The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

13 Year Old Becomes Youngest Student on Georgia Teach Campus

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    1629978461419.jpeg

Most colleges have a “Big Man On Campus,” typically the football star who gets all the attention.

It’s a little different at Georgia Tech this fall semester. Much of the focus is on 13-year-old Caleb Anderson, who began his first day of classes Monday as a full-time student, where he’s studying aerospace engineering. Anderson, a lanky lad who said he had a recent growth spurt to 5 feet, 4 inches, became a teenager just two weeks ago.

Anderson took an Integral Calculus class and Chemistry II and then sat for several rounds of interviews with curious reporters eager to find out what it’s like for him to be at Georgia Tech, which is consistently ranked as one of the nation’s top public universities.

“It really feels like home to me,” Anderson told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Georgia Tech officials are unsure if Anderson is the youngest student ever, but he’s certainly one of the youngest in recent memory. Young students like Anderson are rare, but not entirely unique, on college campuses in Georgia. Martin Luther King Jr. was 15 when he enrolled at nearby Morehouse College. More recently, Sydney Wilson drew some acclaim when she enrolled at Spelman College two years ago at the age of 14.

Anderson raced through advanced classes at the now-closed Shreiner Academy when he was a toddler. An IQ test cemented that he was profoundly smart. Anderson, from Marietta, enrolled at Chattahoochee Technical College two years ago, saying he needed a tougher academic challenge than the private schools he attended.

Anderson expressed his desire to attend Georgia Tech last year, drawing immediate interest from its president, Ángel Cabrera. He w
    as interested in the school because it’s close to home (his two younger siblings didn’t want him to leave the Atlanta area) and he believes in the aerospace program.

Administrators saw his potential, although Anderson hasn’t taken the SAT. Georgia Tech, which is part of the University System of Georgia, waived its test score requirements for fall 2021 admission due to uncertainty about the scheduling of SAT/ACT testing during the COVID-19 pandemic.

One challenge that faced Anderson was financial. He was too young to receive any of the state’s merit-based educational scholarships, his family explained. Comedian and radio/television personality Steve Harvey offered to help pay for his education, which he’s done through his foundation. Anderson, who met Harvey, said he’s “grateful for everything he’s done for me.”

Anderson is a commuter student. His parents are driving him to campus, about a 30-minute commute. Georgia Tech has set aside space on campus for his father, Kobi, to work while his son takes classes. Anderson will be bringing lunch from home.

Anderson is taking 12 credits this semester. He’s carrying over credits from Chattahoochee Tech and hopes to earn his bachelor’s degree in two to three years. He wants to get his master’s degree at Georgia Tech and then his doctorate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. His long-term goal, by adulthood, is to work for SpaceX or start his own company. Anderson wants to provide similar educational opportunities for young people like himself.

Georgia Tech’s youngest student was surprised — and a little nervous because of the COVID-19 pandemic — by the size of one class, which was more than 100 students. Anderson said he has interest in a couple of clubs on campus and getting back into fencing.

The school has arranged for two students in the aerospace engineering program to mentor Anderson. He believes mentors, along with parental support, are critical for anyone his age considering a similar academic path.

“There is no way you can do this on your own,” he said

Lamont

Sixer
    zBucks
    While I applaud the academic prowess on display, I do hope that his parents also prioritize the development of his social skills to ensure he grows into a balanced individual. In times of distress we often lean on those who we relate to but this young man won’t have that if his social group are young adults who view him as a novelty. Those who are accolade driven will see no wrong and neither do I but I do hope that his emotional and mental development are kept in mind throughout this process.

Invincible1914

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    While I applaud the academic prowess on display, I do hope that his parents also prioritize the development of his social skills to ensure he grows into a balanced individual. In times of distress we often lean on those who we relate to but this young man won’t have that if his social group are young adults who view him as a novelty. Those who are accolade driven will see no wrong and neither do I but I do hope that his emotional and mental development are kept in mind throughout this process.
    Yeah, this can't be good for his social development. It's cool that he has a 5 year head start, but he's 13. When he's 15-16 who is he supposed to go out with? No prom. No high school parties. No hanging out with the fellas.

They should make a tv show about a kid going through puberty surrounded by sorority chicks.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yeah, this can't be good for his social development. It's cool that he has a 5 year head start, but he's 13. When he's 15-16 who is he supposed to go out with? No prom. No high school parties. No hanging out with the fellas.

