The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Anyone attend college here? Is it even worth it to attend?

Finesse

Sixer
zBucks
I have not been interested in going to college for a while. My family tells me I should go, but I've seen too many friends and family go through student debt just to attend college, so I said no. Instead I have considering doing some form of online schooling, but not through a college. I want to instead invest into sites that will teach you and give you all the resources so you don't have to attend college for years just to major in one subject.

But yeah, no offense if you do go to college. I just don't want to get into any form of debt again, as my parents had it rough when they were in bad debt years ago. And I don't want to get stuck with student loans that will take me years to pay off.

Geoff

Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
School is ok if you want to go into Law, medicine, engineering etc.

It’s also good to build a network of people who can help you in the future. But you gotta go to the right school for that. You can’t do it online.

I say just get a trade or go into IT.

I can’t do the 9-5 thing anymore, so I’m working on being a mobile notary Loan signing agent. You can make good money without a degree. Look into that too.

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    School is ok if you want to go into Law, medicine, engineering etc.

It’s also good to build a network of people who can help you in the future. But you gotta go to the right school for that. You can’t do it online.

I say just get a trade or go into IT.

I can’t do the 9-5 thing anymore, so I’m working on being a mobile notary Loan signing agent. You can make good money without a degree. Look into that too.
    That's some great game. I hate how trades are overlooked in our society, at my last employer, HVAC techs were taking $85k/year home their first year. Thats much more than you'd make 4 years out of college with a degree in humanities.. mjlol

Bruh Man

Senior Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I didn't go to school and decided to work for myself. I am a self taught graphic designer and I do pretty well with it. I think school is great but it depends on the career you want. If you don't want one of the careers that @Geoff mentioned, it might not be for you.

what do you use: ps, ai?

Real One

Sixer
    zBucks
    I agree with Geoff. College is made for certain jobs, but there are so many jobs we can take up as trades and do instead. As well, we have so many resources online now, that we can literally lean everything you'd learn in college, right in the comfort of your own home. And you don't need to go through courses that aren't required.

I went to college for just one year, but dropped out. Not because of how hard it was, just my anxiety blew up and I couldn't handle the amount of work it was. I couldn't keep up with the fact I also worked and did online work on the side.

But, I already paid off my college debts because of the work I was able to get into. If I stuck with college, I probably would be in an even worse, dead end job that I just don't like.

But, don't discount college altogether. If you want to go into a subject that for sure requires years of schooling, then you gotta just hope for the best during your journey.

Bruh Man

Senior Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I learned on CorelDraw but now I use ai mostly.
    AI seems difficult, I can use ps but ai is like:

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I agree with Geoff. College is made for certain jobs, but there are so many jobs we can take up as trades and do instead. As well, we have so many resources online now, that we can literally lean everything you'd learn in college, right in the comfort of your own home. And you don't need to go through courses that aren't required.

I went to college for just one year, but dropped out. Not because of how hard it was, just my anxiety blew up and I couldn't handle the amount of work it was. I couldn't keep up with the fact I also worked and did online work on the side.

But, I already paid off my college debts because of the work I was able to get into. If I stuck with college, I probably would be in an even worse, dead end job that I just don't like.

But, don't discount college altogether. If you want to go into a subject that for sure requires years of schooling, then you gotta just hope for the best during your journey.

Yeah I think the best answer overall is "College COULD be beneficial depending on what your goal is". The USA really did its people a disservice when started telling students that YOU HAVE TO go to college to be a success, it's so far from the truth. It's super evident in technology where developments outpace the curriculum to such a degree that many tech companies don't even look at degrees for individual contributor roles.

Aquilla

Registered
    I’m New Here
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Currently about to be a Senior next this coming fall. Major in Visual Arts I'll say this tho, if you feel that you want to go to college and believe the experience is right for you, then do it. If not, that's fine too considering there are plenty of options to be educated( Ex. Trade School, etc.)

Do what you feel is best for your future. Just make sure you're comfortable going down the path you choose.

FeverPitch

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    It depends. Not wanting to go to college isn't really a good reason not to go.
    If you don't go to college, you're going to have to expend that energy elsewhere to prepare yourself for a career that will sustain you.
    If your want to work in an office setting and work M-F 9 to 5, then you need a bachelors degree.
    The exception to that is tech.
    The bachelors degree is the basic barrier of entry to white collar work.
    If you're not the office type and don't mind physical labor, you might want to skip college and go to a trade school.
    But trade school and coding classes aint free either.
    Secondary education in this country is a straight up racket. But a degree is still worth having.
    If you use your head, you might not be saddled with a ton of debt once you finish.
    You need to start being serious about the future in high school.
    If you're on the ball and keep your grades up, you can apply for multiple scholarships so that you don't have to fund your education solely with loans.
    You also don't need to go to super expensive schools if you can't afford it.
    As someone said earlier, you want to build up a network while you're in school.
    If there's a club for something you're interested in, join it.
    If you run across someone who's into what you're into career-wise, make a connection.
    If you can find a mentor, you absolutely want to take advantage of that.
    There's always the military, if you're not opposed to it.

equis

Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    One thing I feel is overlooked is getting certifications. Our people have particularly been fed the college doctrine, but I think we have to get back to trades, just like many people on here have been saying. You can't do much with a degree in English or Bachelor's in Phycology, BUT when you learn a trade you have a translatable skill that's useful in and outside of the job. And with trades, the more certs you get the more pay. It's a more tangible and rewarding system.

