The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Why were people so hard on Simone Biles?

Finesse

Sixer
zBucks
During the Olympics, Simone Biles didn't play through a lot of the Olympics. It was rumored to be her neves, or anxiety. I also heard that she wasn't able to take certain medication, as it was against the law in Japan, and due to that she was unable to compete.

Anyway, when she sat out, people went mad on the woman. I don't get it, they called her a quitter, and I think even some called her a baby. I never understood why she got so much hate. Even if it was because she sat out, while others had to miss out. I call BS on that, because no matter what, someone else got to play in her place. So she if anything allowed another young woman to shine while she sat.

Honestly, this is more about mental health. We shouldn't hate on someone because of their nerves. If they can't go, no one should face criticism for it. Just like with Naomi Osaka, that tennis player who backed out of the major tennis event.

Mental health isn't something to hate someone for.

Prankster

Sixer
zBucks
In general, people don't care about mental health and they don't know what it takes to perform on that level. Not only that, but she's in a dangerous sport where if she didn't feel confident in herself, she didn't need to be out there. I know she took a lot of heat for the decision but I hope it shows people that mental health is important and that it's important to advocate for yourself and what's best for you, no matter what you're doing.

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I can't help but to think people were waiting on a reason to hate on a successful black woman. Especially when people hyped her up so much, a lot of people were waiting for her to slip up.
    Yup. Some of the commentary was straight up racist saying she was selfish and let America down. It was terrible.

zBucks
    I can't help but to think people were waiting on a reason to hate on a successful black woman. Especially when people hyped her up so much, a lot of people were waiting for her to slip up.
    I feel like that's part of it. So many people seem to have jumped on her big time, but yet she is a human being who has emotions just like everyone else. Hell, I doubt I could keep my calm in the damn olympics.

I've had my struggles with mental health, so when I heard of her wanting to back-out, I understood, because even though I may not be experiencing the same thing, I know the pressure of having to go through with something public, and the olympics is as public as you can get.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I feel like that's part of it. So many people seem to have jumped on her big time, but yet she is a human being who has emotions just like everyone else. Hell, I doubt I could keep my calm in the damn olympics.

I've had my struggles with mental health, so when I heard of her wanting to back-out, I understood, because even though I may not be experiencing the same thing, I know the pressure of having to go through with something public, and the olympics is as public as you can get.
    the USA as a whole doesn’t see Black Americans as human beings or citizens we just left overs from the colonial period

Finesse

Sixer
    zBucks
    Yeah, if some white person dropped out no one would flip out or act up, but a black woman who's dealing with her mental health, she gets hate for wanting to back out.

I remember hearing on a forum recently how she was taking away from other women who wanted to go to the olympics. Like seriously? They have backups already in case someone can't compete. And people calling her names and making fun of her for not competing, was messed up. I told them that mental illness isn't something to joke about. So what if someone can't compete, it's life, sometimes we change our minds.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yeah, if some white person dropped out no one would flip out or act up, but a black woman who's dealing with her mental health, she gets hate for wanting to back out.

I remember hearing on a forum recently how she was taking away from other women who wanted to go to the olympics. Like seriously? They have backups already in case someone can't compete. And people calling her names and making fun of her for not competing, was messed up. I told them that mental illness isn't something to joke about. So what if someone can't compete, it's life, sometimes we change our minds.
    Fax

90s thumbs up GIF

Real One

Sixer
    zBucks
    Yeah the same with the Naomi Osaka situation, that tennis player that didn't want to do interviews for the media. And due to that, had to backout of the event. I think everyone has anxiety, but some people have it way worse. I couldn't imagine myself being out in front of the world. I could be on tv, but if I have my face plastered on magazines, am bombarded with media requests, questions and paparazzi, it's got to become a chore on the brain to get through.

It all comes down to the fact that we're all human in the end, and all of our brains work differently. I am a talkative person, but my brother is crazy shy, to the point where he doesn't like to meet new people often. So I can see if someone is pushed into the limelight, it'll cause them so much stress mentally.

The hate these women received was dumb. Like we can't back out of something without facing criticism? I thought people took mental health more seriously in this country, but it looks like we have a far way to go for that.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yeah the same with the Naomi Osaka situation, that tennis player that didn't want to do interviews for the media. And due to that, had to backout of the event. I think everyone has anxiety, but some people have it way worse. I couldn't imagine myself being out in front of the world. I could be on tv, but if I have my face plastered on magazines, am bombarded with media requests, questions and paparazzi, it's got to become a chore on the brain to get through.

It all comes down to the fact that we're all human in the end, and all of our brains work differently. I am a talkative person, but my brother is crazy shy, to the point where he doesn't like to meet new people often. So I can see if someone is pushed into the limelight, it'll cause them so much stress mentally.

The hate these women received was dumb. Like we can't back out of something without facing criticism? I thought people took mental health more seriously in this country, but it looks like we have a far way to go for that.

Yeah but if Naomi Osaka was White the media would be talking about the importance of mental health. So while we do have to prioritize mental health, we cannot remove the fact that the backlash was because she was Black and not because the US doesn't respect mental health. It's like drugs, when Black people smoke crack the answer is "LOCK EM UP" all the White people in fly over states hooked on Meth are given resources to help cure them of their addictions.

D

Deleted member 1946

Yeah but if Naomi Osaka was White the media would be talking about the importance of mental health. So while we do have to prioritize mental health, we cannot remove the fact that the backlash was because she was Black and not because the US doesn't respect mental health. It's like drugs, when Black people smoke crack the answer is "LOCK EM UP" all the White people in fly over states hooked on Meth are given resources to help cure them of their addictions.
    well said

D

Deleted member 1946

People act like these athletes are robots. They are humans.

D

Deleted member 1946

They would be compassionate and want others to understand. You are right.