The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

The housing system is broken how do we fix it?

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I feel it would have been better if there were direct payments to landlords in addition to the eviction moratorium so that the landlords weren’t stuck footing the bill for the government‘s efforts to avert a homeless crisis. They half assed the bailout…they helped the high earners, gave some crumbs to the people, and if you were somewhere between median income and rich you got hosed.

Lamont

Sixer
    zBucks
    In the short-term I concur with @Jay in that direct cash infusion to property owners to cover unpaid rents should take place immediately. The red tape and bureaucracy shall be minimal to ensure that the aid gets to those in need immediately.

Long-term, it appears that a social change is in order as shelter should be a right of any productive member of society, no questions asked. This would require the public sector to be involved in the planning and development of communities that are built with the goal of “the betterment of the people” as opposed to “shareholder value”.

The US’ lust for monetizing every function In the country is leading to a society of 1990‘s automakers; stay with me now. Every function of society has the motive of:
    1. Providing as minimal as possible
    2. For as cheap as possible
    3. Selling It for as much as possible to maximize profit
    This philosophy was no better exhibited than by the Big US Automakers who were so drive by #1 and 2 that they would create one car and sell it under 3-4 different nameplates in the same market! We see how that ended up and every other function that wished to emulate this methodology may see a similar result.

Now number 3 is taking every penny in the pockets, couch cushions, car center consoles, and etc of every day working class Americans. That profit motivation in housing makes building affordable housing a dumb decision, why generate 2x profit when I can make 10x?

Invincible1914

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    It’s crazy how rent is just as much as a mortgage, and a mortgage is basically a lifetime of debt. My salary isn’t all that, but I reading through that lottery thread… My very first thought was I would pay off this stupid mortgage. I literally spend more money on the mortgage than food, gas, clothes, everything combined.

It’s a huge albatross, but what can you do. Wife wanted that “dream” and there was no stopping it. You’re mostly paying to stay in the neighborhood though.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    It’s crazy how rent is just as much as a mortgage, and a mortgage is basically a lifetime of debt. My salary isn’t all that, but I reading through that lottery thread… My very first thought was I would pay off this stupid mortgage. I literally spend more money on the mortgage than food, gas, clothes, everything combined.

It’s a huge albatross, but what can you do. Wife wanted that “dream” and there was no stopping it. You’re mostly paying to stay in the neighborhood though.
    thats why a home being the american dream is the gift and a curse. back in the days i guess it was cool cuz home values was so low but now u just signing up for slavery

Nesut

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin

Do you feel house poor?

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Nope. I feel like my income to mortgage ratio is way off for such a middle income home. It’s crazy. I was going over some bills the other day and zero-ing out some credit cards and it hit me how screwed I would be if I lost my job. My soul would be like snoopdisappointment

Damn bruh, I know the feeling…good thing we’re in healthcare.

Red Velvet

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Nope. I feel like my income to mortgage ratio is way off for such a middle income home. It’s crazy. I was going over some bills the other day and zero-ing out some credit cards and it hit me how screwed I would be if I lost my job. My soul would be like snoopdisappointment

This very thought helped me to start saving 3 years ago. I was literally living check to check and I had the realization that if I lost my job I’d be in a tent with 30 days. My folks are getting up there in age and slowly transitioning one by one, I’m now the person the younger generations are looking at as a crutch. I have a nice savings cushion now but still have More work to do.

fastandcurious

Registered
    zBucks

I’m in the same boat. The mortgage payments are killer with no end in sight. I’ve tried to save here and there for the “just in case” but that plan doesn’t always work out when money gets tight lol

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I’m in the same boat. The mortgage payments are killer with no end in sight. I’ve tried to save here and there for the “just in case” but that plan doesn’t always work out when money gets tight lol

I always tell people that when they think about buying a property. I say just imagine owing someone $530,000 dollars and the only way you can get out of it is bankruptcy...does that sound appetizing? People bring too much emotion into buying a property and sign up for some shit loans and they end up living to pay for the house and not much more than that.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I always tell people that when they think about buying a property. I say just imagine owing someone $530,000 dollars and the only way you can get out of it is bankruptcy...does that sound appetizing? People bring too much emotion into buying a property and sign up for some shit loans and they end up living to pay for the house and not much more than that.
    rkellyfear that hits a lot different when you put it like that. mortgage kinda masks what it really is.

