Movies and TV

Where TV and Film lovers go to talk about their favorite programming.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

The Boys Season 3 Discussion Thread

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
Super Moderator
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
First Rollie, is that Cenk? Because that's hilarious.

Second, we can view the same thing and all have different interpretations. Doesn't make any of us right or wrong. Which I thought I made clear when I said I interpreted it one way and Jay interpreted it another.

Third, Rollie if my comment offended you, then I apologize as it wasn't my intention. My point was whether you did or didn't agree, that isn't going to alter how I interpreted Frenchie and Kimiko's interaction here. It does present a different perspective and I can appreciate that. But that being said, doesn't mean it's the only prevailing understanding of it either; regardless of who does or doesn't agree.
Yes, that's Cenk.
I wasn't offended, either. We're good, but thank you for the kind apology. That was a nice touch.
QoHLn.png

D

Deleted member 191

Yes, that's Cenk.
Well I declare. It's a gotdamn miracle...he found a way to be useful to black america after all lol

I wasn't offended, either. We're good, but thank you for the kind apology. That was a nice touch.
Respect

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    It feels like there should be one more episode. I hate it sometimes when shows cram a bunch of resolutions into one last episode.
    Duuuude yes! Or when a movie crams everything into the last 20 minutes. This season is going to end with a huge cliff hanger. There's too much going on to wrap up in a single episode.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Duuuude yes! Or when a movie crams everything into the last 20 minutes. This season is going to end with a huge cliff hanger. There's too much going on to wrap up in a single episode.
    Hopefully, we'll get a short overrun like we get with the Marvel shows. There's just too many loose ends to wrap up in an hour!

D

Deleted member 191

Great finish! Excited for Season 4. And I am so interested in how Ryan's character matures and grows. Long-term: Butcher promised Becca he would take care of him and he fucked up, so to me, that feels like that'll be his redeemable arc whenever they decide to wrap the show up. To save Ryan from being too far gone for the sake of his mother, he'll kill Homelander and essentially take down Vought. Short-term: I feel like they should time jump to Vicky already being VP and in the middle of her campaign to run for president. Where, surprise!! my boy Stan Edgar returns to pull new kinds of puppet strings within the government.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Great finish! Excited for Season 4. And I am so interested in how Ryan's character matures and grows. Long-term: Butcher promised Becca he would take care of him and he fucked up, so to me, that feels like that'll be his redeemable arc whenever they decide to wrap the show up. To save Ryan from being too far gone for the sake of his mother, he'll kill Homelander and essentially take down Vought. Short-term: I feel like they should time jump to Vicky already being VP and in the middle of her campaign to run for president. Where, surprise!! my boy Stan Edgar returns to pull new kinds of puppet strings within the government.
    Give him 6 months with Homelander, and Ryan will become the kid from Brightburn.
    View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t3VOnvKgVQM

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    This whole season was just a waste if you ask me. It's like when you play a game and you're enjoying it but in the end the character was dreaming. I'm looking at you BITCH ASS MARIO 2.

1. We start off with Homelander being an evil bitch that needs to die.
    2. The Boys summon an even eviler bitch to kill Homelander.
    3. Butcher stops the eviler bitch from killing Homelander to save a kid.
    4. Homelander is saved, the eviler bitch is put back into bondage, and the kid take Homeland's side.
    5. We end off with Homelander being an evil bitch that needs to die.

The only really narrative movement we saw in the whole season IMO is Ryan turning evil like his dad.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    This whole season was just a waste if you ask me. It's like when you play a game and you're enjoying it but in the end the character was dreaming. I'm looking at you BITCH ASS MARIO 2.

We start off with Homelander being an evil bitch that needs to die.

The Boys summon an even eviler bitch to kill Homelander.

Butcher stops the eviler bitch from killing Homelander to save a kid.

Homelander is saved, the eviler bitch is put back into bondage, and the kid take Homeland's side.

We end off with Homelander being an evil bitch that needs to die.
    So you're saying that there was story progression?
    g6Q1c6I.png

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Maeve a fuckin real one in the end
    Yes 100%. Now gets a return to normalcy too. Can write a book, get rich, and live a regular life. Just has to live in a dungeon now though.

