The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Gender Bias In Medicine

lexodyssey

Senior Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
I heard a statement made the other day that was along the lines of "doctors are to black women as police are to black men" and the comments on it were really eye opening. So many stories of women who struggled to get their doctors to listen to them and some had even lost family members due to not being listened to. I think it starts to create a really big problem where black women feel so worried about being brushed off by the doctor that they don't go at all. I also know that a lot of research isn't being done on how disease presents itself in black women. I feel like all of this is a silent killer that no one talks about. What do you think about it? Have you girls ever had any bad experiences?

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I heard a statement made the other day that was along the lines of "doctors are to black women as police are to black men" and the comments on it were really eye opening. So many stories of women who struggled to get their doctors to listen to them and some had even lost family members due to not being listened to. I think it starts to create a really big problem where black women feel so worried about being brushed off by the doctor that they don't go at all. I also know that a lot of research isn't being done on how disease presents itself in black women. I feel like all of this is a silent killer that no one talks about. What do you think about it? Have you girls ever had any bad experiences?
    Straight facts and I don’t want to deviate from your central message but it’s not just relegated to Black women, it’s Black people in general.

A University of Virginia study released this week says that racial bias, down to the perception of whether a patient has a stereotypical African-American or white name, can determine whether or not the patient’s pain is correctly diagnosed and treated.

The study found that white medical students who hold false beliefs about biological differences between blacks and whites were more likely to believe a black patient was in less pain than he or she actually was. Those false beliefs, such as black people have thicker skin than white people and black people's nerve endings aren't as sensitive as whites', also led the medical students to make inadequate pain treatment recommendations.

If you’re Black and going into the medical system you have to deal with the fact that you exist in the imaginations of white people and Asians. They have their own theories about who we are and they are not good.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yes

my baby moms was getting a c-section with our daughter and they numbed her and she said “I can still feel it” and the doctor said “no, you’re numbed” and she was adamant “I can still feel it, I need more anesthesia” and they finally gave her more. these assholes were trying to cut into her when she was in pain.

Banks

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yes

my baby moms was getting a c-section with our daughter and they numbed her and she said “I can still feel it” and the doctor said “no, you’re numbed” and she was adamant “I can still feel it, I need more anesthesia” and they finally gave her more. these assholes were trying to cut into her when she was in pain.
    I heard something similar. A friend of mine and his wife had an issue where she didn't have enough for the pain. She was giving birth and ended up passing out from the pain. Which I don't think is good when you're giving birth. Was a very scary time, they gave her more to numb the pain and she was able to get through it. But she shouldn't have had to deal with any pain from it.

I've had good luck with doctors though, but then again, I don't go to them that often because of my fear of doctors. My girlfriend doesn't go that much either, but she has had issues with her doctors in the past. Usually when it comes to her medications and her back problems. They ended up messing her back up worse, as they pointed her to a crappy chiropractic doctor who did nothing to help her. He cracked her back, but that is what made it worse for her. And there seems to be nothing they can do. bs.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I tend to go with Asian or Indian doctors for this reason. Like no offense to white doctors, but I feel like they can really brush over some stuff and not many know the differences when it comes to genetics. I am a nurse and I do see it.

Black folks are more prone to things like diabetes, strokes at a younger age, sarcoidosis, high blood pressure earlier in life, and the rate at which black folks die from cancer is much higher than white folks, especially for black men.

There are issues here with living on lower quality food, not taking care of one's body, not going to the doc when you should, not having insurance, and all that but we can't ignore that a lot of black men and women, even children, are brushed off and not as thoroughly examined as whites, Hispanics, or Asian patients.

Red Velvet

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    I tend to go with Asian or Indian doctors for this reason. Like no offense to white doctors, but I feel like they can really brush over some stuff and not many know the differences when it comes to genetics. I am a nurse and I do see it.

Black folks are more prone to things like diabetes, strokes at a younger age, sarcoidosis, high blood pressure earlier in life, and the rate at which black folks die from cancer is much higher than white folks, especially for black men.

There are issues here with living on lower quality food, not taking care of one's body, not going to the doc when you should, not having insurance, and all that but we can't ignore that a lot of black men and women, even children, are brushed off and not as thoroughly examined as whites, Hispanics, or Asian patients.
    Question Mark What GIF by Aminé

Girl you go to Asians and Indians and get great care, I'm glad you're being taken care of. I try to find an African or Black but always sette on the White girl with the most 5 star ratings.

Jball

Registered
    zBucks
    One of my friends got into an accident and was wounded badly crying out for medical treatment in hospital faced a racial discrimination and was attended late. I really think it’s important for all of us to come out and speak for racial inequality so that everyone should be given quality health care regardless of their gender, colour or ethnicity.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

Girl you go to Asians and Indians and get great care, I'm glad you're being taken care of. I try to find an African or Black but always sette on the White girl with the most 5 star ratings.
    In my area, most doctors are Asian or Indian and they do a good job. This is my experience though. I have had a few white doctors and they aren't as patient. They seem to rush and not answer all my questions. Like if my insurance is paying you, you should be able to answer my questions. lol

Storm

Sixer
    zBucks

Same here lol I'm so glad my doctor is a black woman and even a few of the nurses are black. It took me forever to find her but I feel so much better going to my doctor appointments now.

Red Velvet

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    In my area, most doctors are Asian or Indian and they do a good job. This is my experience though. I have had a few white doctors and they aren't as patient. They seem to rush and not answer all my questions. Like if my insurance is paying you, you should be able to answer my questions. lol
    Seriously. They treat us like peasants rather than customers.
    Same here lol I'm so glad my doctor is a black woman and even a few of the nurses are black. It took me forever to find her but I feel so much better going to my doctor appointments now.
    I really want a Black doctor, it's so hard to find one.