Self-Sufficiency and Preppers

Are you ready for the day the system falls? Our group is here to help each other prep for a disaster scenario.

Stats

Category
Lifestyle
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Making An Attempt!

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    So I made a thread a little while ago about an indoor garden. After the poor year I had outdoors, I want to have more control over things. Found out there are seeds for certain veg that are self-pollinators too. Going to start simple with some greens and go from there. Herbs and greens seem to be the easiest to manage indoors.

With my outdoor setup, those totes I was using I am going to just take the dirt to my parents' and plant straight in the ground in the spring, see if I have better luck over there.

When I am able to have a house and more space, I plan on having a small room in the house just as a garden room.

This lady seems to know her stuff in terms of growing indoors so I thought I would drop the vid as well for anyone else wanting to try.

YahudahQueen96

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    So I made a thread a little while ago about an indoor garden. After the poor year I had outdoors, I want to have more control over things. Found out there are seeds for certain veg that are self-pollinators too. Going to start simple with some greens and go from there. Herbs and greens seem to be the easiest to manage indoors.

With my outdoor setup, those totes I was using I am going to just take the dirt to my parents' and plant straight in the ground in the spring, see if I have better luck over there.

When I am able to have a house and more space, I plan on having a small room in the house just as a garden room.

This lady seems to know her stuff in terms of growing indoors so I thought I would drop the vid as well for anyone else wanting to try.
    Thank you for sharing. I would like to grow indoors. I know I can do it because I have attempted growing over a year ago from germinated seeds. Lemon is easy to grow. The seeds germinate easily like bell peppers. I will keep watching this for guidance.

The only issue I had in the past was maintaining my plants. I just have to keep a schedule for care. I also need to make more room. I was actually doing good. I have used cups (dental cups/8 oz drinking cups) and pots with drainage holes. I poked holes in the bottom of the cups, set them on saucers or plastic plates. I used the bottom watering method.

I also germinated some avocado pits and used one to grow from. I was able to grow some leaves. Unfortunately I had to get rid of the plant as it was leaning. I was not as prepared as I should’ve been. I may try again. I would only harvest leaves as the plant will take 15 years to harvest an avocado.

I might grow from lettuce too. I’ll have to see if sprouts sell the lettuce with the roots. Oh, and also green onions with the roots are simple to regrow. Just place them in water and watch them go. Just change the water when need be.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    Thank you for sharing. I would like to grow indoors. I know I can do it because I have attempted growing over a year ago from germinated seeds. Lemon is easy to grow. The seeds germinate easily like bell peppers. I will keep watching this for guidance.

The only issue I had in the past was maintaining my plants. I just have to keep a schedule for care. I also need to make more room. I was actually doing good. I have used cups (dental cups/8 oz drinking cups) and pots with drainage holes. I poked holes in the bottom of the cups, set them on saucers or plastic plates. I used the bottom watering method.

I also germinated some avocado pits and used one to grow from. I was able to grow some leaves. Unfortunately I had to get rid of the plant as it was leaning. I was not as prepared as I should’ve been. I may try again. I would only harvest leaves as the plant will take 15 years to harvest an avocado.

I might grow from lettuce too. I’ll have to see if sprouts sell the lettuce with the roots. Oh, and also green onions with the roots are simple to regrow. Just place them in water and watch them go. Just change the water when need be.
    Something my mom taught me about plants like avocado, you can't grow from seed. They have to be from cuttings otherwise they taste horrible because the seed you get is not from the same plant. Some fruit are not true to seed.

I just remember watching this vid awhile ago after she told me about it:

YahudahQueen96

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Something my mom taught me about plants like avocado, you can't grow from seed. They have to be from cuttings otherwise they taste horrible because the seed you get is not from the same plant. Some fruit are not true to seed.

Okay thanks for the information. My avocado plant grew small leaves which I didn’t need lol.

YahudahQueen96

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

Now I remember this is what Lead Farmer was talking about

JerriBun

Master Sixer
    Super Moderator
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    So I decided I might try some potatoes in buckets. Apparently this is something very easy to set up and they grow well indoors. Anyone grow those in buckets before? Wondering what size I should get.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    Thanks for sharing these. Going to check out her channel if she has any other vids.

I just found out you can even do corn indoors. Like you can do so much just using buckets and baskets it is crazy!

On a side note...

I am going to get one of these for my outdoor plans at my parents' house.

I won't have to worry about animals getting into stuff while I am not there.

D

Deleted member 1946

let us know how your journey goes

D

Deleted member 1946

I need to start growing stuff inside.

YahudahQueen96

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Are avocado plants edible, and if so, do they have any nutritional or medicinal benefits?
    According to the internet, avocado leaves are edible depending on the type. Some are toxic while others aren’t. The ones that are not toxic can be used in culinary . The avocados here are edible btw. Not sure about the medicinal benefits of the plants. The flesh of avocados are already nutritious
    being that it’s a healthy fat.

zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    According to the internet, avocado leaves are edible depending on the type. Some are toxic while others aren’t. The ones that are not toxic can be used in culinary . The avocados here are edible btw. Not sure about the medicinal benefits of the plants. The flesh of avocados are already nutritious
    being that it’s a healthy fat.
    Thanks for the info, I’ll he toxic/ non-toxic difference is good to know; I never knew that.