The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Would Tom Brady have had success if he started on another team?

DaBeast

Sixer
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
Tom Brady is probably the GOAT in terms of the NFL today, whether you like the guy or not, he's a beast. But, if he never played for the Patriots, do you think he would have been as successful? I don't know if Tom Brady could have become the best with other teams. He has Bill Belichick as well, and I think he helped grow Brady into the player he is today.

I like thinking about this sort of stuff, like what if he played for another team? Or maybe he sat behind Bledsoe for another season or two and then was traded off to another team or played later for the Patriots. I don't think his career would have gone the same. What do you guys think?

D

Deleted member 191

Emphatically NO! Historically, Michigan QBs range from average journeyman to horrible at the next level. He benefitted greatly from having a more mature and confident Bill Belichick helping guide him and a system that didn't really need him to do a lot other than protect the football. He was in the right system. period. ANY OTHER FRANCHISE that would have needed him to be the player he ultimately became before he was ready to be it, would have spelled disaster for him. Hopefully, he has sent a care package or two to Mo Lewis at some point in his career. Who's Mo Lewis? The linebacker who laid out Drew Bledsoe and ushered in the birth of Tom Brady.

DaBeast

Sixer
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
Emphatically NO! Historically, Michigan QBs range from average journeyman to horrible at the next level. He benefitted greatly from having a more mature and confident Bill Belichick helping guide him and a system that didn't really need him to do a lot other than protect the football. He was in the right system. period. ANY OTHER FRANCHISE that would have needed him to be the player he ultimately became before he was ready to be it, would have spelled disaster for him. Hopefully, he has sent a care package or two to Mo Lewis at some point in his career. Who's Mo Lewis? The linebacker who laid out Drew Bledsoe and ushered in the birth of Tom Brady.
I agree. It's still confusing to me how he turned out to be so good. But when you have someone like Bill Belichick molding you, it's bound to create someone good.

Makes you wonder, is Mo Lewis never injured Drew Bledsoe, things could be vastly different. Or it could just mean less Super Bowls for Tom Brady lol.

D

Deleted member 191

I agree. It's still confusing to me how he turned out to be so good. But when you have someone like Bill Belichick molding you, it's bound to create someone good.

Makes you wonder, is Mo Lewis never injured Drew Bledsoe, things could be vastly different. Or it could just mean less Super Bowls for Tom Brady lol.
Idk I think we'd just be talking about the GOAT Drew Bledsoe instead of Tom Brady. Tom Brady would merely be the guy who played behind Drew Bledsoe.

D

Deleted member 191

i have a hard time calling a QB the GOAT. For my money, Ed Reed is the GOAT
I'm not sure I follow your meaning. Not you're saying you're wrong or anything, but I'm just not understanding what you mean by "having a hard time calling a QB the GOAT." Are you meaning you don't hold the position in high enough regard for anyone to be considered a GOAT at that position?

Bmick#8

Royal Sixer
Content Contributor
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
I'm not sure I follow your meaning. Not you're saying you're wrong or anything, but I'm just not understanding what you mean by "having a hard time calling a QB the GOAT." Are you meaning you don't hold the position in high enough regard for anyone to be considered a GOAT at that position?
I think the QB gets too much credit and not enough of the blame--unless they are a Black QB and then you can apply the inverse, which is not enough credit and too much blame

Victorystatus

Smell my cologne...
Content Contributor
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
Before Tom Shady got his Charles Haley (Black Player) was the only player with 5 rings and Warren Moon held the record for most yards. I see the league using his face to change rules and bring among us great white hope stats. I think if Brady plays for the Lions, Bengals, or Browns he'd go bust. However, as a devils advocate, what a perfect catch for him and the Patriots, for getting drafted ass last in the league and becoming a Peyton Manning-like film and technique junky but that's where its stops. Cam Newton, Donavan McNabb, Mike Vick, Doug Williams and Randall Cunningham all had better technique with worse teams with only one of them handing John Elway his ass on the biggest stage in 1988. We all know this has been at least a 20yr campaign to boost the last white knight and make these stats unreachable, EVERYBODY KNOWS WE DON'T WATCH THE GAMES BECAUSE OF BRADY OR ANY OTHER OF THESE WANNABE VIKINGS.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I don't think so. From what I remember when I used to watch the NFL, he was only as gifted as the men around him. A lot of his credit, his skill, etc. comes from having a great team and a leveled coach. I think this is the case for most QBs though. They all have skill but they seldom get to master it cause they have a lackluster team or a coaching team that sucks. That and money makes a difference.