The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Are You Celebrating Christmas?

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    If you are tell us how you’re celebrating it. If you’re not, tell us why and what you’re doing instead if anything.

I’m celebrating it because in the end it’s benign. It’s not like the 4th of July where celebrating it is being happy that our slave master won a battle against the racist imperial army.

So to me I see nothing wrong with putting up a tree and having presents. The trees are beautiful, give good ambiance, and it’s a good reason for the family to get together. Also right next to the tree is a huge picture of Malcolm X so my son can never get conflicted.

F3DC4A95-B203-4906-91DD-9D64BBCC4F1A.jpeg

Last edited:

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    nope. Not celebrating Christmas or replacing it with anything else. The tree, the decorations, everything is part of a pagan ritual that I don't want my family to be a part of. --- basically, if the system of white supremacy celebrates it, I question it.

As an Israelite, I also use this as a reference. - Jeremiah 10:1-4

"Hear ye the word which Yah speaketh unto you, O house of Israel: Thus saith Yah, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not."

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    No. That died when my Grandfather passed X-mas morning 1996.
    Sorry to hear that brother. How are you holding up?
    nope. Not celebrating Christmas or replacing it with anything else. The tree, the decorations, everything is part of a pagan ritual that I don't want my family to be a part of. --- basically, if the system of white supremacy celebrates it, I question it.

"Hear ye the word which Yah speaketh unto you, O house of Israel: Thus saith Yah, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not."
    You not even gon' celebrate Arutisuse? You're a sellout. You're off the Lunch Break...this was the final straw. But I feel you on the pagan-ness of it. All of it is some made up Roman Empire bullcrap but my son about to get a "Introductory to STEM: play set under the tree so there's good with the weirdness.

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    You not even gon' celebrate Arutisuse? You're a sellout. You're off the Lunch Break...this was the final straw. But I feel you on the pagan-ness of it. All of it is some made up Roman Empire bullcrap but my son about to get a "Introductory to STEM: play set under the tree so there's good with the weirdness.
    lol. I'm gonna roast every person I see celebrating Aruisuse. They deserve it.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I'm celebrating it 100 and DGAF what anyone thinks or says. I remember one of my best friends growing up was JW and that nigga couldn't celebrate shit. No cake on his b-day, no Easter egg hunts, no halloween and I vowed to never put my kid through that. So we talk about real shit during the holidays but we still celebrate them so she doesn't feel left out.

"baby girl the tree is beautiful and we have these presents let's be grateful...now family let's take a picture. On the count of 3 say fuck George Washington and smile...1, 2,3 "

lol. I'm gonna roast every person I see celebrating Aruisuse. They deserve it.
    Last night Taharka Bey called it FBA Christmas. mjlol

JerriBun

Master Sixer
    Super Moderator
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    nope. Not celebrating Christmas or replacing it with anything else. The tree, the decorations, everything is part of a pagan ritual that I don't want my family to be a part of.

Copying and pasting what blackice_ATL said. We don't do Christmas here. Just another day for me and my family. We do honor YAH's Holy Days throughout the year, that's plenty for us.
    sanaalathanlaugh

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    i think that's part of the problem. Why do we have to feel included within a culture that hates us??
    It’s not about feeling included in the culture it’s about not feeling excluded when everyone is talking about presents and you didn’t get any because your parents felt like they have to make a statement. My daughter will get presents and be in tune with her Blackness and our struggle all at the same time.

Drakbluud

Senior Sixer
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Other
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    i think that's part of the problem. Why do we have to feel included within a culture that hates us??
    Well it kinda sucks when you’re a kid and social isolation can be pretty detrimental. If you’re kid’s growing up in a hostile environment, better that they get experience young— as opposed to isolating them and then they have no social experience or intelligence.

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Well it kinda sucks when you’re a kid and social isolation can be pretty detrimental. If you’re kid’s growing up in a hostile environment, better that they get experience young— as opposed to isolating them and then they have no social experience or intelligence.
    i think history has proven integration has been detrimental. and you should change up their social circle as soon as possible so they won't feel isolated.
    for example, there's a muslim neighborhood near me, the adults nor the kids celebrate any of this and they're handling it well. But they're also surrounded by their own and like-minded people.

