Prove Me Wrong

The place for serious debate on thought-provoking and controversial topics.

Stats

Category
Lifestyle
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Hater is used as tool to silence critical thinking and analysis in the Black community

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Before anyone ever tries to make the false connection, this is not about any YouTubers. Now…Hater is a term used to refer to an individual who expresses contempt for a person, place, or thing for no reason other than jealousy or envy. My assertion is that this term is often used as an ad hominem attack to change the conversation from one about the message to discussing the messenger. It is problematic because it silences the ability for the community to discuss anything of value or contrary to popular opinion.

Last edited:
    D

Deleted member 191

I don't disagree with you but, here is where I would make a small counterpoint.

Your original example: Detractor A makes the point on why black entertainer X is problematic for how black people in entertainment and by proxy, black people in general are viewed. Lemming A defends entertainer X and calls Detractor A a hater blah blah blah. Argument ensues, nothing is accomplished, conversation ends.

Situation where critiquing turns to hating: Soon after that, Detractor A is back again commenting on entertainer X. This time all entertainer X did was post a happy birthday message. Then it's just an old family photo. Next it's a behind the scenes photo from a tour with members of the crew. And Detractor A no matter what entertainer X does, is ALWAYS there to comment about SOMETHING. For me, at some point, that stops being an honest critique of entertainer X and it starts becoming hater-energy. Entertainer X wasn't engaging in degeneracy in every single action, Detractor A was just looking for something to complain, bitch and moan about. And it's at that point I think you can make an argument that a criticizer goes from being legit in their critique to being a hater.

H
    HailCzr85
    So although I don't think ALL criticisms are hating, I DO think those who are critiquing need to be observed to ensure they're doing it in good faith.
    H
    HailCzr85
    And another thing, I think we have a bad habit of giving undue credit to the folks calling someone a hater. What I mean by that is, we make an unwarranted assumption that, that person is even capable of critical thought in the first place. Some are and are merely pushing an agenda, don't get me wrong, I get that. However, MANY simply are not in that type of intellectually or emotionally mature space and I feel like it's a little unfair to them and their growth because It's like asking a newborn to go potty and then yelling at them for pooping in the diaper. They aren't at that level yet.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I don't disagree with you but, here is where I would make a small counterpoint.

Your original example: Detractor A makes the point on why black entertainer X is problematic for how black people in entertainment and by proxy, black people in general are viewed. Lemming A defends entertainer X and calls Detractor A a hater blah blah blah. Argument ensues, nothing is accomplished, conversation ends.

Situation where critiquing turns to hating: Soon after that, Detractor A is back again commenting on entertainer X. This time all entertainer X did was post a happy birthday message. Then it's just an old family photo. Next it's a behind the scenes photo from a tour with members of the crew. And Detractor A no matter what entertainer X does, is ALWAYS there to comment about SOMETHING. For me, at some point, that stops being an honest critique of entertainer X and it starts becoming hater-energy. Entertainer X wasn't engaging in degeneracy in every single action, Detractor A was just looking for something to complain, bitch and moan about. And it's at that point I think you can make an argument that a criticizer goes from being legit in their critique to being a hater.
    I think you bring up a solid point in mentioning the “Critic to Hater Pipeline” and it must definitely be explored. Buuut….I don’t believe it is something that wasn’t captured in my definition of hater. Because if we look at the totality of commentary:

• WAP is ghetto and raunchy.
    • Cardi B think she cute in that Rolls Royce.
    • Megan the Stallion so trashy with her long nails.
    • Cardi B dating a cheating ass nigga

It fits the definition of hater because even though there is merit to the first claim, its merely one part of a persistent attack on the said personalities. So the critic to hater evolution may seem as if it transpired between bullet 1 and 3 but it really was there from bullet 1…there simply wasnt enough data to analyze.

However, I think those bullet points are different than let’s say:

• I don’t believe Cardi B is setting the right example for young women in Bodak Yellow.
    • Megan the Stallion lacks accountability and is quick to blame others for her issues.
    • Cardi B is loyal to a cheater.
    I feel that these set of critiques can have merit and a motivation outside of envy and jealousy. So while they might not be haters, they can definitely be called obsessed. But their obsession does not detract from any of the points above.

Hell Johnson

Senior Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I think you bring up a solid point in mentioning the “Critic to Hater Pipeline” and it must definitely be explored. Buuut….I don’t believe it is something that wasn’t captured in my definition of hater. Because if we look at the totality of commentary:

• Cardi B think she cute in that Rolls Royce.
    • Megan the Stallion so trashy with her long nails.
    • Cardi B dating a cheating ass nigga

It fits the definition of hater because even though there is merit to the first claim, its merely one part of a persistent attack on the said personalities. So the critic to hater evolution may seem as if it transpired between bullet 1 and 3 but it really was there from bullet 1…there simply wasnt enough data to analyze.

