The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

How do you manage your finances and debts?

eclipsed

Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
I grew up watching my parents struggle with this. Now I see my siblings doing the same and it kind of prevented me from acquiring huge amounts of debt out of paranoia. Like I didn't want to be in the kind of position where I have to struggle and worry all the time. I learned some stuff over the years that helped. I use a physical planner I keep at my desk. I write down all my bills and make sure all my money is sorted out for each month. I also write down every transition I do on and offline, rounding up to the nearest $1 to ensure I never overdraw on my account. If I want to buy something I don't need, I wait 2 weeks. If I have forgotten it by the end of the 2 weeks, then I really didn't need it after all. I just do stuff like this.

How do you manage your finances and your debts?

Real One

Sixer
zBucks
I play things very safe. After my parents struggled with money their whole lives, and went into a lot of debt, I decided I was going to change that for me. So ever since, I've kind of pinched pennies. Not like extreme cheapskate style, but more just I tried to save as much money as I could. And I only spent money when I needed to.

I've seen my parents deal with their debt, and I couldn't go that route.

Nesut

zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
I have a spreadsheet I call the domestic cash flow tracker that has all my bills, my allowance, and has the net I should expect in savings at the end of the month. It works well but if you’re not disciplined it doesn’t matter.

I use something similar but instead of a spreadsheet I set it up in Mint by Intuit.