The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

80s or 90s???

MR-D-ROB

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Man this is a tough one! Both decades had so much awesome music! Growing up the late 90's and 00's, I used to say I liked 80's music better. However as I get older, I'm starting to like the 90's era of music just a little bit more, since I have more nostalgia for it.
    90s was my teenage years so it has a bit more nostalgia and I can remember it better. It just brings back memories hearing that new jack swing and classic west coast and east coast hip hop.

MR-D-ROB

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    The early to mid 90s was amazing for hip-hop, rap, and r&b. After we entered the 00's, you can hear how it changes. By 2005ish, these genres sounded more like pop and club music than anything else. I can't stand most modern music.
    Yeah, the very early 00s were alright. After that it kind of died off. Rap lost the art of the music and it became just a way to make money quickly. People with little to no talent began making it big and that started a trend.

This led to mumble rap where you don't have to even be understood in your lyrics. In the 90s it was about having a good rhyme scheme and using metaphors and forms of poetry in the lyrics.

I remember just getting excited at hearing some cold lyrics for the first time. I honestly can't remember getting that excitement about lyrics for a long time now!

Finesse

Sixer
    zBucks
    I think the late 80s to the 90s was the best time, especially it being the best time for rap, hip hop & R&B. It's really when the those genres blew up. Early 80s I'd say it was a bit tougher. The 80s was a bit tougher for black artists compared to the 90s. Each decade has a wide history of talent. I think the 90s beats it because of the rap game in the 90s. It just was on another level.

But yeah, I'll listen to music from either decade.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yeah, the very early 00s were alright. After that it kind of died off. Rap lost the art of the music and it became just a way to make money quickly. People with little to no talent began making it big and that started a trend.

This led to mumble rap where you don't have to even be understood in your lyrics. In the 90s it was about having a good rhyme scheme and using metaphors and forms of poetry in the lyrics.

I remember just getting excited at hearing some cold lyrics for the first time. I honestly can't remember getting that excitement about lyrics for a long time now!
    People don't realize this but the billboard charts are based on sales so what sells the most on places like iTunes is what gets pushed the most. I believe the majority of sales on places like that are from younger white people so they basically infiltrated and ruined our music by doing this. It used to be poetic and filled with talent, now - we are lucky to find a black man with talent not wearing dresses.

equis

Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    The 80s had some good music, but there was definitely an evolutionary boom in the 90s. R&B and Hip Hop took on new life and incorporated regional flavors. New styles and flows were emerging. You started seeing more crossover records between the R&B and Hip Hop Worlds. I feel things got more vibrant in the 90s.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I'm going to have to go with the 90's. The 80's was the decade where niggas found out synthesizers existed and started going ham with it. In the early 90's we got to a balance where there was still synthesizers but there was a balance. This is my favorite 90's track.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO0kYat4jyY

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    '80s for MTV style, white boy music..yes, I said it, I like it. My older cousin was into that and played it when she baby sat us. British adrogynous ish (Human League, Flock of Seagulls, etc), other ish, Take my black card if you want. Any decade with Michael Jackson has to get a shout. The hip hop was basic but good.

'90s black musick be it, rap or R&B was on hype. The '90s is when hip hop killed rock. White people NEVER talk about it but before the '90s, rock ruled. The '90s was the last of it with Nirvana, etc. but by the end of the '90s, black music doiminated the charts. And black music expanded into all kinds of directions, new jack swing, etc. Hip Hop got into all kinds of areas and styles, much more varied. The most varied decade for hip hop I think.

Sadly, I think that decade killed hip hop as well when the biggest black labels (Def Jam, Rockafella, etc) sold out to the major labels and conscious rappers stopped getting signed as well as straight out spitters, who had to find smaller, more independent labels.

Bmick#8

Royal Sixer
    Content Contributor
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    '80s for MTV style, white boy music..yes, I said it, I like it. My older cousin was into that and played it when she baby sat us. British adrogynous ish (Human League, Flock of Seagulls, etc), other ish, Take my black card if you want. Any decade with Michael Jackson has to get a shout. The hip hop was basic but good.

