The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Who else in here plays Capoeira? Let's get the roda started!

cjg

Senior Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I played a long time ago, and I used to practice a couple of years ago ... It's strange how I got into it ...

I was walking in a mall in Sao Paulo when I see a barbershop called 'Niggas' ... The owner realizes my reaction and he runs outside to explain .. he's like 'no problem in Brasil" (of course, there are problems in Brasil) ... So then I come back and chop it up with them .. I end up meeting this brotha who plays capoeira (I trained with his school for a good week for free) , meets his family, etc ...

We remain friends to this day ...

But yeah, I realize our actions as Blacks in Am affect a lot of ppl ... Even bad elements of our culture permeate ...

I don't play much now bc life gets in the way, but it's an excellent form of exercise, and super fun to watch ... I remember getting whacked by a little kid na roda when I went back (almost 5+ years ago) ..

If you get a chance, listen to the music of capoeira... Kinda relaxing, and you will want to go out and buy a berimbau :)

cjg

Senior Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
Capoeira is life! People will think it's a dance until you kick them in the face.

I've heard the term :) I guess there is some truth ..

One can see the parallels btwn cultures ... in Brasil, you can see how Black culture (Capoeira, football/soccer, samba) is revered - ... But at the same time, their police are even more grimy than US ... I saw an interesting dichotomy ...

Side note, when I was there the first time, there was a rich guy who was starting an all black tv channel ... They are behind in terms of social advances (all of Latin Am is that way to an extent, .. Black Americans are in leadership position bc all of our advances were fought for already) .. Anyway, stuff like that, affirmative action, that was big for them ...

Sadly, I don't think it made any gains ...

BrAz3n$0ul

Sixer
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I've heard the term :) I guess there is some truth ..

One can see the parallels btwn cultures ... in Brasil, you can see how Black culture (Capoeira, football/soccer, samba) is revered - ... But at the same time, their police are even more grimy than US ... I saw an interesting dichotomy ...

Side note, when I was there the first time, there was a rich guy who was starting an all black tv channel ... They are behind in terms of social advances (all of Latin Am is that way to an extent, .. Black Americans are in leadership position bc all of our advances were fought for already) .. Anyway, stuff like that, affirmative action, that was big for them ...

Sadly, I don't think it made any gains ...
Oh I feel you. My own mestrae is a white brazilian and he told me that it's an odity here to see black people doing well. He said, with a straight face, black guys don't drive corvettes in Brazil. I got offended but fuck it. I need the knowledge and one day I'll knock his ass out in the roda. It's all love Mes. LOL

BrAz3n$0ul

Sixer
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I played a long time ago, and I used to practice a couple of years ago ... It's strange how I got into it ...

I was walking in a mall in Sao Paulo when I see a barbershop called 'Niggas' ... The owner realizes my reaction and he runs outside to explain .. he's like 'no problem in Brasil" (of course, there are problems in Brasil) ... So then I come back and chop it up with them .. I end up meeting this brotha who plays capoeira (I trained with his school for a good week for free) , meets his family, etc ...

We remain friends to this day ...

But yeah, I realize our actions as Blacks in Am affect a lot of ppl ... Even bad elements of our culture permeate ...

I don't play much now bc life gets in the way, but it's an excellent form of exercise, and super fun to watch ... I remember getting whacked by a little kid na roda when I went back (almost 5+ years ago) ..

If you get a chance, listen to the music of capoeira... Kinda relaxing, and you will want to go out and buy a berimbau :)
Fam my mestrae says that they say "nego" nigga like it's nothing. So I know he's a racist but he doesn't think so because in brazilian culture they have anti-black racism built right in.

cjg

Senior Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
Fam my mestrae says that they say "nego" nigga like it's nothing. So I know he's a racist but he doesn't think so because in brazilian culture they have anti-black racism built right in.
Oh, didn't know that .. but I actually saw the word 'Niggaz' , I was surprised lol ..

My nickname they called me was Pneu, and someone (I met MV Bill when he came here) told me that had a bad connotation as well ..

cjg

Senior Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
naw fam. I'm FBA I just been training for almost 10 years. And I still suck LOL

Oh I feel you. My own mestrae is a white brazilian and he told me that it's an odity here to see black people doing well. He said, with a straight face, black guys don't drive corvettes in Brazil. I got offended but fuck it. I need the knowledge and one day I'll knock his ass out in the roda. It's all love Mes. LOL
Lol. Yep, I didn't see any actually lol. But I know there are some doing well (they have this afro-brazilian movie on kwelitv showing middle income blacks (mulattos but hey) ...

Unfortunately, thats how it is there ... My partners were laughing at me bc I brought my lady, who is dark skin ... Colorism is related to mobility in their eyes ...

cjg

Senior Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I wish smaller cities had access to instructors.. I would love to see young men trained in this..
My Bros were trying to start a project like this, but it never took off ... It's already going on in other countries, to some extent ...Brazil Tourism Ministry exports the good ones to other countries to teach .. my Bro has been sent to 5-6 countries (currently in Russia now :(