Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
So I have never invested in anything major, but have always been curious about the inner workings of how stocks work, along with how to invest in them. Has anyone here invested in a stock? Maybe you bought shares in a company or something similar to that.

I wouldn't mind learning myself, because I am always looking for other ways of making money. But I imagine it's also not an easy thing to get into. Does it take a while to learn?

cjg

Senior Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
So I have never invested in anything major, but have always been curious about the inner workings of how stocks work, along with how to invest in them. Has anyone here invested in a stock? Maybe you bought shares in a company or something similar to that.

I wouldn't mind learning myself, because I am always looking for other ways of making money. But I imagine it's also not an easy thing to get into. Does it take a while to learn?
#Finance Don't get me started ! I'm not all about money, but frfr, it will take money to finance the revolution ... Lack of money causes strife, etc ...

It's all "buy low, sell high" , same with crypto, forex, online arbitrage ... Take any asset, is essentially the same (of course, you can sell high, buy low , ie selling short which is a more advanced topic)

A stock is ownership in a company (tell me if I'm getting too basic) ... A company may issue 1million shares, or pieces of ownership in the company ... For that piece of ownership, the owner of the share get s to vote in a shareholder election (where the company votes to change leadership, to increase prices, or whatever)

Now, as a shareowner, you get to share in the companies profits ... They usually disclose the profits at the shareholder meeting. Ie Tesla might say "we made 1 billion dollars this quarter, so we are going to pay the shareholder $5 per share, annually" ... So, for just holding ownership, you get to partake in that profit for as long as you hold the shares (you can even hold them, pass em down to your kids, mAke side money of off them - another semi advanced topic ...

What I just described is the just of stocks ... Here, by holding stocks, the company pays hippy free money, just for holding ownership. An investor like this is usually called a long term /dividend investor. The payouts are called dividends, and you usually get them every quarter (4 times a year. But the quote of $5, in this example is over the whole year, so every quarter, you get $1.25 a share)

Ok, so buying and selling. I usually tell ppl to open a Robinhood account. You can download the app. Put some money in it, maybe $100 or so. Robinhood tells your what stocks are green temporarily. Just buy those for a sec. I mean push a button (that's all that's involved in buying and selling assets really, just push a button)

I'll give an example in the next thread

Last edited:

cjg

Senior Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I would go in to Robinhood, and choose Daily Movers. Then choose something going up (green usually means it gaining, red means is falling) that is super cheap, under $ 10-30. Then practice clicking the button , Buy, then sell. You should be very comfortable doing this before moving on.

You can also go to sites like finviz.com .. It's a heatmap to show you what stocks are going up, and which ones are failing for a time. Remember, just bc something is up for the past hour, doesn't mean it will continue to go up. Alternatively, somebody told me about this site capitoltrades.com ... You can see the trades of congress ppl! My premise has been to follow the big fish, Congress persons, those that put a mil on a trade ... Most times, those ppl know something and have already done their research .. If they put a mil on a trade, that s a good sign that something is about to happen ...

So finviz.com and What’s Trading on Capitol Hill? | Capitol Trades ...

screenshot-robinhood.com-2022.12.14-22_07_18.png

cjg

Senior Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
Finally, this is gambling. I'm a short term trader. What I aim to do is take my money and run. You never know what will happen. Ex, what would you do if you turned $1k into 4k,... Stop or let it ride?

Do not let emotions rule!! You can make some serious cash, like its crazy (when I saw this, if changed my mindset. Ppl with W2s are getting robbed. We could all be playing the market and make 2x or more what you make. But you have to learn to tame your emotions)

Last edited:

cjg

Senior Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I was thinking of starting a group, but not sure. I love to share knowledge on this. I think we realize that we can write our own tickets with this :)

I can show you more. Check the thread here for more tips on how to read stocks (after you pick a stock, look at the chart to make an educated guess on whether or will continue its uptrend, or turn downwards. Just to add something else to the mix, you can make money when stocks go up, down, stay in a range, etc. With instruments called options - which is what I do . But, my problem, I haven't tamed my emotions well enough.)

It's crazy.