'90s black musick be it, rap or R&B was on hype. The '90s is when hip hop killed rock. White people NEVER talk about it but before the '90s, rock ruled. The '90s was the last of it with Nirvana, etc. but by the end of the '90s, black music doiminated the charts. And black music expanded into all kinds of directions, new jack swing, etc. Hip Hop got into all kinds of areas and styles, much more varied. The most varied decade for hip hop I think.

Sadly, I think that decade killed hip hop as well when the biggest black labels (Def Jam, Rockafella, etc) sold out to the major labels and conscious rappers stopped getting signed as well as straight out spitters, who had to find smaller, more independent labels.
    Flock of Seagulls go hard!

I think the 90's was the peak of most commercial art. Gen X was the last group of risk takers in all genres, movies, rock, rap....hell even major league baseball and the National Football were the best it would ever be in the 90's. Sadly, 96 was when it all plateaued.

Harbinger

Senior Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA

I think the 90's was the peak of most commercial art. Gen X was the last group of risk takers in all genres, movies, rock, rap....hell even major league baseball and the National Football were the best it would ever be in the 90's. Sadly, 96 was when it all plateaued.
    I feel like at that time the corporations tightened up on all artistic expression and started pumping out formulaic mass market product. We saw it in music, movies, and sports too. It’s almost like the white people go together and decided to “reign these negros in”.

ART

Royal Sixer
    Community Host
    Content Contributor
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

I feel like at that time the corporations tightened up on all artistic expression and started pumping out formulaic mass market product. We saw it in music, movies, and sports too. It’s almost like the white people go together and decided to “reign these negros in”.

This is what happened in 1996. You can thank Bill Clinton for this. What happened in 1996 thanks to Bill Clinton and his Congress also allowed for right wing hate talk radio and Rush Limbaugh, Don Imus, and other white hateful racists of the world to dominate air waves.

Telecommunications Act of 1996

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lWJ4G-VPTqc

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gFsu-a6KIHI

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YBr0DC8gdp8

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HLroKHqQmlw

I posted this in another thread:

What advice would you have for young rappers and musicians, since you were the first rapper to own your own label and control your own music, especially as the old label system has disintegrated?

Uncle Luke:

"I look at two people who really screwed up the music business, two people who everybody right now swears they’re the greatest thing since sliced bread. One, Al Gore, whose wife Tipper Gore came after me — and I talk about it in the book — he and everybody else who did. Democrats. The other one, Bill Clinton. Everybody loves Bill Clinton. Bill Clinton deregulated the radio stations. Before, when I was a young man, you had a radio station in every market owned by a person in that market. That was the FCC rules and regulations.

When he deregulated radio where the conglomerates could now come in and buy those radio stations, the conglomerates came in, bought all the radio stations from that little man, gave him millions of dollars and took his radio station. And that’s why you have all these syndicated shows on there. You only got 13 songs, if that. The record companies are jumping up and down like, “Oh shit, we can get rid of all these independent record companies,” but then they got it too because they had to close down shop because the radio stations ain’t gonna play but 13 songs.

Then you got the internet, which Al Gore introduced to the world. Now they add the music onto the internet and killed all these record stores, killed all the pressing plants, killed everything. So all these jobs went with it too. So now the labels are getting killed and the artists are getting killed.

But for a guy like myself it ain’t no problem because I’m used to working underground. I’m an underground king. I could live like that. I’m used to functioning that way.

I would tell people--I talk to young people all the time--look here, make music people wanna hear, and you won’t have to worry about it. You have an easier way to introduce music to people because you have social media. Before, I had to beg and plead to try to get a record played on the radio. I had to go store to store, DJ to DJ and get my record played. Right now you have new avenues to promote and market your own music. As far as being with a major label? Just put your record on iTunes and sell it yourself. The ones who really got the shaft thinking they was real smart were the record labels."

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    This is what happened in 1996. You can thank Bill Clinton for this. What happened in 1996 thanks to Bill Clinton and his Congress also allowed for right wing hate talk radio and Rush Limbaugh, Don Imus, and other white hateful racists of the world to dominate air waves.