They should make a tv show about a kid going through puberty surrounded by sorority chicks.
    fax

he ain't gon' be respected, they gon' pat him on the head lowkey and send him on his way. he gon' be 16-17 starting to feel horny and no one is going to take him seriously which will hurt his spirt.

He'll be scoping the shorties at the library: keithsweatdatass

the women gon be like: mjlol

he gonna be like: cmblankstare

Lamont

Sixer
    zBucks

Age 22 with a PhD and no friends; masking the loneliness with more academia and employment which will never fill the void. An exaggerated example was the one and only Brother Michael Jackson who stated that he didn’t experience friendship until the Thriller album was released.

eclipsed

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    We need more of this. Black boys need to be lifted up and appreciated for things like this more. I am sick of seeing them feeling like they have to be stuck in the hood and slinging drugs around to matter. If you are good at a sport, you ride that and get out of the ghetto. If you come from a household that has started you off better in life, you take full advantage of that. There is no shame in wanting to be able to provide for yourself and give a middle finger to the government handouts that enslave black Americans. I hope this kid goes far!

Real One

Sixer
    zBucks
    Kids something special. I wish I had the brain he had growing up. The fact he's in college at the age of 13, is impressive.

We need more of this. Black boys need to be lifted up and appreciated for things like this more. I am sick of seeing them feeling like they have to be stuck in the hood and slinging drugs around to matter. If you are good at a sport, you ride that and get out of the ghetto. If you come from a household that has started you off better in life, you take full advantage of that. There is no shame in wanting to be able to provide for yourself and give a middle finger to the government handouts that enslave black Americans. I hope this kid goes far!
    Oh hell yeah! I 100% agree. We need to be showcasing the future. I hope my future children are better than me. Because if they are, that means I'm doing something right.

RedMoon

Sixer
    zBucks
    So true! Use your talent and get yourself out. There's no shame in that game. I'm sure they'll do the best they can with socializing him - Not only have they probably been to that but I'm sure they were aware of that anyway.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    So true! Use your talent and get yourself out. There's no shame in that game. I'm sure they'll do the best they can with socializing him - Not only have they probably been to that but I'm sure they were aware of that anyway.
    I agree but the fact that you have to get yourself out in the first place needs to be discussed and fixed. But at the end of the day I applaud the effort and hope the parents continue to nuture that boy.

Barida

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Native American
    Origin
    USA

I think the parents won't be that stupid not to keep a close look on how the kid develop his social skills. Some of the Whites might make an attempt to bully him and that is what his parents should be looking out for. Anderson looks a bright kid and I hope he gets all the support to excel in his academics.

Heatice

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    Canada
    This is something very good to be happy about, at least it's some sort of a relief from all the horrors, shooting and killings that's been targeted at our kids for a while now. I hope this kid grab every opportunity this presents to him and make the most of it to become something bigger and better in the future for himself and his family as well as his community. This is a good win for us.

TerraX1

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    View attachment 4

Most colleges have a “Big Man On Campus,” typically the football star who gets all the attention.

It’s a little different at Georgia Tech this fall semester. Much of the focus is on 13-year-old Caleb Anderson, who began his first day of classes Monday as a full-time student, where he’s studying aerospace engineering. Anderson, a lanky lad who said he had a recent growth spurt to 5 feet, 4 inches, became a teenager just two weeks ago.

Anderson took an Integral Calculus class and Chemistry II and then sat for several rounds of interviews with curious reporters eager to find out what it’s like for him to be at Georgia Tech, which is consistently ranked as one of the nation’s top public universities.

“It really feels like home to me,” Anderson told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Georgia Tech officials are unsure if Anderson is the youngest student ever, but he’s certainly one of the youngest in recent memory. Young students like Anderson are rare, but not entirely unique, on college campuses in Georgia. Martin Luther King Jr. was 15 when he enrolled at nearby Morehouse College. More recently, Sydney Wilson drew some acclaim when she enrolled at Spelman College two years ago at the age of 14.

Anderson raced through advanced classes at the now-closed Shreiner Academy when he was a toddler. An IQ test cemented that he was profoundly smart. Anderson, from Marietta, enrolled at Chattahoochee Technical College two years ago, saying he needed a tougher academic challenge than the private schools he attended.