Anyway, don't want to give you information overload. This knowledge , it does me no good to keep it to myself, so I share with ppl that want to go that route.

Last edited:

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I think investing in stocks is good but only if your money is straight. It’s not the lotto and it won’t make you rich if you playing with small money. It’s also not savings so you will lose your pants in an instant in a downturn. If you don’t have a 6 month rainy day you shouldn‘t even be thinking about stocks.

cjg

Senior Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I think investing in stocks is good but only if your money is straight. It’s not the lotto and it won’t make you rich if you playing with small money. It’s also not savings so you will lose your pants in an instant in a downturn. If you don’t have a 6 month rainy day you shouldn‘t even be thinking about stocks.
    Yeah, very true Bro. But, if someone is in dire straits, they can get out of they know what they are doing. Financial advisors, they will also say that, and it's very true. But there is a flip side. For the 6 mo if takes to save, you can double that IF you have skills and time on your hands to babysit a trade.

The options are fast money. For every $1 the stock goes up, option buyers make $30+ dollars , depending. But easy come, easy go. These banks invest your money in insurance , forex, and Im sure there is some trading in derivatives (options) .. They making a bag on your money.

But I agree ... Most ppl should play it safe , unless they don't :)

All I'm saying is take what you throw away, and learn a skill with it

cjg

Senior Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Talk about having your money right, the rich and others don't keep their money in banks (so Ive heard). They put it in real estate, stock accounts, and insurance. Ppl buy universal life policies, then when they need a loan, they borrow at 4pct interest from the policy and pay themselves back

The bank is doing this, getting 8-10pct, and giving you less than 1 pct , on top of the other investments they are making ...

The move is to undercut bank and do it yourself ... Not to sound too preachy, but finance and investing is a passion of mine.

Last edited:

cjg

Senior Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

5-10+ yrs of experience, boiled down into 15 mins or less ✊🏿

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    Investing in stocks generally isn't seen as risky. Let me be a bit more specific. Buying quality stocks (Google, etc) and holding them long term is a very, very common. And generally not seen as 'risky'. Daytrading, penny stocks, yes, extremely risky. So, the term 'investing in stocks' is a very broad term.

Youtube and Google is your friend. There are infinite amounts of videos and articles out there that start with 'what is a stock' and you go from there.

I'd also highly recommend learning basic personal finance principles, a few books that are generally seen as classics:
    * Rich Dad, Poor Dad
    * The Richest Man In Babylon
    * Think and Grow Rich

Finally, to be successful in stocks, whatever investments is a lifestyle change to some extent. Money management, etc. You can add extra income by increasing the amount of money coming in (side hustles, etc) and/or decrease expenses (do you really need all those cable channels? Do you need that 60k car when a 30k car will do?).

Sounds like you need to start from square one on personal financial management dude. But the fact you are asking and trying to learn is a fantastic start. Follow it through.

cjg

Senior Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Investing in stocks generally isn't seen as risky. Let me be a bit more specific. Buying quality stocks (Google, etc) and holding them long term is a very, very common. And generally not seen as 'risky'. Daytrading, penny stocks, yes, extremely risky. So, the term 'investing in stocks' is a very broad term.

Youtube and Google is your friend. There are infinite amounts of videos and articles out there that start with 'what is a stock' and you go from there.

I'd also highly recommend learning basic personal finance principles, a few books that are generally seen as classics:
    * Rich Dad, Poor Dad
    * Think and Grow Rich

Finally, to be successful in stocks, whatever investments is a lifestyle change to some extent. Money management, etc. You can add extra income by increasing the amount of money coming in (side hustles, etc) and/or decrease expenses (do you really need all those cable channels? Do you need that 60k car when a 30k car will do?).

Sounds like you need to start from square one on personal financial management dude. But the fact you are asking and trying to learn is a fantastic start. Follow it through.
    I agree. My motto is 'earn while you learn' and/or get your life together (nobody's perfect, some days I be like I gotta get mine together) ..

All true facts

cjg

Senior Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

* Rich Dad, Poor Dad
    * Think and Grow Rich

Everything is a risk Bro. Job is 'risky' (granted, less risky than the market, but , you could be trading your safe risk for a turbulent/wealthy risk)

The market (or something else, one chooses to do , just do something) can be your side hustle :) ...