However, I think those bullet points are different than let’s say:

• I don’t believe Cardi B is setting the right example for young women in Bodak Yellow.
    • Megan the Stallion lacks accountability and is quick to blame others for her issues.
    • Cardi B is loyal to a cheater.
    I feel that these set of critiques can have merit and a motivation outside of envy and jealousy. So while they might not be haters, they can definitely be called obsessed. But their obsession does not detract from any of the points above.
    It's used that way when an unintelligent person can't articulate their argument about a particular celebrity that the other person is flexing on. Or if it's something stupid they believe is fly & you're trying to game them up by telling them ____ is trash. There's plenty more examples of people using hater as a crutch for their ego. That's really what is boils down to,ego.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I always get called a hater when I point out how the filth and nonsense from artists today is being pushed on kids and teaching boys to be thoughtless clout chasing pigs and the girls to be raunchy hot-headed hoes. No one every wants to talk about it. They deflect and assume that I am jealous of these women. As you mentioned, the argument breaks out and nothing changes.

I think it is a damn shame that we are not able to call out this hoodrat culture being promoted and pushed on our children (by WHITE money may I add). People that do are considered "uncool", or "not hip", or "a hater".

People take it like a personal attack when I tell them Cardi B promotes trash and produces trash music. When HJ mentioned the ego thing above, he is spot on. People are so sensitive today that your criticism of something they enjoy is taking like a personal attack on them.

ArYkathaGOAT

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Before anyone ever tries to make the false connection, this is not about any YouTubers. Now…Hater is a term used to refer to an individual who expresses contempt for a person, place, or thing for no reason other than jealousy or envy. My assertion is that this term is often used as an ad hominem attack to change the conversation from one about the message to discussing the messenger. It is problematic because it silences the ability for the community to discuss anything of value or contrary to popular opinion.
    Hater.... The term is outdated now. ☕
    I remember when my "besties" decided they wanted to partake in the use of narcotics at the age of 17. Ever since I said nah I'm good
    I've been a "HATER"... 🤓🤣😭 ... So yeah I'll be that. Read a Book 📚 read book read a MFing BOOK 🤣 .... ... ...

zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Did you READ THE COMMENTS ON YT?

MR-D-ROB

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I agree with what you are saying completely.
    However I'm not going to pretend as if we don't have people within the community that aren't envious, jealous, and hate on you because you are doing better than they are.

I'm not like that. I focus on myself. If someone has something or is doing better then I talk to them and try to get information as to how they got there. I try to learn from them and ask what mistakes they made along the way getting to that point. By doing this not only am I learning to achieve that goal but I can cut out the mistakes and likely get there faster and more efficiently.

Heck I've had people on this site criticize me because I live in a predominately white/hispanic area. Why? Because they are likely envious.

What was I supposed to do? Get to a point of making 6 figures, keep my credit score good, and build and maintain a good career all to stay in the ghetto. All to keep my daughters in a dangerous area and around bad influences. Obviously not.

Instead of us hating on each other because of achievements we need to learn from one another so that we can grow. Iron sharpens iron.

That's just my take on it!

D

Deleted member 1946

I agree with what you are saying completely.
    However I'm not going to pretend as if we don't have people within the community that aren't envious, jealous, and hate on you because you are doing better than they are.

I'm not like that. I focus on myself. If someone has something or is doing better then I talk to them and try to get information as to how they got there. I try to learn from them and ask what mistakes they made along the way getting to that point. By doing this not only am I learning to achieve that goal but I can cut out the mistakes and likely get there faster and more efficiently.

Heck I've had people on this site criticize me because I live in a predominately white/hispanic area. Why? Because they are likely envious.

What was I supposed to do? Get to a point of making 6 figures, keep my credit score good, and build and maintain a good career all to stay in the ghetto. All to keep my daughters in a dangerous area and around bad influences. Obviously not.

Instead of us hating on each other because of achievements we need to learn from one another so that we can grow. Iron sharpens iron.

That's just my take on it!
    You made a great post. When a person gets a chance to get out of low income area, get out fast!!!!! Don't ball out of control. Just move to a safer area and start moving upwardly in society while putting things in place to safeguard your progress.

D

Deleted member 1946

I remember when my "besties" decided they wanted to partake in the use of narcotics at the age of 17. Ever since I said nah I'm good
    I've been a "HATER"... 🤓🤣😭 ... So yeah I'll be that. Read a Book 📚 read book read a MFing BOOK 🤣 .... ... ...
    I think it is outdated as well, but I hear folks constantly saying it.

D

Deleted member 1946

I understand your point. I feel like deep conversation are not had as much anymore since there are so many attacks on others. Ad hominem attacks for example. Or the most popular person or the most liked person automatically wins.

D

Deleted member 1946

Some of the folks hating on you have not read a good useful book lately.

D

Deleted member 1946

I always get called a hater when I point out how the filth and nonsense from artists today is being pushed on kids and teaching boys to be thoughtless clout chasing pigs and the girls to be raunchy hot-headed hoes. No one every wants to talk about it. They deflect and assume that I am jealous of these women. As you mentioned, the argument breaks out and nothing changes.

I think it is a damn shame that we are not able to call out this hoodrat culture being promoted and pushed on our children (by WHITE money may I add). People that do are considered "uncool", or "not hip", or "a hater".

People take it like a personal attack when I tell them Cardi B promotes trash and produces trash music. When HJ mentioned the ego thing above, he is spot on. People are so sensitive today that your criticism of something they enjoy is taking like a personal attack on them.
    A person's favorite social media folks are immune to criticism. The word "hater" or a synonym is used.