Movies and TV

Where TV and Film lovers go to talk about their favorite programming.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

What happened to all the parody films?

Finesse

Sixer
zBucks
Have parody films fallen off in recent years? I can't say I remember a parody film in recent memory, well aside from the Weird Al movie that recently dropped, which I should add was pretty dumb, but was actually quite funny. Anyway, this topic is not about Weird Al. I want to know why we don't get as many parody movies these days, when the 90s and early 2000s felt like they were all over the place.

I think the big reason we see less of them, is because of those string of movies that came out in the early 2000s, like Date Movie, Superhero Movie, Meet the Spartans, and a few others I'm probably intentionally forgetting because of how bad they were. But parody films started to get worse and worse, so maybe that's why they kinda died out for a while.

I don't mind parody films, it's just that most of them don't tend to age too well either.

What do you think. Do you think parody films are still alive? Or is it a dying genre of movie that you wish stays dead?

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    They got stale I think. People just got bored with them. That and the shift with comedy and people being too damn sensitive kind of pushed this type of movie out window. It is too much of a risk now. You can't make a comedy like this without a thousand angry colored-hair white women crying about it online. Unfortunately, this is who the media listens to.

DaBeast

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I think they're starting to come back slowly. Back when they were popular I did feel like we got way too many of them in a short period of time. I really think the big reason we don't see them much these days, is because they put out so many over the years that people got tired of them and people kinda forgot.

I mean, there are still parody films out there. It's slowed down is all.

But, I think we'll get to a point where they'll make a comeback and then we'll get to many and be back where we're at now.

ART

Royal Sixer
    Community Host
    Content Contributor
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    What do you think. Do you think parody films are still alive? Or is it a dying genre of movie that you wish stays dead?
    Comedy in general is pretty much a dying genre period. I want to say that it has been dying since maybe 2014. Comedy is too safe and watered down now and much of the humor is based on Internet humor and whatever the new Twitter, Tiktok, IG and Tumblr audience consider to be funny. It's to a point where most of the "comedy" (which is often generic and cringe) is mixed in with action/superhero movies like The Avengers franchise or anything by Marvel/Disney.

The best you can hope for is another regular comedy action flick starring Kevin Hart with some homoerotic jokes, serious movies with comedic elements such as Get Out, light-hearted comedy movies such as Uncle Drew, some comedy film like that faux feminists like (like Booksmart and Ghostbusters 2016 reboot, neither of which I have seen), or something like Game Night or The Nice Guys (both of which I still haven't seen and have no interest in seeing). The romcom genre has been dead for quite awhile and no, recent movies such as the box-office failure and homosexual Bros (that I also won't be seeing) are not bringing it back from the dead either.

Many of the comedic actors and actresses have also peaked years ago and have switched to drama and more serious work (Jonah Hill and Will Ferrell for example). It doesn't help at all that too many of the non-Black comedians, comedic actors, and comedy producers are not just sexual degenerates (such as Louis CK and the Farrelly Brothers), but are also racist themselves IRL (such as Judd Apatow who makes it his personal mission to openly vilify Black people in public including Black celebrities, Lena Dunham who molested her own sister and wags her finger at Black men while being a "hipster" racist herself, Russell Brand who went MAGA, the racist that played Kramer, Ricky Gervais who is a casual white racist, Kal Penn who proudly supported stop and frisk, and many more).

Comedy films (such as White Chicks, Superbad, Tropic Thunder, Harold & Kumar franchise, The Hangover franchise, 40 Year-Old-Virgin, American Pie franchise, Dude Where's My Car, Scary Movie franchise, and many more) would be considered homophobic, transphobic, racist, "reverse racist", and misogynistic.

MADtv couldn't be aired today and SNL is the "safest" and least offensive among the 2 which is why it's so advertiser freiendly. In Living Color would never be greenlit in this current era. If All That was rebooted again today, it would not be funny and would be very corny and cringe (just like the show Incredible Crew).

Current TV comedy is meh and most of the current (or recently ended) popular TV comedy shows are shows that have already been around and established before 2014 (It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, South Park, Family Guy, Shameless, etc). And many of the current Black sitcoms and comedy shows are bland and forgettable and some of them are even being produced by Tyler Perry. Children comedy shows have been dead since iCarly / Victorious ended (both of which were produced by that pedo degenerate Dan Schneider).

Stand-up comedy also seems to be on life support. Outside of Dave Chappelle, Bill Burr, Katt Williams, a few others and even safe acts like Gabriel Iglesias, what is stand-up comedy offering nowadays?

Most people are too busy laughing their asses off at Tiktok videos, Internet memes, Internet commentary, Karen videos, and whatever else to bother checking out these new comedy movies.

Terrymist

Master Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    British
    Have parody films fallen off in recent years? I can't say I remember a parody film in recent memory, well aside from the Weird Al movie that recently dropped, which I should add was pretty dumb, but was actually quite funny. Anyway, this topic is not about Weird Al. I want to know why we don't get as many parody movies these days, when the 90s and early 2000s felt like they were all over the place.

I think the big reason we see less of them, is because of those string of movies that came out in the early 2000s, like Date Movie, Superhero Movie, Meet the Spartans, and a few others I'm probably intentionally forgetting because of how bad they were. But parody films started to get worse and worse, so maybe that's why they kinda died out for a while.

I don't mind parody films, it's just that most of them don't tend to age too well either.

They may have dropped off. I did like Don't Be a Menace and the early films in the Scary Movie franchise. I cant think of any more recent ones.