Some ppl say crypto is risky .. But all this knowledge in finance in general, we gotta learn it. We could get reparations tomorrow, but with the state of the "perceived" financial knowledge, we just going to give it right back.

I thinks that's why our wealth hasn't grown (ownership) over the years (We have spending power, but we spend it at all white businesses, so it's not power that helps us ... Is power to make them richer of f our backs. I'm glad we are changing the narrative now though) We didn't have access to capital 1 , and financial knowledge... Meanwhile, the others are teaching their family, talking about it in their circles, etc ... And we will slip behind bc of this, imo (the YT channels below are helping to change this)

If somebody is afraid of risk, buy a long term LEAP ,or buy stocks, then collect dividends (you haven't 'lost' until you sell, so never sell... Wait for the dividends, or investment to catch up to your expenditure)

I just think we have to get past our fear, or waiting until the right time, and get on with it ... Fr, peeps feeding us the safe stuff, while they out getting rich on our dime (401ks) ...

Again, knowledge is key ... Definitely do the YT (Earn Your Leisure, The Come Up Series, Black Girl Stocks, etc) ...

Penny stocks is like the wild wild west ... All can be tamed though, with knowledge... ✊🏿

Last edited:

DaBeast

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    To much shit going on for me to invest. I wish I had the knowledge to do invest in stocks, and invest in other such things as well. But I'm someone who's very cautious and if I try something, I need to learn it. And honestly, I don't know if I want to learn about stocks. Sure there's possible money there, but will I make any? I doubt it. I feel like it's one of those high risk investments you hope pays off. I don't much like that, so I'd rather find other means of making a living. But that's just me. I don't have the patience to learn it, so I probably won't bother with it.

cjg

Senior Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Personally, cryptos have been the number 1 investment I've ever had. I buy and hold so maybe that's why.
    Yeah, crypto is really the asset class for the people ... Most ppl don't know you could get a loan, collect dividends via staking, buy options on them in some cases .... All this, and nobody will check your credit or anything ...

Crypto is an asset class where most of the gatekeepers are removed (you still need a phone or computer though)

cjg

Senior Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    To much shit going on for me to invest. I wish I had the knowledge to do invest in stocks, and invest in other such things as well. But I'm someone who's very cautious and if I try something, I need to learn it. And honestly, I don't know if I want to learn about stocks. Sure there's possible money there, but will I make any? I doubt it. I feel like it's one of those high risk investments you hope pays off. I don't much like that, so I'd rather find other means of making a living. But that's just me. I don't have the patience to learn it, so I probably won't bother with it.
    I understand, or can be a lot. See my commentary above, and circle back to it if you can.

From my point of view, the market is one of the only places where your potential is truly unlimited. In the market, money matters, no one sees your race. You will win, if you use common sense rules, and do not get too greedy (the greed factor applies to all asset classes, not just stocks BTW) ...

It can be low risk, like shoot for $50 a day ... I'm not caping for the stock market ...

Whatever you choose, study and execute well, share with your family and friends, recycle some of it with black businesses (support and grow our ecosystem.. we were duped into supporting others financial ecosystem or macroeconomy, B4 growing our own) , donate, help less fortunate, set some aside for your future legacy, and repeat ..

Terrymist

Master Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    British
    I understand, or can be a lot. See my commentary above, and circle back to it if you can.

From my point of view, the market is one of the only places where your potential is truly unlimited. In the market, money matters, no one sees your race. You will win, if you use common sense rules, and do not get too greedy (the greed factor applies to all asset classes, not just stocks BTW) ...

It can be low risk, like shoot for $50 a day ... I'm not caping for the stock market ...

Whatever you choose, study and execute well, share with your family and friends, recycle some of it with black businesses (support and grow our ecosystem.. we were duped into supporting others financial ecosystem or macroeconomy, B4 growing our own) , donate, help less fortunate, set some aside for your future legacy, and repeat ..
    Investing in stocks and shares is something I'm interested in getting involved, but it seems confusing. Thanks for simplifying. Now have a clearer picture on what to look for.