The Streets

Leave your "boujeeness" at the door. Celeb gossip and other debauchery goes down here.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Unaware Media Racist?

The Honorable

Royal Sixer
Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

MR-D-ROB

Sixer First Class
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    So this is a person that says and does racist stuff without being aware. They may not necessarily be racist but they will slightly follow certain racist ideals. To them they don't think anything is wrong with it. They have likely went their entire life doing this and no on has pointed it out.
    It usually comes out by them agreeing with a racist media narrative. Hence the media part.

An example that happened to me recently.

Another nurse I work with that is Hispanic made a comment about Brittany Griner. She was saying that she didn't think they should have traded her for Viktor Bout aka "The Merchant of Death". She sat and made a whole argument about how bad Viktor Bout was. I could tell she wasn't too informed and everything she was saying came straight from Facebook and the mainstream media (probably Fox News)

So I asked her had she seen the movie about him. She looks at me strangely and asked what movie. I explained that Nicolas Cage has made the movie Lord of War which was loosely based on him. She was completely unaware

I explained to her how an entire movie was out about this guy and she wasn't even aware. But now that a black woman that was wrongly imprisoned was being traded for him she is suddenly aware and feels like he is the worst person ever when she didn't even know anything about him prior.

She tried to explain how her intent wasn't meant to be racist or anything.

I calmy told her that intent doesn't matter and that her argument is the exact same one that racist everywhere online were making.

Thing about me is I'm as outspoken in person and in everyday life as I am on here. No one is ever going to say something slick and racist and not have me call it out.

Terrymist

Master Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    British
    So this is a person that says and does racist stuff without being aware.
    So would that mean that this person is inherently racist? If a person is not aware of the racist stuff they do, it would mean it is their state of being? Being conscious of their racism or their racism is unconscious. How much of a difference would it make?

MR-D-ROB
    MR-D-ROB
    The outcome doesn't make a difference.
    If the person changes once they know makes a difference.

Honestly I never look at the person the same. Reason is because you can't be 100% sure if they were aware or not.

Then the question is was the change because they really care or just because they know you're going to call them out.

So they may be good around you but still say racist stuff when they aren't around you.

MR-D-ROB

Sixer First Class
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Sometimes I can tell the difference. Sometimes not so much. With this chick I think she has a bias against black men.
    She was married to a black guy and it went south and ended in divorce.

I think that's where the bias may come from.

I had a supervisor once that was a full blown racist. Fox News watching, Bill O'Reilly quoting, bigoted racist.

He acted all cool around black people but to all of us it was pretty obvious.

I can't recall exactly what it was he said but he said something off cuff and slick one day (I can't recall what it was but it was something about one of the black students- I was a Training Instructor for a medical course back then). When I called him out on it he tried to pull the supervisor card. I made it perfectly clear that I didn't give a f*k that he was supervisor and they he wasn't going to say stuff like that. So the next morning he comes in and tells me he's writing me up for insubordination.

I told him he should probably go check his desk. He looked all confused. He went to his desk to find my letter of resignation.

I went to his supervisor and explained exactly why I was resigning and the other employees who witnessed his remarks corroborated my statement.

They demoted him and I left after two weeks.

What he was counting on was that no black person was going to risk losing a federal job. He didn't count on someone so true to their morals and values that they wouldn't let that stand in the way.