The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Harassment At Work

lexodyssey

Senior Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
I luckily haven't, but my best friend is going through it right now. She works at Amazon and is trying to get out as soon as she finds another job. I think it's been everything from implied racial comments to just making her uncomfortable while she's working. I know she's been to HR but they don't seem to want to do anything. Have you ever dealt with any harassment at work? How did you deal with it?

Banks

Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I've had some bad experiences, but they've mostly because of crap bosses or co-workers who thought they were funny. For the most part, people have been pretty cool to me. I've had the racists co-workers and bosses though, and I've heard some offensive shit over the years.

HR has got to do more in these cases. If it's something that won't stop, they need to address it fast and sort it out. Amazon of all companies should be more serious about problems like this, but then again, it's also Amazon, so they don't always do right.

My best suggestion, is to keep bringing it to HR. At least then you'll have a trail of reports to show. How often has she gone to HR about the situation? If it's just once, they probably won't do much but give the person a warning and not to do it again. But, if they continue, bring it up to HR again. The more times this person is reported, they will have to take action on them eventually, maybe investigate if it's serious enough as well.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
At my first job, I had a manager who wanted to do some kind of swinging with me and my then boyfriend. No joke. He and his wife were into it. He asked and hinted at it without outright saying it. I thought it was funny at the time but thinking back it was all kinds of wrong. I was only 19 at the time and he and his wife were in their late 30's. I could have and probably should have pressed charges.