Self-Sufficiency and Preppers

Are you ready for the day the system falls? Our group is here to help each other prep for a disaster scenario.

Stats

Category
Lifestyle
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Items with long shelf lives?

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I want to get some food and goods stocked up in a pantry that I can rotate as need be. I want to work my way up to having at least 3 months worth of food and supply (including water) so I am prepare if something should hit the fan.

What are some good items that have long self lives, good for stocking a long-term pantry?

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
I want to get some food and goods stocked up in a pantry that I can rotate as need be. I want to work my way up to having at least 3 months worth of food and supply (including water) so I am prepare if something should hit the fan.

What are some good items that have long self lives, good for stocking a long-term pantry?
Bottled water, beans, toilet paper, candles, batteries, flashlight, pasta, canned foods, survival foods, matches, ammo, warm clothing, crackers, dried fruit, beef jerky, can opener.
I've a GO BAG & everything I need is in it, just grab & go. There's one in my car as well.
Water, clothing, ammo, knives, survival food, flashlight, batteries, matches, candles, gloves, beanie, rubbing alcohol, Vaseline

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Bottled water, beans, toilet paper, candles, batteries, flashlight, pasta, canned foods, survival foods, matches, ammo, warm clothing, crackers, dried fruit, beef jerky, can opener.
I've a GO BAG & everything I need is in it, just grab & go. There's one in my car as well.
Water, clothing, ammo, knives, survival food, flashlight, batteries, matches, candles, gloves, beanie, rubbing alcohol, Vaseline
Band-Aids.

ladytlw67

Sixer
Community Host
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
You may want to check out this video. I am trying to do the same thing. I have found a lot of info on YouTube and Pinterest. I plan to attend the Readyxpo, www.readyxpo.com, where they teach you about prepping, homesteading, and disaster preparadness in October. I want to be as prepared as I possibly can.

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
You may want to check out this video. I am trying to do the same thing. I have found a lot of info on YouTube and Pinterest. I plan to attend the Readyxpo, www.readyxpo.com, where they teach you about prepping, homesteading, and disaster preparadness in October. I want to be as prepared as I possibly can.

Learn how to grow your own food & hunt. Grocery stores will soon be a thing of the past.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I'm starting to learn how to grow but I still don't have any clue how to hunt. Where does one even begin with that? I am considering getting some chickens. My landlord told me I am allowed but not roosters and he said no more than 5 chickens. I am thinking I will start with 3. At the very least I will have a protein source with the eggs.

Terrymist

Master Sixer
Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    British

Lentils, chickpeas, corned beef, local honey, seeds (linseed, pumpkin, sesame, etc). I have a friend that uses Huel.

zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I'm starting to learn how to grow but I still don't have any clue how to hunt. Where does one even begin with that? I am considering getting some chickens. My landlord told me I am allowed but not roosters and he said no more than 5 chickens. I am thinking I will start with 3. At the very least I will have a protein source with the

ladytlw67

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    I looked into rice and I was shocked that if you keep it in the freezer, it can last up to 20 years. That is insane! I am going to get some bags of rice and some dry beans when I go shopping this weekend.
    Get Jasmine brown rice & wild rice. I'm continuously hearing reports that white rice has pieces of plastic in it.
    Various brands, could be all brands, but mainstream media isn't reporting that part.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Get Jasmine brown rice & wild rice. I'm continuously hearing reports that white rice has pieces of plastic in it.
    Various brands, could be all brands, but mainstream media isn't reporting that part.
    I heard about this years ago. They also don't check for arsenic. This can be an issue for all sorts of rice which is why I only buy and eat one brand. It is organic and they test for arsenic regularly. I think the reason rice commonly has this toxin in it is down rice being grown on old cotton fields so the soil has it in it.

ladytlw67

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    You just reminded me that I need more Mason jars, thanks! 😁✊🏽

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    I wanted to add that if you get any kind of dry goods like rice or beans, always remove them from the plastic bag and put them in a glass or food-grade plastic jar with a tight fitting lid. Toss a few food-grade silica packets in there too. That will keep for a long time that way, 20 years and beyond if you keep it stored in a good spot. Basements that are dry tend to be the best place.

This may have been addressed in that video above, not sure but I learned about this years ago. I am stocking up on rice.

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    I wanted to add that if you get any kind of dry goods like rice or beans, always remove them from the plastic bag and put them in a glass or food-grade plastic jar with a tight fitting lid. Toss a few food-grade silica packets in there too. That will keep for a long time that way, 20 years and beyond if you keep it stored in a good spot. Basements that are dry tend to be the best place.

This may have been addressed in that video above, not sure but I learned about this years ago. I am stocking up on rice.
    I've been saving those packets for a long time. 😁

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I don't guess that the Star button works. Now this was very informative because a lot of us don't live in Rural areas we live in Houses in cities and Apartments This could be very useful to those not living way out in your counties (farmland) etc. I'll pass this video on.