The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

People Return To Offices, Productivity Plunges

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
Super Moderator
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA

Commentary

One of the most interesting things about the pandemic, at least from an employment perspective, is that productivity didn’t suffer as a result of remote work.

In many cases, employees became even more productive while working from home, either because they were happier or because they were making an extra effort to impress far-away bosses.

Now comes word from the Bureau of Labor Statistics that productivity plunged during the first half of 2022, down by the sharpest rate since the 1940s.

Economists are trying to come up with explanations for the decline, and to understand what this means for post-pandemic changes to the workplace, including hybrid schedules that allow more time out of the office.

My hunch is that many workers are letting their employers know that things are different now.

First, there’s the trend of “quiet quitting,” by which some employees throttle back on their work tempo to express a recalibration of their work-life balance. That is, they’re reprioritizing the importance of work in their lives.

More important, I suspect, productivity is falling because many people simply came away from the pandemic feeling that their employer wasn’t there for them in a meaningful fashion as Mr. Corona pushed us all around.

And now that many businesses are once again requiring a physical presence in the office, some employees are consciously or subconsciously expressing their dissatisfaction by taking their foot off the gas pedal, as it were.

People who previously went above and beyond at work are now giving little more than the expected output.

People who previously gave only the expected output are now just going through the motions.

Managers will say this is a problem with their workforce. I see it more as a management issue.

If managers can’t motivate their staffs with positive, satisfying workplaces, they’ll see productivity fall by the wayside.

Some managers are even responding to the changes by imposing productivity-tracking software on employees — programs that monitor how long you’re at your desk and how busy you are at the keyboard.

I may not know how precisely to create a positive, satisfying workplace. But I know that spying on employees isn’t a great start.

So, yeah, productivity is down as wary workers are returning to offices.

It’s not rocket science.

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I think people are starting to disconnect from meaningless work. Just imagine working for a company that makes bearings for skateboards and you’re in the business analytics department generating reports on revenue…MEANINGLESS.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I think people are starting to disconnect from meaningless work. Just imagine working for a company that makes bearings for skateboards and you’re in the business analytics department generating reports on revenue…MEANINGLESS.
    Exactly.

E

educatedman23

Couldn't a computer automatically generate reports on revenue? They have artificial intelligence for everything else it seems. I agree it is meaningless.

The Haze Of Our Lives

Royal Sixer
    Community Host
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Same with schools. Kids don't want to be at school learning meaningless crap and adults don't want to be at work, working meaningless jobs. If they want to fix this problem, give people a reason to want to learn, grown, and work.
    Jackpot Sis!!!

Here in Michissioppi whites want the schools open and blacks and other POC want remote schooling to continue. Total mess here.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    Jackpot Sis!!!

Here in Michissioppi whites want the schools open and blacks and other POC want remote schooling to continue. Total mess here.
    We need to just pluck our kids our of public schools. They are nothing but government funded boot camps to teach kids to be submissive or train them to be victims. Fuq that. If I had a kid right now, I would be homeschooling 100%!

The Haze Of Our Lives

Royal Sixer
    Community Host
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    We need to just pluck our kids our of public schools. They are nothing but government funded boot camps to teach kids to be submissive or train them to be victims. Fuq that. If I had a kid right now, I would be homeschooling 100%!
    Jackpot Sis!!! That school to prison pipeline is indeed real and ONLY geared for black kids to be targeted. he shit was is FULL swing in 1995, 5 years after I graduated. Yes Black ONLY home-schooling programs are slowly being created and that is a plus.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Couldn't a computer automatically generate reports on revenue? They have artificial intelligence for everything else it seems. I agree it is meaningless.
    Yes but what it cannot do is tell the story about the numbers. You need to explain what contributed to the gain, loss, or flattening of the numbers…that’s when it stops becoming math and becoming art.

Red Velvet

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    Jackpot Sis!!! That school to prison pipeline is indeed real and ONLY geared for black kids to be targeted. he shit was is FULL swing in 1995, 5 years after I graduated. Yes Black ONLY home-schooling programs are slowly being created and that is a plus.
    I was hearing about this. I think a lot of families are realizing that the public school system is nothing but a propaganda center. They f'd with our colleges and universities decades ago and in the '80s, they started targeting the schools.

Real One

Sixer
    zBucks
    I'm sure it will be that way to start, because people have gotten so used to working from home due to the pandemic, that going back to an office job sounds unbearable. At home you don't have to worry about dressing in a suit and tie. You can wear your pajamas if you want, and you'd still get your job done.

And I think it's partly the fact that people don't have to commute to work every day, sometimes driving for hours just to get to their job. So working from home probably made many people happy. In turn helping with our mental health as well.

But there are downsides to it. When I worked from home I procrastinated a lot more, I was taking longer breaks and so on. So there does need to be a bit of structure in a way when it comes to working from home, but I'd prefer that over going to some office job where I have to sit next to someone I can't stand to work with.