Telecommunications Act of 1996

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lWJ4G-VPTqc

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gFsu-a6KIHI

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YBr0DC8gdp8

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HLroKHqQmlw

I posted this in another thread:

What advice would you have for young rappers and musicians, since you were the first rapper to own your own label and control your own music, especially as the old label system has disintegrated?

Uncle Luke:

"I look at two people who really screwed up the music business, two people who everybody right now swears they’re the greatest thing since sliced bread. One, Al Gore, whose wife Tipper Gore came after me — and I talk about it in the book — he and everybody else who did. Democrats. The other one, Bill Clinton. Everybody loves Bill Clinton. Bill Clinton deregulated the radio stations. Before, when I was a young man, you had a radio station in every market owned by a person in that market. That was the FCC rules and regulations.

When he deregulated radio where the conglomerates could now come in and buy those radio stations, the conglomerates came in, bought all the radio stations from that little man, gave him millions of dollars and took his radio station. And that’s why you have all these syndicated shows on there. You only got 13 songs, if that. The record companies are jumping up and down like, “Oh shit, we can get rid of all these independent record companies,” but then they got it too because they had to close down shop because the radio stations ain’t gonna play but 13 songs.

Then you got the internet, which Al Gore introduced to the world. Now they add the music onto the internet and killed all these record stores, killed all the pressing plants, killed everything. So all these jobs went with it too. So now the labels are getting killed and the artists are getting killed.

But for a guy like myself it ain’t no problem because I’m used to working underground. I’m an underground king. I could live like that. I’m used to functioning that way.

I would tell people--I talk to young people all the time--look here, make music people wanna hear, and you won’t have to worry about it. You have an easier way to introduce music to people because you have social media. Before, I had to beg and plead to try to get a record played on the radio. I had to go store to store, DJ to DJ and get my record played. Right now you have new avenues to promote and market your own music. As far as being with a major label? Just put your record on iTunes and sell it yourself. The ones who really got the shaft thinking they was real smart were the record labels."

Amazing point. That definitely helped consolidation under the guise of competition.

themick2012

Registered
    I’m New Here
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    1988 had Straight Outta Compton (N.W.A.), Follow the Leader (Eric B and Rakim), The Great Adventures of Slick Rick, By All Means Necessary (Boogie Down Productions), Strictly Business (EPMD), Long Live the Kane (Big Daddy Kane), It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (Public Enemy), Lyte as a Rock (MC Lyte).

For those of us around at the time it was a real breakthrough. Hip hop doesn't get much better than that.

MR-D-ROB

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I'm going to have to go with the 90's. The 80's was the decade where niggas found out synthesizers existed and started going ham with it. In the early 90's we got to a balance where there was still synthesizers but there was a balance. This is my favorite 90's track.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO0kYat4jyY
    Ralph Tresvant was one of the best. This dude had vocals!
    Plus his beats were just made for a party!

B1 rebel 365

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Other
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Refuse to Disclose
    90s was my teenage years so it has a bit more nostalgia and I can remember it better. It just brings back memories hearing that new jack swing and classic west coast and east coast hip hop.
    The hip hop that other non black groups are now claiming that genre originated with them yet there's no evidence of it 😂

MR-D-ROB

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    The hip hop that other non black groups are now claiming that genre originated with them yet there's no evidence of it 😂
    That's why I'm not too into commercial hip hop that is if you can even still call anything main stream hip hop anymore.

I listen to a lot of underground artists and local artists from around the country.

You can find a lot of independent artists on DatPiff and sites like that.

Otherwise I just listen to the old artists. I don't listen to any mumble rap at all. That's how hip hop will get stolen.

Heatice

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    Canada
    The early to mid 90s was amazing for hip-hop, rap, and r&b. After we entered the 00's, you can hear how it changes. By 2005ish, these genres sounded more like pop and club music than anything else. I can't stand most modern music.
    Seriously, most modern music now are just full of trash and mostly nudity. Most of the time, all they sing about it just sex and drugs. It's only few of them that I listen to their songs.