Bmick#8

Royal Sixer
    Content Contributor
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    If my parents had given me any type of guidance growing up, I would've dropped out of high school when I turned 16, gotten a GED and gone immediately to a 2 year community college. From there I would've gone to trade school. I was gassed up about the whole college experience, and though I had a lot of fun, I wasted a lot of money and worst of all, time. I spent my whole 20's and half of my 30's broke, living check to check, working towards and paying off a liberal arts degree. Hlaf the money I got in pell grants and loans were spent funding my spring break and summer vacations and buying music/instruments. The most I've ever made as a teacher was 62 k. School is only as effective as the degree you are working towards. A lot of white people only go to get connections into the field they are going into, and typically, these people get jobs later on in life, based on who they met/pledged with in college.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    Community college for trade and learning skills is fine.

If you want to be a doctor, lawyer, or something else that requires YEARS of higher education, then universities are your best bet.

If you don't plan on doing that, it is a waste to pay thousands and have to deal with the nonsense at universities trying to push their communist BS on everyone.

Barida

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Native American
    Origin
    USA
    All I have is love for online education. I am equally against students pilling up these student loans just to go to college. I did my college and still pay till today, but believe that the world has changed and doing some short courses online can also be of immense help.

Danny

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Latin America
    If you can afford going to college, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it but the most important thing is that you should study something that's going to be capable of setting you up to make a living for yourself comfortably without having to slave for another company all in the name of being their staff. Tech courses are the very best in my experience because they get well recognised and paid well.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    Others have mentioned this. I went to college got my degree but if I had to do it all over again, I woud have skipped college and went into tech.
    I think college is only good for certain things such as you want to be a doctor, lawyer, high level professions like that. Engineering, nursing. However, if you are going to get a degree, some random degree, its a waste. I would spend those 4 years getting certified in tech for example: cloud engineering, cyber security, etc. or being a plumber, electrician, the trades, truck driving, getting a CDL and all others do local or long haul. Those non college options will bring in near 6 figures.

The thing is you can get an online degree that is pretty much accepted as a brick and mortar these days. If you feel you must, do the easiest, cheapest, credited online degree you can. There are US options as well as overseas options.

Ravenfreak

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I went to college for a tiny bit after I graduated high school. However it was a local community college, and I didn't really know what I wanted to do at the time so I dropped out. I've been debating on if it's worth going back lately myself, I would want to look into programming and if I do go back I'll probably stick to online classes for convenience.

Sovereign

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Others have mentioned this. I went to college got my degree but if I had to do it all over again, I woud have skipped college and went into tech.
    I think college is only good for certain things such as you want to be a doctor, lawyer, high level professions like that. Engineering, nursing. However, if you are going to get a degree, some random degree, its a waste. I would spend those 4 years getting certified in tech for example: cloud engineering, cyber security, etc. or being a plumber, electrician, the trades, truck driving, getting a CDL and all others do local or long haul. Those non college options will bring in near 6 figures.

The thing is you can get an online degree that is pretty much accepted as a brick and mortar these days. If you feel you must, do the easiest, cheapest, credited online degree you can. There are US options as well as overseas options.
    What did you get your degree in?

MR-D-ROB

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    It's never a bad idea to get an education.
    It's a bad idea to get education that you don't have a plan for how to use it.

I see people go to school and get a business degree and no plans on how they are going to use it. Same can be said for people that get biology, sociology, English, fashion design, advertising, journalism degrees.
    Unless you already have a plan for how to use them you may struggle getting a job. That's true for white people too. It's over expressed in the black community though.

A degree in fields like IT, medical doctor, nursing, social worker are good.

Vocational/technical training programs are also good and they are usually short in length. HVAC technician, electrician, plumber, practical nurse, x ray tech, surgical tech, respiratory therapist, dietitian, cardiac Cath tech all pay extremely well and you can make a good living.

Now that said the vocational/technical training programs can be fast paced and very difficult.

I started out doing a criminal justice degree. I realized without a solid plan a criminal justice degree was an uphill battle. I stopped at the associates degree and changed track.

I did a practical nurse program and it was very stressful and difficult. It was well worth it though and I'm making over $100k now.

I couldn't be happier and don't regret getting my education at all!