Movies and TV

Where TV and Film lovers go to talk about their favorite programming.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

We need to see something new in movies, TV series, comics, etc.

eclipsed

Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
I am so sick of seeing Hollywood "blackwash" characters who were formally white just to make things "less white" or more minority friendly. They do this with men too, making them into women. There are so many powerful black figures throughout history that can be made into movies or TV shows. Same with comics... Why can't new characters be made? I know a lot of people who love the Black Panther and the story behind him. I feel like they are so empty with original ideas, they are just doing stuff for the sake of making money off social politics. It is kind of insulting to take an established character and just paint him black as if it makes things okay or something. Then you look at BET original movies like that Karen movie they did recently. WTF even was that? I don't know a single person who watched that crap. It was like a Get Out ripoff or something. I know other people notice this stuff too but they won't dare say anything about it cause they will get targeted, harassed, or banned from social platforms.

zBucks
Yeah, it can be weird. I want to see characters based on black figures and stars. I want to see new characters instead of already established ones getting a change. We don't need to see a black Bruce Wayne for example. But a black Batman would be awesome! Just make him his own unique character. Hell, I'd be down for a Batman Beyond remake with a black Batman. Anything is possible.

I don't get why they change some established characters though. There's talk of a black Superman, but it's going to be a unique story based on someone else from Krypton and not the Clark Kent version of Supes. So it doesn't have to evoke Clark Kent's Superman, but anyone can hold the name of a Superman for example. I look at it like Miles Morales' Spider-Man. Because he's "a" Spider-Man. We can have more people take the mantle of these characters. But they should be their own unique characters different from the already established one. That's my view on it anyway. I'm glad more movies and shows are coming out for us, that feature us, and tell our stories, and let those stories also be played out in these fictional worlds.

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I am so sick of seeing Hollywood "blackwash" characters who were formally white just to make things "less white" or more minority friendly. They do this with men too, making them into women. There are so many powerful black figures throughout history that can be made into movies or TV shows. Same with comics... Why can't new characters be made? I know a lot of people who love the Black Panther and the story behind him. I feel like they are so empty with original ideas, they are just doing stuff for the sake of making money off social politics. It is kind of insulting to take an established character and just paint him black as if it makes things okay or something. Then you look at BET original movies like that Karen movie they did recently. WTF even was that? I don't know a single person who watched that crap. It was like a Get Out ripoff or something. I know other people notice this stuff too but they won't dare say anything about it cause they will get targeted, harassed, or banned from social platforms.

Yeah, it can be weird. I want to see characters based on black figures and stars. I want to see new characters instead of already established ones getting a change. We don't need to see a black Bruce Wayne for example. But a black Batman would be awesome! Just make him his own unique character. Hell, I'd be down for a Batman Beyond remake with a black Batman. Anything is possible.

I don't get why they change some established characters though. There's talk of a black Superman, but it's going to be a unique story based on someone else from Krypton and not the Clark Kent version of Supes. So it doesn't have to evoke Clark Kent's Superman, but anyone can hold the name of a Superman for example. I look at it like Miles Morales' Spider-Man. Because he's "a" Spider-Man. We can have more people take the mantle of these characters. But they should be their own unique characters different from the already established one. That's my view on it anyway. I'm glad more movies and shows are coming out for us, that feature us, and tell our stories, and let those stories also be played out in these fictional worlds.
    I concur with both of these and it comes down to the fact that Black Americans don’t have their own infrastructure to create their own narratives. If we deconstruct the conversation we’re basically asking: “why don’t these white corporations do a better job at telling Black narratives” but the real question should be “why are white corporations the only entities that have the capital and distribution mechanism to create content and get it to masses?” This is why reparations is important because it’ll give Black Americans the capital to build our own institutions.

eclipsed

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    I concur with both of these and it comes down to the fact that Black Americans don’t have their own infrastructure to create their own narratives. If we deconstruct the conversation we’re basically asking: “why don’t these white corporations do a better job at telling Black narratives” but the real question should be “why are white corporations the only entities that have the capital and distribution mechanism to create content and get it to masses?” This is why reparations is important because it’ll give Black Americans the capital to build our own institutions.
    The is true. Like, imagine if you took an actor like Denzel and had a powerful, intelligent, experience black team behind him writing a movie. It would not only be well received with the black community but I could bet you everyone else would enjoy it too. I am sick of seeing the thug narrative in movies too. Why can't we get movies about successful black businessmen, family men, etc. ??

