The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Income tax was only meant for the rich, so what happened?

eclipsed

Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
When the income tax was first proposed, it was meant to be for the top % of earners in the US. They were going to "tax the rich" and told everyone else not to worry. Only the super-wealthy would be giving 2 or 3% of their earnings. Then we had a war. Suddenly, they had to tax more to supply it. It was meant to go back but oh no, another war? They just kept pushing this until EVERYONE was being taxed. The government continued to spend and print money and people started to ask for their gold. Know what they did? They got rid of the whole paper money = gold tender which removed the cap completely off the government to print even more money. Since the '70s, we have seen the USD drop significantly in value and it is all thanks to the government spending money that is not matched by gold.

So what does this all mean? We are being screwed and the government is the one screwing us all. You see the effects of this big-time in lower and middle-class families. They have continued this narrative for so long that people think the best solution is to tax the rich more. How about not taxing people who need their money to survive? Maybe this would result in black communities being able to be turned around and care for themselves without the government getting involved and making things worse. If the focus is always at the top, everyone at the bottom is going to be ignored.

The problem has been the government for so many years, I think people just forgot.

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I’m not super knowledgeable on the history of Income Tax but as you alluded to the shift of the burden being on the rich to the working class was terrible. Some of the pivotal moments to me were:
    • The Gilded Age - Where Americans were basically rich or poor and workers had no rights.
    • The New Deal - Reparations for White working class people to stop them from revolting post Great DepressIon.
    • Neo-liberalism - Revocation of those Reparations for White working class people.
    At the time of The New Deal, taxes on the rich were > 80%, by time we got to the Neo-liberal era started by Gerald Ford, it got to 38% with Reagan. They basically gutted the treasury to make sure the rich hoarded as much cash as possible and then defunded multiple programs that helped the common man.

So the result is a husk of a country…unlimited money for war and the rich but no money for Universal Healthcare, infrastructure, reparations, etc.

ART
    ART
    Looks like we are back in The Gilded Ages and the forces that be are doing their best to freeze everything so it can permanently stay in place.

Finesse

Sixer
    zBucks
    Just look at the standard of living. The minimum wage is a key thing here. The standard of living wasn't going up as fast as say a CEOs profits. I saw something recently about how a CEOs pay goes up so fast, while their employees pays slowly go up over the years. This is where we are. CEOs making billions and workers making next to nothing in return.

And now, all these CEOs are getting away with not having to pay taxes. It's a joke. Just imagine if peoples pays actually went up at the same rate a CEOs did, we'd probably be rich. And hell, look at all the CEOs who make billions. They could literally do their own stimulus checks for the world and still come out on top as rich. The rich should be taxed fairly just like we are. The more money you make, the more you get taxed.

RedMoon

Sixer
    zBucks
    Just look at the standard of living. The minimum wage is a key thing here. The standard of living wasn't going up as fast as say a CEOs profits. I saw something recently about how a CEOs pay goes up so fast, while their employees pays slowly go up over the years. This is where we are. CEOs making billions and workers making next to nothing in return.

And now, all these CEOs are getting away with not having to pay taxes. It's a joke. Just imagine if peoples pays actually went up at the same rate a CEOs did, we'd probably be rich. And hell, look at all the CEOs who make billions. They could literally do their own stimulus checks for the world and still come out on top as rich. The rich should be taxed fairly just like we are. The more money you make, the more you get taxed.
    Agree 100%. Minimum wage doesn't go up but the CEOs profit off of the work being done AND they don't pay taxes. It's really all a joke. I remember when the small business grants were going out last year because of the shutdown and a few of the big companies tried to get in on it. The system isn't made for the little guy.

eclipsed

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Yeah, the inflation doesn't match either. Like the only way, this makes any logical sense is they are legit robbing the poor to feed the rich. Like if you look at a lot of the legislation passed from the '70s up until now, it is heavily rooted in fascism of all things. It is almost as if the damage done to the black family in America was just the first step to them basically ruining this country for everyone. Shady mf'ers.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    When people start saying “tax the rich” I just roll my eyes.

Y GIF

Invincible1914

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    1. Cause it ain’t happening.
    2. Cause it’s just another “campaign promise” that’s said to get votes.
    3. The same politicians saying it live for fundraisers, and who are the people giving them all of those millions of dollars… the same rich they they claim they are going to tax.

