Self-Sufficiency and Preppers

Are you ready for the day the system falls? Our group is here to help each other prep for a disaster scenario.

Stats

Category
Lifestyle
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Indoor Gardens

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    So after the mess I dealt with all summer, I didn't even bother trying to do a winter garden. I do have some potatoes outside but I am not paying much attention to them. Just gonna let them do their thing and see what comes of it.

Anyways, I wanna invest in some sort of indoor garden. I wanna see what I can grow and what sort of set up is needed for something like this. Does anyone here grow any of their food indoors? I would imagine anything that needs pollinators would need me to manually do it.

JerriBun

Master Sixer
    Super Moderator
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    If you have the space and equipment, you can grow anything indoors. Think of it as having a greenhouse inside your house. Yes, you will need to do hand pollination. With indoor gardens you also have the added pressure of creating and maintaining the proper temp/humidity/light, making sure you don't over water and making sure whatever soil you use doesn't have pests (namely fungus gnats, they are the absolute DEVIL).

John_Smauel

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    Latin America
    Indoor Gardening is pretty tricky and takes a lot of effort. I mean if you talk about the least amount of effort setup then i would recommend just getting some deep plastic containers for the plants to have room for root growth and they are easy to manage but tough to move around and blue and red lights are great as well. I have a aeroponic tower for low space and no soil growth of things like lettuce and coriander. Try the Aeroponic towers with some extra lighting.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    If you have the space and equipment, you can grow anything indoors. Think of it as having a greenhouse inside your house. Yes, you will need to do hand pollination. With indoor gardens you also have the added pressure of creating and maintaining the proper temp/humidity/light, making sure you don't over water and making sure whatever soil you use doesn't have pests (namely fungus gnats, they are the absolute DEVIL).
    I do have space for a decent size shelving system. I was reading people tend to recommend doing things that require no pollination like herbs, lettuce, spinach, and root vegetables. Those are probably the easiest overall. What I am wondering now though is... Do I need to do anything for wind? Will I need to have a few fans running on and off?

JerriBun

Master Sixer
    Super Moderator
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I do have space for a decent size shelving system. I was reading people tend to recommend doing things that require no pollination like herbs, lettuce, spinach, and root vegetables. Those are probably the easiest overall. What I am wondering now though is... Do I need to do anything for wind? Will I need to have a few fans running on and off?
    I used a fan for my tiny indoor garden a while back. It should help your seedlings develop strong/thick stems and is good for air circulation.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    I used a fan for my tiny indoor garden a while back. It should help your seedlings develop strong/thick stems and is good for air circulation.
    Ah so that is what it is for. I have seen some people use them on YouTube for indoor gardens but they never actually say why. That makes a lot of sense though!