Anderson expressed his desire to attend Georgia Tech last year, drawing immediate interest from its president, Ángel Cabrera. He w
    as interested in the school because it’s close to home (his two younger siblings didn’t want him to leave the Atlanta area) and he believes in the aerospace program.

Administrators saw his potential, although Anderson hasn’t taken the SAT. Georgia Tech, which is part of the University System of Georgia, waived its test score requirements for fall 2021 admission due to uncertainty about the scheduling of SAT/ACT testing during the COVID-19 pandemic.

One challenge that faced Anderson was financial. He was too young to receive any of the state’s merit-based educational scholarships, his family explained. Comedian and radio/television personality Steve Harvey offered to help pay for his education, which he’s done through his foundation. Anderson, who met Harvey, said he’s “grateful for everything he’s done for me.”

Anderson is a commuter student. His parents are driving him to campus, about a 30-minute commute. Georgia Tech has set aside space on campus for his father, Kobi, to work while his son takes classes. Anderson will be bringing lunch from home.

Anderson is taking 12 credits this semester. He’s carrying over credits from Chattahoochee Tech and hopes to earn his bachelor’s degree in two to three years. He wants to get his master’s degree at Georgia Tech and then his doctorate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. His long-term goal, by adulthood, is to work for SpaceX or start his own company. Anderson wants to provide similar educational opportunities for young people like himself.

Georgia Tech’s youngest student was surprised — and a little nervous because of the COVID-19 pandemic — by the size of one class, which was more than 100 students. Anderson said he has interest in a couple of clubs on campus and getting back into fencing.

The school has arranged for two students in the aerospace engineering program to mentor Anderson. He believes mentors, along with parental support, are critical for anyone his age considering a similar academic path.

“There is no way you can do this on your own,” he said
    Wow! Incredible young man!

Danny

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Latin America
    I'm very proud of this kid even though we don't have any sort of physical relationship. But as long as he's a Black, it's more than enough reason for me to be very happy for him and our race.

I hope he put every of his enthusiasm and energy in this opportunity he's got and make the most out of it. Do your parents and us all proud boy.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    Love these types of stories. My only caution is hoping 10 years from now he's not on Fox News talking about 'Black on black' crime, with Becky wife. Just hope he stays grounded and knows who he is. Good family though so I think he will be okay. I wrote a paper once that my white teacher rejected because he said I was 'promoting drug dealing'. I wasn't but the paper was about lost talent. I wrote that there were young black men running essentially million dollar businesses (albeit illegal) who could easily have been the next Zuckerberg, Gate, etc. That they did it under far more strenuous circumstances. Their survival was literally life or death.

The Honorable

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Love these types of stories. My only caution is hoping 10 years from now he's not on Fox News talking about 'Black on black' crime, with Becky wife. Just hope he stays grounded and knows who he is. Good family though so I think he will be okay. I wrote a paper once that my white teacher rejected because he said I was 'promoting drug dealing'. I wasn't but the paper was about lost talent. I wrote that there were young black men running essentially million dollar businesses (albeit illegal) who could easily have been the next Zuckerberg, Gate, etc. That they did it under far more strenuous circumstances. Their survival was literally life or death.
    He absolutely will. They turn out 18 year olds in academia and have them talking about intersectionality, misogynoir, and other garbage. He is going to be praised by those folks which will stroke his ego and make him feel as if he belongs. He has about a 90% chance of being an academic bowtie wearing coon.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I wrote that there were young black men running essentially million dollar businesses (albeit illegal) who could easily have been the next Zuckerberg, Gate, etc. That they did it under far more strenuous circumstances. Their survival was literally life or death.
    the jeopardy you know GIF by Jeopardy!

What is shit that makes me hate white people for $400 Alex?

Heatice

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    Canada
    I think the parents won't be that stupid not to keep a close look on how the kid develop his social skills. Some of the Whites might make an attempt to bully him and that is what his parents should be looking out for. Anderson looks a bright kid and I hope he gets all the support to excel in his academics.
    They have bullied us all our lives and they are definitely not going to be stopping right now. But I'm very sure that Anderson looks very bright just like you observed and his parents must have prepared him mentally in respect to what he might likely experience in the new environment.