The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Is Pan-Africanism an Achievable Goal or a Coping Mechanism?

Twiddle_My_Fiddle

Sixer
Tither
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I was watching a video from Phil the advise show, where he talks about a Somali chick who doesn't want to identify as Black, but instead with her Somali ethnicity. I couldn't help but get annoyed with him, wondering why he even cares. This sparked some old thoughts of mine about the issue: do blacks (particularly Black Americans) use Pan Africanism and any other collations to make up for what we feel is a lack of strength?

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I was watching a video from Phil the advise show, where he talks about a Somali chick who doesn't want to identify as Black, but instead with her Somali ethnicity. I couldn't help but get annoyed with him, wondering why he even cares. This sparked some old thoughts of mine about the issue: do blacks (particularly Black Americans) use Pan Africanism and any other collations to make up for what we feel is a lack of strength?
    I think it’s more of having an awareness that they don’t have and wanting to share it with them. It’s kind of like when someone becomes a new Christian…they won’t STFU about Jesus and try to push him on you. We see the world in a Black and White manner while that Somali chick sees shades of gray.

We feel compelled to show her that it’s really Black and White but what many of us don’t accept is that many will never see it as Black and White. Africa is not a conquered continent for no reason. There is no Black identity which disturbs Black Americans because we can see that their oppression is rooted in the Blackness they refuse to accept.

Roparker71

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    I wouldn't say is a lack of strength, but more or less a lack of identity. Most Black Americans are always looking for something to "latch on to" in order to have their own identity. Personally, I'm a proud Black American. The way I see it, we're doing something right because we're copied all over the world. Now, that's strength.

Twiddle_My_Fiddle

Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I think it’s more of having an awareness that they don’t have and wanting to share it with them. It’s kind of like when someone becomes a new Christian…they won’t STFU about Jesus and try to push him on you. We see the world in a Black and White manner while that Somali chick sees shades of gray.

We feel compelled to show her that it’s really Black and White but what many of us don’t accept is that many will never see it as Black and White. Africa is not a conquered continent for no reason. There is no Black identity which disturbs Black Americans because we can see that their oppression is rooted in the Blackness they refuse to accept.
    Yeah, I definitely can see that. I wish those still stuck on Pan Africanism and poc collations could just move on for the time being. In my eyes it makes us collectively look a little pathetic.

Nesut

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    I wouldn't say is a lack of strength, but more or less a lack of identity. Most Black Americans are always looking for something to "latch on to" in order to have their own identity. Personally, I'm a proud Black American. The way I see it, we're doing something right because we're copied all over the world. Now, that's strength.
    Great answer and highlights the codependent attitude previous generations had. We were never enough on our own we always needed some other people to validate how we felt and to co-sign our plight. We are seeing a whole generation of Black Americans who don’t care and it’s a beautiful thing to see.

Twiddle_My_Fiddle

Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    That's a fair take. I definitely see a lostness when it comes to those types of folks.

Roparker71

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Great answer and highlights the codependent attitude previous generations had. We were never enough on our own we always needed some other people to validate how we felt and to co-sign our plight. We are seeing a whole generation of Black Americans who don’t care and it’s a beautiful thing to see.
    Yes indeed...

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yeah, I definitely can see that. I wish those still stuck on Pan Africanism and poc collations could just move on for the time being. In my eyes it makes us collectively look a little pathetic.
    I would say that it would be true if pan-Africans weren’t getting clowned by Black Americans. No one can ever say that pan-Africanism is now the default view. At the CA Reparations Task Force meeting Pan-African cats was getting boo’d when they spoke.

Roparker71

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin

Real talk... overall, Pan-Africanism was a good idea, but it was always one-sided.

Boss Hog

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    We need pan Africanism but shit is on hiatus until everybody else figures it out. I meet some Africans and caribbeans that know what time it is so I can’t be making wide ass statements. But when I do see one of those off code ass immigrants I now understand what’s going on and don’t try to convert.

Tati 304

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I’m in Florida and a lot of people here cling to Pan-Africanist to justify sleeping with white women because they are “black like us”.

Give Me A Break Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

cjg

Senior Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    As a Pan-African, I don't cling to the ideal to make up for something, I cling to it as an expression.... My roots are from Africa , so are yours, etc (even if we were here already, I think your ancestors still migrated, they were just here longer, imo) ...

Doesn't mean that I'm not FBA, .. I feel for the misguided souls that colonialism has infected (myself not excluded) .. divide and conquer, Willie Lynch is still working overseas and at home ... It's all love, but in my mind, we black people all have some of the same problems, whether one recognized that or not ...

I realize some may not have the full story, though or willingly play into propaganda /duped into doing the wyt man's bidding ...

Black Americans (as opposed to Black Africans or Black Argentines, etc) are in a golden position in some respects ... A leadership position, if you will (not negating the fact that we still have a lot to work on, there are still some knuckleheads)... We had a civil rights .. and everything our ancestors went through, that's why we have the race pride we have now ... Some of these other countries, not the case ... In a way, our trials and challenges help us to see reality, if that makes sense ...

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    As a Pan-African, I don't cling to the ideal to make up for something, I cling to it as an expression.... My roots are from Africa , so are yours, etc (even if we were here already, I think your ancestors still migrated, they were just here longer, imo) ...

Doesn't mean that I'm not FBA, .. I feel for the misguided souls that colonialism has infected (myself not excluded) .. divide and conquer, Willie Lynch is still working overseas and at home ... It's all love, but in my mind, we black people all have some of the same problems, whether one recognized that or not ...

I realize some may not have the full story, though or willingly play into propaganda /duped into doing the wyt man's bidding ...

Black Americans (as opposed to Black Africans or Black Argentines, etc) are in a golden position in some respects ... A leadership position, if you will (not negating the fact that we still have a lot to work on, there are still some knuckleheads)... We had a civil rights .. and everything our ancestors went through, that's why we have the race pride we have now ... Some of these other countries, not the case ... In a way, our trials and challenges help us to see reality, if that makes sense ...
    The one drop rule was a blessing to us in a lot of ways and I don't think a lot of us realize that. If we were able to sleep with White people we'd be every bit as confused as the Caribbeans when it comes to race.

E

educatedman23

I stopped watching Phil when I realized he had a White wife. Totally insincere on his part.

Barida

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Native American
    Origin
    USA
    I agree with you. I feel enough being Black and it is the place that I draw my strength. Getting up every day a black man, gives me joy that I am here to contribute immensely to the development of the world. This is my identity!

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    Yes, for now its dead, but under certain circumstances it can be a reality. It depends on what FBAs do. There is a certain percentage of FBAs needed to come on board to agree no support for anyone else but FBAs and only work with non FBAs who are on code. It would also help if there was a Tariq or TBA version of a non FBA speaking out as well.

This will eventually affect all interactions: socially, culturally, economically, legally. People only respect strength. People respect consequences. Once its established, the non FBAs who are holding out will either have to get down or lay down.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    My guess is Pan Africanism, the way it was originally intended will only happen when Blacks outside America have no choice but to embrace it. They either gotta go through some sh*t that makes them have to link up with all Blacks, both their own rival tribes and others in the diaspora and especially with FBAs. Basically, when they have no choice due to whatever circumstances. Till then, nah, its not working and not going to...for the time being.

I think it will be revisited when reparations start to become a reality.