D

Deleted member 1946

When the income tax was first proposed, it was meant to be for the top % of earners in the US. They were going to "tax the rich" and told everyone else not to worry. Only the super-wealthy would be giving 2 or 3% of their earnings. Then we had a war. Suddenly, they had to tax more to supply it. It was meant to go back but oh no, another war? They just kept pushing this until EVERYONE was being taxed. The government continued to spend and print money and people started to ask for their gold. Know what they did? They got rid of the whole paper money = gold tender which removed the cap completely off the government to print even more money. Since the '70s, we have seen the USD drop significantly in value and it is all thanks to the government spending money that is not matched by gold.

So what does this all mean? We are being screwed and the government is the one screwing us all. You see the effects of this big-time in lower and middle-class families. They have continued this narrative for so long that people think the best solution is to tax the rich more. How about not taxing people who need their money to survive? Maybe this would result in black communities being able to be turned around and care for themselves without the government getting involved and making things worse. If the focus is always at the top, everyone at the bottom is going to be ignored.

The problem has been the government for so many years, I think people just forgot.
    I didn't know some of this information. Particularly the part at the very beginning. Thanks for sharing.

D

Deleted member 1946

1. Cause it ain’t happening.
    2. Cause it’s just another “campaign promise” that’s said to get votes.
    3. The same politicians saying it live for fundraisers, and who are the people giving them all of those millions of dollars… the same rich they they claim they are going to tax.
    They know most politiicans are liars. Even when there is a good one, they have some way to get them in line.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    The income tax was originally sold to the American people and supposedly intended solely to pay for a war. The first one was in the Civil War. The tax ended after the war was over. The second time was to pay or WW1 and this time they didn't end it.

So ,how did the government make money prior? Solely from tariffs and taxes on goods. Anything that left or came into the country had a tariff on it. Some states had a sales tax for certain things. There was also the fees from highways, tolls, etc.

But no income tax.

Lastly the Federal Reserve was set up to control the currency and economy in private hands. A few congresspeople have tried to audit the Federal Reserve and have been unsuccessful.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I think state taxes are fine. We see where that money goes. It funds getting roads fixed, paying firefighters, etc.

But when it comes to federal tax? I don't think anyone earning under $500,000 should be paying a penny of that! It should be 5% for every 500k you earn. It is not fair that this burden is being pushed on people who are struggling. And it makes it so people in even the lower upper class can't even buy homes in many states now. How the hell are they going to charge 44%, damn near half, when you aren't even a millionaire? This strangles out small businesses owners big time too.

THIS IS THEFT.

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    I think state taxes are fine. We see where that money goes. It funds getting roads fixed, paying firefighters, etc.

But when it comes to federal tax? I don't think anyone earning under $500,000 should be paying a penny of that! It should be 5% for every 500k you earn. It is not fair that this burden is being pushed on people who are struggling. And it makes it so people in even the lower upper class can't even buy homes in many states now. How the hell are they going to charge 44%, damn near half, when you aren't even a millionaire? This strangles out small businesses owners big time too.

THIS IS THEFT.
    Overseas accounts are key, NO TAXES!
    AmeriKKKa is nothing but a bunch of demonic thieves, from crooked ass congress on down!

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    If you live overseas you can make up to 120k without having to pay any taxes at all. But you must live overseas. If you live in America, all income, including overseas income is taxable per your state and federal rate. Sadly.
    My husband says, if you're a International Business Owner & have International Business Accounts, even if you live in the USA, you cannot be taxed.
    Most countries overseas don't have taxes.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Overseas accounts are key, NO TAXES!
    AmeriKKKa is nothing but a bunch of demonic thieves, from crooked ass congress on down!
    Things need to change. There is so much that needs to be fixed in this system. It is all designed to keep poor people poor and keep rich people getting more rich. I am sick of it. I look at what these people do with their offshore banking and it makes me sick. Bezos should be paying way more than he is. Most of them are paying 3%!! Meanwhile the average person making 120k is paying 38%, it is BULL.

ART

Royal Sixer
    Community Host
    Content Contributor
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I learned over the years that when these slick and lying ass politicians are talking to people about the middle class, the working class, and the rich with a passing mention of billionaires and corporations not paying their fair share, they are not really 3 different things. In politics, middle class, working class, and the rich are all actually referring to the same thing, which is us, the poor(er) folk.

That's the real tea and they've been running game on us the whole time.