Invincible1914

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Yeah, I feel like I'm gonna be paying this for the rest of my life. We just refinanced last year cause why not. Might as well get the payments lower.

eclipsed

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    What gets me about how things are right now is that in order to live in a nice area and be able to afford a decent house, you'd have to be earning a good 50k a year, not have any major debts, any kids and in some cases, you might still be scraping by because of health insurance costs, property taxes, utilities, etc.

Housing is so overpriced and renting them isn't cheap either. The average house in my area goes for rent for like $1300 a month, not including utilities. I planned on renting a house but I am just going to buy because I would end up paying around the same amount to own my own place instead throwing money out the window.

Red Velvet

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    What gets me about how things are right now is that in order to live in a nice area and be able to afford a decent house, you'd have to be earning a good 50k a year, not have any major debts, any kids and in some cases, you might still be scraping by because of health insurance costs, property taxes, utilities, etc.

Housing is so overpriced and renting them isn't cheap either. The average house in my area goes for rent for like $1300 a month, not including utilities. I planned on renting a house but I am just going to buy because I would end up paying around the same amount to own my own place instead throwing money out the window.
    This is in non-metro areas too. In some cities in NY, CA, and FL you need to be over 100k to realistically afford to live in a nice area and have any quality of life.

snoopdisappointment

eclipsed

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    This is in non-metro areas too. In some cities in NY, CA, and FL you need to be over 100k to realistically afford to live in a nice area and have any quality of life.

snoopdisappointment
    Oh yeah, like anywhere near a major city and you need to be earning double. It makes me think back to a joke my friend used to make about that Friends show. I never watched it but he loved it and always said "How the hell do a group of friends who seemingly do nothing for a living earn enough to afford where they live!?". I think they lived in NYC and the apartments they had would have easily been over 3k a month back then.

Bruh Man

Senior Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Oh yeah, like anywhere near a major city and you need to be earning double. It makes me think back to a joke my friend used to make about that Friends show. I never watched it but he loved it and always said "How the hell do a group of friends who seemingly do nothing for a living earn enough to afford where they live!?". I think they lived in NYC and the apartments they had would have easily been over 3k a month back then.
    Trust funds. usher laugh

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    A 2 bedroom house next to me sold for $600k.

A 2 bedroom apt in a not so good part of town can go for upwards of $1700.

A 2 bedroom apt in a good part of town can go anywhere from $3000 - $9000.

We on the road to RICH AND PAYCHECK TO PAYCHECK out here in CA.

Invincible1914

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks

denzeldisbeliefIf I was to get fired or even have a baby, I'm would be screwed. Gotta stay healthy too.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    In my area, rent seems to be just the same as a mortgage. I think educating people on credit building and allowing them to see they can afford a house in the same area if they can afford rent is a good step in the right direction.

When you have to pay $1200 plus utilities for rent but have good credit, in most cases you can be paying $900 (or less) plus utilities to be owning your own house!

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    We are very individualistic these days. I knew a white boy who I worked with once. Bought a 2 bedroom, 2 bath townhouse he couldn't really afford. He rented out the other bedroom. Since he could pick who he wanted, he minimized his not getting along with the person. He also made it month to month, 60 days notice so if the relationship went left, he could legally kick the person out. And lastly he priced it about 100 dollars under the market so it stayed rented out. It was a good deal. Almost all his tenants were long term and when they left, he took people his friends or relatives referred. We don't do that. Also, we may have to start getting homes together. Friends, family members, etc. share living spaces. Minimize the amount. Agree beforehand on everything. I've seen fraternity brothers buy a 4 or 6 unit building and rent out some of the units or stay in and pay themselves in others. Or what ever groups. I notice you don't see Asians and other groups too conflicted over housing. They have a strong community that works together.

E

educatedman23

We are very individualistic these days. I knew a white boy who I worked with once. Bought a 2 bedroom, 2 bath townhouse he couldn't really afford. He rented out the other bedroom. Since he could pick who he wanted, he minimized his not getting along with the person. He also made it month to month, 60 days notice so if the relationship went left, he could legally kick the person out. And lastly he priced it about 100 dollars under the market so it stayed rented out. It was a good deal. Almost all his tenants were long term and when they left, he took people his friends or relatives referred. We don't do that. Also, we may have to start getting homes together. Friends, family members, etc. share living spaces. Minimize the amount. Agree beforehand on everything. I've seen fraternity brothers buy a 4 or 6 unit building and rent out some of the units or stay in and pay themselves in others. Or what ever groups. I notice you don't see Asians and other groups too conflicted over housing. They have a strong community that works together.
    Our people usually want their own space so they can have independence despite the fact a lot cannot really afford to keep paying.