Movies and TV

Where TV and Film lovers go to talk about their favorite programming.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

You Ever Watch The Wire?

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    I think it is from 2002 and ended after a 6 year run. I never watched it but it is listed as a top show on most TV show lists of recommended. I am bringing it up now because my mom and dad started watching it and they told me it is really good and did not age badly. Has a sizable black cast too.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I think it is from 2002 and ended after a 6 year run. I never watched it but it is listed as a top show on most TV show lists of recommended. I am bringing it up now because my mom and dad started watching it and they told me it is really good and did not age badly. Has a sizable black cast too.
    The Wire and Breaking Bad are tied at number 1 for the GOAT television series spot. There are two things that will make your experience with The Wire better: 1. AVOID ALL SPOILERS, and 2. EVERYTHING MATTERS. There are no throwaway scenes, and everything ties together nicely.
    Some people say that season 2 was the "bad" season (I'm not one of those people), but that's the season that has a ton of character development. Fun fact, a lot of characters on the show are based on real people from both sides of the Baltimore drug game.
    I'll bet you a steak dinner that you and your family get hooked (no pun intended) on The Wire!

Kanu

Senior Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Latin America
    Mike ain't Mike no mo

CV41_o.gif

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    Some TV historians (whatever that is) have often put The Wire or The Sopranos as best tv show ever. My view is, at its best, a specific episode here or there, pretty much nothing beats The Sopranos but I thought The Wire was the most consistently good tv show ever. And what makes it probably the best is that almost any show that politicizes is not good.

They tackled, drug addiction, the education system, the local government, the press and made it entertaining. They were able to 'preach' about the bad of those institutions and make it extremely entertaining which is almost impossible.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    The Wire and Breaking Bad are tied at number 1 for the GOAT television series spot. There are two things that will make your experience with The Wire better: 1. AVOID ALL SPOILERS, and 2. EVERYTHING MATTERS. There are no throwaway scenes, and everything ties together nicely.
    Some people say that season 2 was the "bad" season (I'm not one of those people), but that's the season that has a ton of character development. Fun fact, a lot of characters on the show are based on real people from both sides of the Baltimore drug game.
    I'll bet you a steak dinner that you and your family get hooked (no pun intended) on The Wire!
    I am going to start watching it this weekend and try to catch up to where they are so they don't spoil anything by mistake and we can actually talk about the show. They only watch an episode a night so I am not too far behind. Do you know how many episodes there are per season?

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I am going to start watching it this weekend and try to catch up to where they are so they don't spoil anything by mistake and we can actually talk about the show. They only watch an episode a night so I am not too far behind. Do you know how many episodes there are per season?
    IIRC, each season was between 10-13 episodes.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Okay cool so this won't take me long to catch up to them. I am going to watch a bunch this weekend. I think they are half way through season 2 so I can probably catch up by next weekend.
    You'll catch up pretty quickly. Once you start watching, let us know what you think & who your favorite characters are.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    You'll catch up pretty quickly. Once you start watching, let us know what you think & who your favorite characters are.
    Watched the first few last night. The introduction to the series felt a bit slow but I am interested in it. No connections to any characters yet but that takes time for me. I will watch more at the weekend.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    I am loving it. How come no one told me to watch this sooner? LOL

Like this show beats the crap out of all these modern shows by a mile. I am all caught up with my fam but I am so tempted to watch ahead of them. I binged the hell out of the show and don't wanna stop!