The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

What Martial Arts should Black Men pick up?

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I have some boxing experience, what martial arts should I practice to protect my family and self defense? Do adults practice karate/ tae kwon do? Have you noticed a lot of SWS in the BJJ space?
    If I only had to pick one it would be Boxing with Muay Thai being a close second. The reason I would pick Boxing is because you learn how to use your entire body to deliver power through your fists. It’s the quickest way to deliver devastating power. Muay Thai is powerful too but the stance is different because you have to deliver and block kicks which diminishes some of the punching power you can provide.

If I had to pick two I would pick Boxing and BJJ. That way you will be good with striking but also have tools if someone is trying to take you down.

Blackgravity

On Y0 Six
    Community Host
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Boxing should be #1 and like Jay said, Muay Thai #2 for me I'd suggest MMA style training because realistically the base martial arts isn't practical in real-world fighting. Most fights end up on the ground, knowing how to wrestle and grapple is key to surviving when it gets to the ground.
    Knowing how to Box though can greatly increase your chances of the fight staying upright. scroll through some fight videos on youtube, you'll see almost every fight ends up on the ground.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Boxing should be #1 and like Jay said, Muay Thai #2 for me I'd suggest MMA style training because realistically the base martial arts isn't practical in real-world fighting. Most fights end up on the ground, knowing how to wrestle and grapple is key to surviving when it gets to the ground.
    Knowing how to Box though can greatly increase your chances of the fight staying upright. scroll through some fight videos on youtube, you'll see almost every fight ends up on the ground.
    Well a lot of the time if they are going against a boxer it ends up on the ground…for the non-boxer.

usher laugh

Sovereign

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    1. Boxing
    2. Wrestling
    I've been interested in taking either judo or krav maga.
    I agree with these two. Wrestlers will hem that ass up. I remember in high school I punched a 12th grader in the eye and he suplexed me. I never felt so vulnerable. That nigga had my life in his hands.

Devin

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    If I'm to pick a martial arts of my choice, it's most likely going to be Tai Chi because from all that I have gathered in Chinese history, it's the most effective martial art that can be used to beat anyone in a way that it looks easy. But it's not an easy thing to learn even though it requires simple tactics. It takes years to master them.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    If I'm to pick a martial arts of my choice, it's most likely going to be Tai Chi because from all that I have gathered in Chinese history, it's the most effective martial art that can be used to beat anyone in a way that it looks easy. But it's not an easy thing to learn even though it requires simple tactics. It takes years to master them.
    You gon’ get your ass beat
    Martin Lawrence Lol GIF by Martin

Devin

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    You gon’ get your ass beat
    Martin Lawrence Lol GIF by Martin
    Lol... It's something that have happened on more than one occasion and I dread it when it comes to getting physical with anyone. I'm not a violent person, it's my most of the time, I try as much as possible to mind my own business but the problem is that most people don't know how to mind their own businesses too.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Lol... It's something that have happened on more than one occasion and I dread it when it comes to getting physical with anyone. I'm not a violent person, it's my most of the time, I try as much as possible to mind my own business but the problem is that most people don't know how to mind their own businesses too.
    In that case, I would suggest that you learn the ancient arts of Gun-Fu and Run-Fu.
    fgRP9W6_d.png

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    this:
    In that case, I would suggest that you learn the ancient arts of Gun-Fu and Run-Fu.
    View attachment 2700

Nesut

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Tai Chi is standup Yoga bro. Don’t take that out to the streets.

Terrymist

Master Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    British
    I have some boxing experience, what martial arts should I practice to protect my family and self defense? Do adults practice karate/ tae kwon do? Have you noticed a lot of SWS in the BJJ space?
    I did practice TaeKwonDo when I was younger. It is very good for closing down spaces and improving spatial awareness.