So you're saying that there was story progression?
    View attachment 3381
    That's how I feel. Like there was little narrative progression...there was movement in like intangibles e.g. drug use, interpersonal issues, friend zoning but the next season is going to start off exactly where this one began. Everything seemed inconsequential to me. However

the temp v usage will definitely impact next season

But outside of that they can basically act like this season never happened and it wouldn't throw anyone off. This season was a Nascar loop as opposed to a road that took you from Point A to Point B.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Only ones who know about her are Ashley her assistant and The Boys. Ashley won't narc on Maeve. She'll use her as her ace in the hole one day. She's an opportunist at her core
    Very true. When Ashley had to take off her wig I was like holy hell. They are all in a messed up position because Homelander has very little patience for any of them. Her, A-Train, Deep, etc are all under the threat of immediate death.

D

Deleted member 191

Very true. When Ashley had to take off her wig I was like holy hell. They are all in a messed up position because Homelander has very little patience for any of them. Her, A-Train, Deep, etc are all under the threat of immediate death.
    And A-Train and his selfishness has finally isolated him entirely. Nate kicked him out of his house. When he got there, first thing he said when he went to visit was I got a new ticker so I can run again. I was like nigga, your brother is PARALYZED because of YOU. That's not some shit to say to someone who's adjusting to their new normal.So he's on the outs with Homelander, on the outs with his brother. and let's be frank, he can't do shit on his own. he's going to be fucked up next season

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yes 100%. Now gets a return to normalcy too. Can write a book, get rich, and live a regular life. Just has to live in a dungeon now though.

That's how I feel. Like there was little narrative progression...there was movement in like intangibles e.g. drug use, interpersonal issues, friend zoning but the next season is going to start off exactly where this one began. Everything seemed inconsequential to me. However

the temp v usage will definitely impact next season

But outside of that they can basically act like this season never happened and it wouldn't throw anyone off. This season was a Nascar loop as opposed to a road that took you from Point A to Point B.
    Quite a bit happened, though:
    • The Seven was disbanded
    • The country is divided by their allegiances to supes
    • Homelander publically executed a man, and his base became energized (something about shooting a man in Times Square comes to mind)
    • The only supes who were strong enough to stop Homelander (and Stan Edgar) have been neutralized
    • Homelander can groom Ryan to become his successor/Earth's future overlord
    • Neumann is an evil, super-powered rainmaker with a politician in her pocket
    • A-Train & Kimiko got their powers back
    • ...but Maeve lost hers
    There's more, but I'm just brainstorming, atm. This season was pretty eventful, IMO.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    That sounds like an allegory for working in corporate America.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    And A-Train and his selfishness has finally isolated him entirely. Nate kicked him out of his house. When he got there, first thing he said when he went to visit was I got a new ticker so I can run again. I was like nigga, your brother is PARALYZED because of YOU. That's not some shit to say to someone who's adjusting to their new normal.So he's on the outs with Homelander, on the outs with his brother. and let's be frank, he can't do shit on his own. he's going to be fucked up next season
    So true. He has put himself on an island and is screwed. I never thought about it but yeah the whole incident was because of A and then when A came to follow up he made it about himself. Since he is so fake he will have no way to build allies.
    Quite a bit happened, though:
    • The Seven was disbanded
    • The country is divided by their allegiances to supes
    • Homelander publically executed a man, and his base became energized (something about shooting a man in Times Square comes to mind)
    • The only supes who were strong enough to stop Homelander (and Stan Edgar) have been neutralized
    • Homelander can groom Ryan to become his successor/Earth's future overlord
    • Neumann is an evil, super-powered rainmaker with a politician in her pocket
    • A-Train & Kimiko got their powers back
    • ...but Maeve lost hers
    There's more, but I'm just brainstorming, atm. This season was pretty eventful, IMO.
    You have some good points I’m guessing I expected more to be done as far as the overall goal. You know how you have some episodes that connect two eventful episodes together? I feel like this was the season version of that. As far the main objective is concerned.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    So true. He has put himself on an island and is screwed. I never thought about it but yeah the whole incident was because of A and then when A came to follow up he made it about himself. Since he is so fake he will have no way to build allies.

You have some good points I’m guessing I expected more to be done as far as the overall goal. You know how you have some episodes that connect two eventful episodes together? I feel like this was the season version of that. As far the main objective is concerned.
    Did you watch something else bruh the whole shit has changed.

