another swing at his Republican nemesis in a conversation with “Late Night” host Seth Meyers Wednesday, stopping just short of calling Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis racist.

“It’s not anti-woke,” he said of the Republican governor’s conservative policies. “What he really means is anti-Black.”

A spokesperson for DeSantis did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Seth Meyers appearance follows last month’s face-off with DeSantis, moderated by Fox News’ Sean Hannity, where Newsom struggled to land direct jabs at the Florida governor in a messy, 90-minute debate. The California Democrat, a major surrogate for President Joe Biden’s reelection campaign and probable 2028 White House contender, had hoped to show off his blue state bonafides on the national stage. But what was billed as a fair fight between the governors quickly devolved into a two-on-one situation, with Newsom fending off blows from both Hannity and DeSantis.

Speaking in more friendly territory to Meyers in New York City Wednesday, the Democratic governor had free rein to castigate DeSantis — including his floundering presidential campaign.

“I’m not running for president,” Newsom said. “Ron DeSantis, apparently, still is.”

Newsom accused him of censoring facts, rewriting history and going after marginalized groups.

“I’ve developed a lot of animus toward him because of his animus toward all of you,” he said to the studio audience that frequently applauded Newsom. “This guy is scapegoating vulnerable communities. He’s attacking minorities, attacking women, and I don’t like it.”

Newsom has repeatedly rebuffed speculations that he’s mounting a bid for president in 2024, and has shown deference to Biden. He told Meyers it was an honor to be” on Hannity “to tell the truth about the Biden record”. He’s also criticized Democrats for failing to counter Republican narratives on culture war issues.
The governor hit that point again on Wednesday, saying that he agreed to the debate because he felt it was important to “hold these guys accountable.”
“I wanted to push back against it,” he said of DeSantis’ policies around transgender students and drag shows. “I felt like the party was a little timid on all this.”

He said Democrats need to be the ones hitting Republicans first over things like gun control.

“On all of these issues we’re on the right side but we just need to get on the other side of our anxieties and doubts and go on the offensive,” he said.
Meyers also gave Newsom a chance to rebuff Republican criticism of his own state, asking him about the pervasive homelessness in California, a costly high-speed rail project and the problems plaguing his hometown of San Francisco.

“They’ve been on a doom loop about San Francisco ever since Nancy Pelosi became speaker,” Newsom said.

Via: Gavin Newsom: DeSantis isn’t anti-woke, he’s ‘anti-Black’

D

Deleted member 1946

Newsom: DeSantis isn’t anti-woke, he’s ‘anti-Black’​

The California governor castigated his Republican rival on “Late Night with Seth Meyers.”
California Gov. Gavin Newsom.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican and California Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Democrat, continue their red state versus blue state battle.

| Patrick T. Fallon/AFP via Getty Images
By Lara Korte
12/14/2023 01:44 AM EST

Gov. Gavin Newsom took another swing at his Republican nemesis in a conversation with “Late Night” host Seth Meyers Wednesday, stopping just short of calling Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis racist.

“It’s not anti-woke,” he said of the Republican governor’s conservative policies. “What he really means is anti-Black.”

A spokesperson for DeSantis did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Seth Meyers appearance follows last month’s face-off with DeSantis, moderated by Fox News’ Sean Hannity, where Newsom struggled to land direct jabs at the Florida governor in a messy, 90-minute debate. The California Democrat, a major surrogate for President Joe Biden’s reelection campaign and probable 2028 White House contender, had hoped to show off his blue state bonafides on the national stage. But what was billed as a fair fight between the governors quickly devolved into a two-on-one situation, with Newsom fending off blows from both Hannity and DeSantis.

Speaking in more friendly territory to Meyers in New York City Wednesday, the Democratic governor had free rein to castigate DeSantis — including his floundering presidential campaign.

“I’m not running for president,” Newsom said. “Ron DeSantis, apparently, still is.”

Newsom accused him of censoring facts, rewriting history and going after marginalized groups.

“I’ve developed a lot of animus toward him because of his animus toward all of you,” he said to the studio audience that frequently applauded Newsom. “This guy is scapegoating vulnerable communities. He’s attacking minorities, attacking women, and I don’t like it.”

Newsom has repeatedly rebuffed speculations that he’s mounting a bid for president in 2024, and has shown deference to Biden. He told Meyers it was an honor to be” on Hannity “to tell the truth about the Biden record”. He’s also criticized Democrats for failing to counter Republican narratives on culture war issues.
The governor hit that point again on Wednesday, saying that he agreed to the debate because he felt it was important to “hold these guys accountable.”
“I wanted to push back against it,” he said of DeSantis’ policies around transgender students and drag shows. “I felt like the party was a little timid on all this.”

He said Democrats need to be the ones hitting Republicans first over things like gun control.

“On all of these issues we’re on the right side but we just need to get on the other side of our anxieties and doubts and go on the offensive,” he said.
Meyers also gave Newsom a chance to rebuff Republican criticism of his own state, asking him about the pervasive homelessness in California, a costly high-speed rail project and the problems plaguing his hometown of San Francisco.

“They’ve been on a doom loop about San Francisco ever since Nancy Pelosi became speaker,” Newsom said.

Via: Gavin Newsom: DeSantis isn’t anti-woke, he’s ‘anti-Black’
Is DeSantis still running for the presidency?

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
Caribbean
Newsom saying the quiet part out loud. But I am wary of him. The group for reparations in California, made up in part by not only non foundational but non blacks, was tryna get money to everyone, latinos, foreigners, etc.
Took Blacks in Cali (shout to Jay for being part of it) to call them out.

But Desantis is outright anti Black, that's a given. He is fairly open about it. Using woke as a code word for Black.

I don't trust Newsom either. But he's not wrong about Desantis .I'm just surprised someone said the quiet part out loud.