Community Host
Supporter
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
Jay z and the machine really have some ppl thinking he's the greatest.Nas has better albums and I love all of em except hip hop is dead.Jay z's 1st 3o4 weren't good or was barely good
Nas is better, to me. Depends on ppls tastes and hip hop preferences. For me, Jay-Z CDs became coasters back in the day, after about a month of listening. Nas CDs are still treasured for me because he is obviously so well read.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
Super Moderator
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
It depends on what you mean. Nas is the better lyricist, but Jay had way more club records.
Nas & Jay both influenced the way other emcees rapped, but Jay also had dudes buying button ups, wearing platinum, and drinking Cristal.
I listen to Illmatic way more than I listen to Jay's albums; but when Jay's albums dropped, they were all you heard outside.

SonOfTheSun

Sixer
Tither
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
It depends on what you mean. Nas is the better lyricist, but Jay had way more club records.

Nas & Jay both influenced the way other emcees rapped, but Jay also had dudes buying button ups, wearing platinum, and drinking Cristal.

I listen to Illmatic way more than I listen to Jay's albums; but when Jay's albums dropped, they were all you heard outside.

When it comes to pure quality of the music it's not about club hits or what's popular.the machine got behind jay z and not bc he was better

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
Super Moderator
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
SonOfTheSun
"When it comes to pure quality of the music it's not about club hits or what's popular"

Sure it is. DJing is one of the core components of Hip Hop, and your music had to be quality if LEGENDARY club DJs (Funk Flex, DJ Kool, S&S, Kid Capri, Big Kap, etc.) were playing it. Club records are in no way lesser quality than headphone records. Rakim, Melle Mel, Big Daddy Kane, Biggie, Big Pun, The Jungle Brothers, MC Lyte, KRS-ONE, etc. ALL had club records; and so did Jay-Z. All of their club records were high quality, too.
Saying that a song that was made for the Latin Quarter instead of the tape deck is of a lower quality is a silly statement, IMO.

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Nas is better, to me. Depends on ppls tastes and hip hop preferences. For me, Jay-Z CDs became coasters back in the day, after about a month of listening. Nas CDs are still treasured for me because he is obviously so well read.
    The only downside to Nas is he had about a 2-3 album span of trash beats. There was a lot of wack beats from It Was Written to Nastradamus but he rebounded after Stillmatic.

zBucks
    I'll have to go with Nas as well. I enjoyed his music more, and I felt his music was a bit more serious, and artistic. But not to knock Jay Z and his talent, the dude is one of the GOATS for a reason. And one of the best producers around. Same with Nas. They all have their special talents and have made an important impact on rap & hip hop. Without them, the genre wouldn't be the same.

SonOfTheSun

Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    SonOfTheSun

"When it comes to pure quality of the music it's not about club hits or what's popular"

Sure it is. DJing is one of the core components of Hip Hop, and your music had to be quality if LEGENDARY club DJs (Funk Flex, DJ Kool, S&S, Kid Capri, Big Kap, etc.) were playing it. Club records are in no way lesser quality than headphone records. Rakim, Melle Mel, Big Daddy Kane, Biggie, Big Pun, The Jungle Brothers, MC Lyte, KRS-ONE, etc. ALL had club records; and so did Jay-Z. All of their club records were high quality, too.

Saying that a song that was made for the Latin Quarter instead of the tape deck is of a lower quality is a silly statement, IMO.

Not saying

SonOfTheSun

Not saying jay doesn't have good music it just isn't up to par with nas.jay chose to make his music catchier

SonOfTheSun

Sure it is. DDidn't say

I'll have to go with Nas as well. I enjoyed his music more, and I felt his music was a bit more serious, and artistic. But not to knock Jay Z and his talent, the dude is one of the GOATS for a reason. And one of the best producers around. Same with Nas. They all have their special talents and have made an important impact on rap & hip hop. Without them, the genre wouldn't be the

Jing is one of the core components of Hip Hop, and your music had to be quality if LEGENDARY club DJs (Funk Flex, DJ Kool, S&S, Kid Capri, Big Kap, etc.) were playing it. Club records are in no way lesser quality than headphone records. Rakim, Melle Mel, Big Daddy Kane, Biggie, Big Pun, The Jungle Brothers, MC Lyte, KRS-ONE, etc. ALL had club records; and so did Jay-Z. All of their club records were high quality, too.

The only downside to Nas is he had about a 2-3 album span of trash beats. There was a lot of wack beats from It Was Written to Nastradamus but he rebounded after Stillmatic.

dont much care about the beat as long as the lyrics and flow of the song is on point

josiah starr

Master Sixer
    Community Host
    Supporter
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin

I totally agree regarding the beats. Yet, I love those two albums the most. They have stayed with me and will forever stay with me. The songs and lyrics are powerful.

Example: God Luv Us

IMG_20221119_185041_823.jpg

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    ShockedI totally agree regarding the beats. Yet, I love those two albums the most. They have stayed with me and will forever stay with me. The songs and lyrics are powerful.

Example: God Luv Us

View attachment 5878
    Say Word Lol GIF by Desus & Mero

Impressive. Also Nas raps so good in the wack beats. Rewind is one of the most creative raps

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yeah. Its like poetry over wack production. Some of his features with other artists are amazing as well.
    Yeah then he’ll get on something Rick Ross would rap on that sounds dope but he’d be off beat. I like what he has with hitboy.