The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Thinking About Swithcing To Gas

Boss Hog

Master Sixer
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I enjoy using charcoal, but I really think I'm gonna have to go with a gas smoker for my turker legs. Had an electric smoker and those work better for stuffed turkey legs where the meat 🍖 is softer. Any thoughts?

View attachment 8324
Go with what makes it easier to use the smoker. I went gas and shit not having to worry about bad charcoal/having to run to the store for another batch and all that is goooooone. When I want something smoked or grilled I just hit the backyard, turn the knob, and it’s on and crackin

josiah starr

Master Sixer
Community Host
Supporter
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
I’ve been tempted to replace my current grill with a Trager but my only concern is the meats come out looking like they we’re roasted. It’s weird
Yeah. I agree and experienced the same problem. Traeger is perfect for certain meats and not as good as a charcoal grill with others. I try to moderate Temps on certain meats and/or combo with stove to cook them. Red meats and fish tend to be a match made in heaven for Traeger. Chicken and pork require temp control. It takes trail and error but once you figure it out, it's a game changer.

Nesut

zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
Yeah. I agree and experienced the same problem. Traeger is perfect for certain meats and not as good as a charcoal grill with others. I try to moderate Temps on certain meats and/or combo with stove to cook them. Red meats and fish tend to be a match made in heaven for Traeger. Chicken and pork require temp control. It takes trail and error but once you figure it out, it's a game changer.
Interesting. Can you replicate a grilled taste and texture with it? Ive never seen meat off a Trager that was charred on the outside and medium on the inside.

josiah starr

Master Sixer
Community Host
Supporter
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
Interesting. Can you replicate a grilled taste and texture with it? Ive never seen meat off a Trager that was charred on the outside and medium on the inside.
Yes. You can char a little. You have to put the temps up all out tho. That said, nothing beats charcoal for that charred taste. I've learned that once you start exceeding certain temperatures ranges, the Traeger start to perform more like an oven, rather then a smoker. At the end of the day, the traeger is a smoker and performs much better as such, but you can use it as a poor man's oven and a weak as water grill.

For steaks, I like to smoke them, then turn up the temp to all out for give it some what of a char, then toss them into a real oven. It's different from the real BBQ pit taste, but the smokey medium done taste is really good. The steak is juicy and delicious but I have to be careful not to over cook and dry them out. Pork chops are really hard to cook on Traeger. They tend to dry out quick under the smoke.