Movies and TV

Where TV and Film lovers go to talk about their favorite programming.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

The American Society Of Magical Negroes

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    So this movie is coming out.

And ya'll... I have some questions.

I understand they are making a mockery of the troupe in Hollywood where a black character sets the stage to guide a white character on their journey but most people ain't thinking about that. The main focus is going to be on the characters interactions and what is being shown in the movie, not what it is poking fun at.

That being said... who the hell thought it would be a great idea to make a movie about magical black people that WILL LOSE THEIR POWER if they are aren't constantly making white people happy!? Also wtf is up with the main dude falling for a white chick? Who is this movie for?

Am I missing something? Maybe something is going right over my head.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    I guess the premise of the movie just isn't on my radar. I am not a film buff and not someone that pays enough attention to the troupe. I knew it existed and I understood that is what the movie was about but certain parts of just seem downright silly.

Why can we get a serious movie for black folks that is like Harry Potter instead of a joke being made? Or actually kept this serious to say more than just being boiled down to a romcom? I don't know maybe I am just sour on all of Hollywood at this point. The only good I see is how upset whites are over it cause the concept just goes right over their heads.

JerriBun

Master Sixer
    Super Moderator
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I guess the premise of the movie just isn't on my radar. I am not a film buff and not someone that pays enough attention to the troupe. I knew it existed and I understood that is what the movie was about but certain parts of just seem downright silly.

Why can we get a serious movie for black folks that is like Harry Potter instead of a joke being made? Or actually kept this serious to say more than just being boiled down to a romcom? I don't know maybe I am just sour on all of Hollywood at this point. The only good I see is how upset whites are over it cause the concept just goes right over their heads.
    Yea, you have to understand the "Magical Negro" trope to get the full premise of the movie. I think quite a few people saw "magical" and instantly thought "Harry Potter."

Did we need a whole movie about the trope, though? Nah.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yea, you have to understand the "Magical Negro" trope to get the full premise of the movie. I think quite a few people saw "magical" and instantly thought "Harry Potter."

Did we need a whole movie about the trope, though? Nah.
    It seems like a waste. Like it is good to bring attention to but not like this. And it just all seems odd given the movie context of it being a romcom.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    It seems like a waste. Like it is good to bring attention to but not like this. And it just all seems odd given the movie context of it being a romcom.
    The romcom angle kind of sucks. If this was a takedown of the Magical Negro trope (think Bamboozled) that could've been cool. This looks like a movie about a bruh who just wants to PAWG.

cjg

Senior Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I was thinking about this, as it has recently been in discussions ... I hope a lot of ppl see it, actually ...

Someone told me Biden commented on the movie, has anyone heard this?

I'm not sure abt that, but what it seems to me is this:

*** white folks don't want us to see the movie ***

Think about it, a black dude "loses his powers" , gets ostracized and discouraged from dating a white girl ...

The movie makes them uncomfortable and points out another satirical reality in black/white interactions ... In my mind, bringing it further to the conscious level , and thereby discouraging future behavior (wishful thinking) ...

Most ppl would trip on the name, but in hindsight, I think the move was genius (would you have the same reaction without that name) ...

.. I wouldn't be surprised if there is more outrage and/or protest regarding movie from white ppl ...

To me, that means we should do the opposite - see the movie ...

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    I was thinking about this, as it has recently been in discussions ... I hope a lot of ppl see it, actually ...

Someone told me Biden commented on the movie, has anyone heard this?

I'm not sure abt that, but what it seems to me is this:

*** white folks don't want us to see the movie ***

Think about it, a black dude "loses his powers" , gets ostracized and discouraged from dating a white girl ...

The movie makes them uncomfortable and points out another satirical reality in black/white interactions ... In my mind, bringing it further to the conscious level , and thereby discouraging future behavior (wishful thinking) ...

Most ppl would trip on the name, but in hindsight, I think the move was genius (would you have the same reaction without that name) ...

.. I wouldn't be surprised if there is more outrage and/or protest regarding movie from white ppl ...

To me, that means we should do the opposite - see the movie ...
    Biden's family tree owned slaves directly, he comes from rich wealthy racists. Don't even pay no mind to what he says. He said so much racist crap that got gas-lit by the media it is insane.

I did ask a few white co-workers what they thought of it. One said he didn't even hear of the movie. The other, she said this is a free country and people can make movies about whatever they want she had no issue with anything about the movie. So there is that. I think the only people getting offended are either racist or don't actually understand what the movie is meant to be about.