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Just finished watching Season 3. It was mid. There's nothing that has me excited for Season 4. I felt like they exchanged character development for overly extreme sex scenes.
    Even in the first episode, I'm like not only someone wrote this, but a whole board of people had to approve of it.. running inside of a penis and sneeze. really??
    Been so long since I've seen a good, refreshing series. I know the Boys follow the comics, which I'm not familiar with, but the concept is so dope, but I feel like it's just wasted on sex and bad writing. just my opinion.

RT Faulkner

Registered
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    My brother kept nagging me to watch this and I did. I will be honest, I couldn't get into it but I think I should try again cause the ratings are doing great and a lot of people I know watch it and love it. Was the first season just a lot slower to start with?
    You shouldn't feel pressure to like it just because others do. I didn't care for the comic books the series is adapted from. I watched sporadic episodes and just don't care for it. I know the comics are worse, but the violence and gore just seem to be for shock value. Also, I hate how the character of Mother's Milk seems to be the target of all the sexual, gross-out jokes. I've interviewed one of the writers of the show for my podcast who is a very nice and talented guy - he's also Black, but I just can't get into this show.

RT Faulkner

Registered
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    There's nothing that has me excited for Season 4. I felt like they exchanged character development for overly extreme sex scenes.
    You are not alone! All the extreme violence and gore turns me off, too. It seems to be only for shock value. What's ironic is I interviewed one of the writers of the show - who is also Black - during its 2nd season because he has his own sci-fi project coming centering a deaf Black boy and an alien. He is a very nice, grounded, and supportive guy, but I just don't care for The Boys.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    You are not alone! All the extreme violence and gore turns me off, too. It seems to be only for shock value. What's ironic is I interviewed one of the writers of the show - who is also Black - during its 2nd season because he has his own sci-fi project coming centering a deaf Black boy and an alien. He is a very nice, grounded, and supportive guy, but I just don't care for The Boys.
    It was entertaining that should be good enough.

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    It was entertaining that should be good enough.
    watching a tiny man run through a penis, gay scenes galore, dude f*cking an octopus, herogasm... there was too many of those moments this season I didn't find "entertaining". I was grossed out.

Nesut

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    watching a tiny man run through a penis, gay scenes galore, dude f*cking an octopus, herogasm... there was too many of those moments this season I didn't find "entertaining". I was grossed out.
    You’re the contrarIan it’s in your DNA. It was no more gross than any other season.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    I love this series. When I recommend it to women I know they are immediately turned off its a 'super hero series' and I try to tell them its more than that, most don't give it a chance the few that do, like it. Men like super hero stuff anyway.
    The show's not to subtle references to social media impact, relationships, corporate power and political influence separates it from being just another super hero show.

On a side note, the Homelander character who isn't American by the way (New Zealand) and does a great American accent obviously, was in another series many years back called 'Banshee'. Check it out. The first 2 or 3 seasons is great in my humble opinion. A slept on show.

Anyway, I'm a fan.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    The final close up on Ryan's face though.
    The look of a boy who realizes his father is a fuckin crazy.

View: https://youtu.be/27OoVF98F2Y
    He has me confused. I don’t know if he is going to go his dad’s route or if he is going to rebel against him. He is a wildcard. I think he may go bad before he goes good though.

D

Deleted member 191

He has me confused. I don’t know if he is going to go his dad’s route or if he is going to rebel against him. He is a wildcard. I think he may go bad before he goes good though.
    I think I feel intrigued by his character arc. It's like Hero or Villain will he/won't he. Since most of his behavior to this point has been predicated on the fact that Billy went nuclear on him. So he went to Homelander, not so much because he wanted to, but because that's who made him feel loved and wanted in the moment, yknow, he's a little kid he doesn't really know any better.

I agree on him having some sort or full circle redemption arc-esque narrative where it'll take something critical, like Butcher dying or nearly dying, to bring him back.

Definitely interested in how they flesh his story out though.

ProMoatBlack

Sixer First Class+
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I haven't read this whole thread ti save myself from spoilers but Shout out to everyone who contributed. This thread put me on. Now the wifey and I are binging it nightly. I love shows that explore how crazy them folks can really be. Yall helped me get more out of my prime 😆