Sixer First Class+
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
Caribbean
Mixed feelings on this one. I wouldn't want my daughter unbraiding his air. He says the parents were okay with it. My guess? And its only a guess. They were single moms who said it was okay. I can't really see a father, step father, even mom's bf being okay with a girl doing that.

It has weirdo vibes. It has grooming vibes. That said, I wouldn't doubt he's a positive influence on them. My guess is these girls don't have any father figures.

Lastly, we (Blacks) are desperate for Black men to teach in predominantly Black schools. I had a handful growing up. Middle and High School. None in elementary school. I would love to see a program where we recruit Black men to teach from elementary (start that male energy early) school and pay them well enough to make it financially viable for them to do it. We have more than enough sisters. They are great, needed and got mad love for them. But the truth is too many Black girls grow up with next to no authoritative / father figure black males. Single mother homes, biological father isn't involved. From K-12 no black male teachers...except maybe gym class...maybe. Young folks aren't going to church so no pastor or deacon and the few either don't have time or you may not him around a daughter. If they go to college, no black male professors unless they go to an HBCU. I'd love to see someone like an Oprah, Robert Smith do that instead of donation to Spelman or Morehouse. If you are a black student who has made it to an HBCU you already got a winning mindset. I'd like to instill that in the 8, 9 and 10 year olds with thorough black men through out their lives.

Long term these girls will likely not choose a pookie or ray ray and you'll reduce pookies and ray rays. Instead of firing him, I'd had rather the school district reprimand him and set boundries. But that's me.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
Super Moderator
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I would be hot if my daughter was braiding his hair. Hell nah…that’s letting them get too comfortable with you.
The girls' parents knew about the activity beforehand, as did the school admin. Before your daughter could've taken out the teacher's braids, you would've had to give permission.
If I were one of the girls' dad, my two biggest beefs would be that my kid wasn't learning anything (then again, I guess you could say she was learning cosmetology & customer service skills), and that braid techs usually get paid. That teacher had those girls working for free.

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    The girls' parents knew about the activity beforehand, as did the school admin. Before your daughter could've taken out the teacher's braids, you would've had to give permission.
    If I were one of the girls' dad, my two biggest beefs would be that my kid wasn't learning anything (then again, I guess you could say she was learning cosmetology & customer service skills), and that braid techs usually get paid. That teacher had those girls working for free.
    Lord so some of the parents opted their children into this? Hell to the nah. Bro as a man this is opening yourself up to a false claim and as a school it’s opening you up to liability. I get it that he wanted to build a bond with the students but I don’t think we should ever let students and teachers get this comfortable because it makes it harder to spot the people who are doing the same but malintentioned.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Lord so some of the parents opted their children into this? Hell to the nah. Bro as a man this is opening yourself up to a false claim and as a school it’s opening you up to liability. I get it that he wanted to build a bond with the students but I don’t think we should ever let students and teachers get this comfortable because it makes it harder to spot the people who are doing the same but malintentioned.
    You're 1,000% right about that false claim part! All it would've taken was one accusation, and homeboy would've been in big trouble. Hopefully, the teacher moves more carefully in the future.

JerriBun

Master Sixer
    Super Moderator
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    There is also a video of them sending messages to him and referring to him as "Bestie." Very inappropriate and unprofessional. People, especially these new parents, need to know what boundaries are and teach them to their children and students.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    They say 'parents' but my guess is there wasn't a father that said it was okay. Like you, I just can't see any father saying his daughter can unbraid a male teachers head. If my daughter (17 or 18) has a boyfriend, okay but other than that? Nah and if she asks why she can't unbraid her teacher's hair, I'd start worrying.

I think these are single moms doing it. Not saying its all. Most single moms I know personally would be like 'Hell no'.

Tia2You

Registered
    I’m New Here
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I think he should be watched thoroughly and carefully but also pay attention to the attitude he has. He keeps saying, I'm the good guy and I care about my students which sounds like most groomers. He probably really cares but then he keeps saying I'm going to stir the pot and I don't care how you come at me. That right there is teaching his students to be trollish in social media which is another groomer tactic. If you continue to move that way there are those that will receive the messaging a certain type of way. I don't think he should be fired without evidence of wrong doing but you can be an authority figure and still help your students without all this drama for content. Just show us the students that are succeeding in S.T.E.M. from your instructions.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    Completely agree he should be watched. One thing I would have done as a principal or administrator is once I saw that have a meeting with him. Just to make things clear. No personal info on students such as email, cell number, and no connections via IG or Twitter. All interaction is verbal and in school and within view of anyone. Don't meet any student alone. If a student says I want to talk to you about a problem, anything, refer them to the office even if they say they are more comfortable telling you.

That being said, we actually had two teachers in 5th grade who were cool as hell, played b ball with us at break as well as choose up sides for touch football and they were QBs for each team. They taught with tough love. They had zero issues in checking you for getting out of line. Years later, I am social media friends with one of them and his wife. They were instrumental in giving some young black kids confidence to do or be anything. These days? He couldn't do that. The world is scarier and crazier. Maybe it was just as crazy back then but we didn't realize it. Our parents knew them, trusted them because they showed they could be trusted. I remember we talked about getting boxing gloves, 3 minute round, for any beef that is going to escalate to fights behind the school or in the bathroom with parent permission. It was their way to stop fights that ended up bloody or broken noses, black eyes, or bullying or whatever.

We definitely didn't have male teachers cool with girls like that. A few female teachers were surrogate moms kinda to all of us.

This guy....hmm...yeah, keep an eye on.

Tia2You

Registered
    I’m New Here
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Completely agree he should be watched. One thing I would have done as a principal or administrator is once I saw that have a meeting with him. Just to make things clear. No personal info on students such as email, cell number, and no connections via IG or Twitter. All interaction is verbal and in school and within view of anyone. Don't meet any student alone. If a student says I want to talk to you about a problem, anything, refer them to the office even if they say they are more comfortable telling you.

That being said, we actually had two teachers in 5th grade who were cool as hell, played b ball with us at break as well as choose up sides for touch football and they were QBs for each team. They taught with tough love. They had zero issues in checking you for getting out of line. Years later, I am social media friends with one of them and his wife. They were instrumental in giving some young black kids confidence to do or be anything. These days? He couldn't do that. The world is scarier and crazier. Maybe it was just as crazy back then but we didn't realize it. Our parents knew them, trusted them because they showed they could be trusted. I remember we talked about getting boxing gloves, 3 minute round, for any beef that is going to escalate to fights behind the school or in the bathroom with parent permission. It was their way to stop fights that ended up bloody or broken noses, black eyes, or bullying or whatever.

We definitely didn't have male teachers cool with girls like that. A few female teachers were surrogate moms kinda to all of us.

This guy....hmm...yeah, keep an eye on.
    Agreed.