Nesut

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    The is true. Like, imagine if you took an actor like Denzel and had a powerful, intelligent, experience black team behind him writing a movie. It would not only be well received with the black community but I could bet you everyone else would enjoy it too. I am sick of seeing the thug narrative in movies too. Why can't we get movies about successful black businessmen, family men, etc. ??

We had them in the early 90’s. Good examples:

1. Boomerang
    2. Coming to America
    3. Love Jones
    4. Harlem Nights

..but movie studios stopped funding them in favor of the more negative portrayals.

eclipsed

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    We had them in the early 90’s. Good examples:

1. Boomerang
    2. Coming to America
    3. Love Jones
    4. Harlem Nights

..but movie studios stopped funding them in favor of the more negative portrayals.
    Man, I loved and still love Coming to America. It is on my top 10 list for favorite movies. Man, wtf happened to Hollywood. I mean they even had some other good movies that had black leads that weren't centered around thug life like Bad Boys. I know actors have a choice in the roles they take so maybe bigger names shouldn't have been so willing to take roles that painting black folks in a bad light but at the same time I can't blame them if the money is good. We all have to earn.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Man, I loved and still love Coming to America. It is on my top 10 list for favorite movies. Man, wtf happened to Hollywood. I mean they even had some other good movies that had black leads that weren't centered around thug life like Bad Boys. I know actors have a choice in the roles they take so maybe bigger names shouldn't have been so willing to take roles that painting black folks in a bad light but at the same time I can't blame them if the money is good. We all have to earn.

It’s the power brokers shifting the investment into the movies they want in the market. It’s no surprise that most “urban” media is ultra negative and raunchy…it’s by design. I wish we had more of those straight laced movies too…I’m tired of the raunchy stuff…I’m turning into an old man.

eclipsed

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    It’s the power brokers shifting the investment into the movies they want in the market. It’s no surprise that most “urban” media is ultra negative and raunchy…it’s by design. I wish we had more of those straight laced movies too…I’m tired of the raunchy stuff…I’m turning into an old man.
    Do you think this is why music videos are the way they are too? Like they used to be about art and sending a message now they mostly have drug use and nudity. Like butts clapping left and right. Why do you need that? I guess it is the direction a lot of these labels shifted and the artists just went along with it for the pay.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Do you think this is why music videos are the way they are too? Like they used to be about art and sending a message now they mostly have drug use and nudity. Like butts clapping left and right. Why do you need that? I guess it is the direction a lot of these labels shifted and the artists just went along with it for the pay.
    The dumber Americans are, the better. You notice how they don't even try to reinforce critical thinking in our society? Look at the news..it's all dogmatism and editorial...they don't give you facts and let you decide, they just tell you what to think. Also look at our TV...if you watch a British version of Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares, there's music...they're not trying to influence how you think of a situation with music...they want you to watch and then come to your own determination. In the American version, there's nonstop music to influence how you interpret a situation...if they want you to be shocked at something...they'll play some orchestra stabs to make the situation ultra intense even though in real life it was nothing even close to that. Everything is abut telling you what to think in the USA and not how to think. Low level, low brow, degeneracy is what the culture is turning into.

eclipsed

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    The dumber Americans are, the better. You notice how they don't even try to reinforce critical thinking in our society? Look at the news..it's all dogmatism and editorial...they don't give you facts and let you decide, they just tell you what to think. Also look at our TV...if you watch a British version of Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares, there's music...they're not trying to influence how you think of a situation with music...they want you to watch and then come to your own determination. In the American version, there's nonstop music to influence how you interpret a situation...if they want you to be shocked at something...they'll play some orchestra stabs to make the situation ultra intense even though in real life it was nothing even close to that. Everything is abut telling you what to think in the USA and not how to think. Low level, low brow, degeneracy is what the culture is turning into.
    Well said. I remember when I was in school, I felt like it was pointless and as I got older, I realized they are still using the same teaching methods they did prior to WORLD WAR II!! Like are you kidding me? This kind of education is designed to make mindless workers. And yeah, critical thinking is not only frowned upon in US school systems but everywhere else too. Unless you manage to work for a company (or own one yourself) where critical thought and outward thinking are preferred and even rewarded, fat chance you will experience anywhere where it is acceptable. It is insane.