The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Thrifting, anyone do it?

Finesse

Sixer
zBucks
I like to collect stuff, especially stuff that brings up the nostalgia for me. I like to go looking for old action figures I had from the 90s, video games, collectibles and more. Does anyone here go out thrifting? As in going to thrift shops, garage sales, yard sales, etc.

I like going because you never know what you're going to find. Sometimes there's nothing but garbage, but there are times where I find some hidden amongst the trash.

What kind of stuff do you like to search for while thrifting? For me, it's mostly video games, albums (CDs, vinyl), movies, old toys, etc. Basically anything from the 90s or 80s. I just like to collect junk I guess.

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
I like to collect stuff, especially stuff that brings up the nostalgia for me. I like to go looking for old action figures I had from the 90s, video games, collectibles and more. Does anyone here go out thrifting? As in going to thrift shops, garage sales, yard sales, etc.

I like going because you never know what you're going to find. Sometimes there's nothing but garbage, but there are times where I find some hidden amongst the trash.

What kind of stuff do you like to search for while thrifting? For me, it's mostly video games, albums (CDs, vinyl), movies, old toys, etc. Basically anything from the 90s or 80s. I just like to collect junk I guess.
I found an 39 piece antique 24 karat gold trim china set, also 4 crystal 24 karat gold trim goblets at a place called Fodac. Love that place, Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc.
Why pay an arm & a leg, when you don't have to? Plus, they don't make anything like they used to!
Also got this dresser, that we turned into a entertainment center. CD's & DVD'S are inside.

Attachments

20230106_150818.mp4
20.8 MB · Views: 0

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
I found an 39 piece antique 24 karat gold trim china set, also 4 crystal 24 karat gold trim goblets at a place called Fodac. Love that place, Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc.
Why pay an arm & a leg, when you don't have to? Plus, they don't make anything like they used to!
Also got this dresser, that we turned into a entertainment center. CD's & DVD'S are inside.
Also got two lamps (one for the living room, one for our bedroom) & end tables.

16730363797532311898272228131698.jpg

zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
When I go furniture shopping I’ll definitely be hitting up thrift stores and estate sales for quality pieces. I don’t want to keep replacing the same cheaply made items every 5 years.

I also shop eBay and have gotten good shoes and boots that way. Since I’m losing weight it doesn’t make sense to keep buying new clothes; a good quality thrift store or eBay and Etsy are so much better alternatives.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
Caribbean
I grew up next to an antique store. I also had a mom who would take me and younger brothers to garage and yard sales when we were little on Saturday mornings, basically babysitting us so my older siblings had a break.

Anyway, I learned about it then. And its been a bonding thing with me and my younger brother. He made a side hustle out of it actually. We go to thrift stores in white areas because they have the best stuff. We go to thrift stores of charities. We have found some great stuff from thrift stores for breast cancer, and others. What we learned is that they have a charity dinner and a clothes donation. These are very rich white folks who donate the expensive, luxury brand clothes they got for birthdays, whatever and never really liked.

I got a pair of Cole Haan loafers once for $20, barely worn and retailed at the time for $120. It lasted years. As a kid my mom and my aunts only went to yard sales in rich zip codes. We ended up with some antique things in our house that was worth a decent amount of money. I collected coins as a little kid (Yeah, I was a nerd...ain't it obvious) and we ended up at a yard sale for a guy who was the son of an Ambassador when he was young. The dude was old, had to be in his 80s or whatever, but I got coins from Germany in the 30s that had the Nazi insignia on it as well as other countries. He spent his childhood traveling internationally. I still have those coins.

MR-D-ROB

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    The thrift stores here are actually pretty good.
    You find a lot of name brand stuff. Everything from clothing, furniture, and electronics.

I bought a really nice computer bag a while back. Retails for around $100 and I got it for $10.

It's not a primary shopping spot but I definitely do like to stop by there every so often just to see if I can find a good deal.