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    It’s not about feeling included in the culture it’s about not feeling excluded when everyone is talking about presents and you didn’t get any because your parents felt like they have to make a statement. My daughter will get presents and be in tune with her Blackness and our struggle all at the same time.
    i think teaching kids as young as possible what the truth is, they can handle it better. at some point we have to change the pattern if we want to see real change. my son will grow up receiving gifts throughout the year, instead waiting til the end of the year with everyone else.

and surrounding our children around like-minded people will prevent the feeling of isolation.

YahudahQueen96

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    No. I haven’t celebrated since 2015. My household doesn’t do Christmas. It doesn’t stop us from seeing our family though. They know my household don’t do these holidays. I believe some people are starting to realize it’s a joke. Spending money on gifts and putting up a tree every December doesn’t make sense. Christmas actually has pagan roots and is not about the true messiah.

The Haze Of Our Lives

Royal Sixer
    Community Host
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Sorry to hear that brother. How are you holding up?

Hey brother Jay!

I am healing still but the movement in my neck is becoming more flexible with the home PT IO am getting weekly. How was your cruise? What ports of call did you visit? I was hoping to go fly my bird but my silly ass forgot to charge the batteries. Anywho my better half is really taking care of me, I am so blessed to have her in my life.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Hey brother Jay!

I am healing still but the movement in my neck is becoming more flexible with the home PT IO am getting weekly. How was your cruise? What ports of call did you visit? I was hoping to go fly my bird but my silly ass forgot to charge the batteries. Anywho my better half is really taking care of me, I am so blessed to have her in my life.
    I’m glad you’re doing well and are in good spirits. My cruise was excellent I hit Catalina island and Ensenada.

ArYkathaGOAT

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    If you are tell us how you’re celebrating it. If you’re not, tell us why and what you’re doing instead if anything.

I’m celebrating it because in the end it’s benign. It’s not like the 4th of July where celebrating it is being happy that our slave master won a battle against the racist imperial army.

So to me I see nothing wrong with putting up a tree and having presents. The trees are beautiful, give good ambiance, and it’s a good reason for the family to get together. Also right next to the tree is a huge picture of Malcolm X so my son can never get conflicted.

View attachment 5844
    I've decided to recognize ALL HOLIDAYS. Only because I don't want to feel like I'm DEPRIVING my son of anything. I grew up extremely religious SEVENTH-DAY Adventist also studied Jehovah Witness. As Jehovah witness don't even celebrate birthdays when I was 6years old we didn't even get birthday cakes anymore. ..... Then come to find out other members of those congregations were STILL partaking of what they call celebrations in the world or idolize worship... 😩 .... So I celebrate everything even Cinco de Mayo 😂😭🤣 ....

ArYkathaGOAT

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Just to follow up I don't teach lies though, 🤭 I teach the spirit of the season.... I don't teach my son that there's a white man breaking into my house to leave anything behind 😆 and when we were celebrating him losing baby teeth and gaining permanent teeth... I told him that we give dollars because George Washington is the tooth fairy 😩🤣 😭 who stole black people's teeth because they were so healthy and his were rotten 😆 🤣 .....

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I've decided to recognize ALL HOLIDAYS. Only because I don't want to feel like I'm DEPRIVING my son of anything. I grew up extremely religious SEVENTH-DAY Adventist also studied Jehovah Witness. As Jehovah witness don't even celebrate birthdays when I was 6years old we didn't even get birthday cakes anymore. ..... Then come to find out other members of those congregations were STILL partaking of what they call celebrations in the world or idolize worship... 😩 .... So I celebrate everything even Cinco de Mayo 😂😭🤣 ....
    Exactly how I feel eventhough I didn’t have a fundamentalist upbringing like you did. My son is really culturally Black and “militant” so to speak so I don’t feel like giving him a little joy is poisoning him.

I think the important thing to remember is that we are Black and American so there is a duality there. Next year is going to be my first day celebrating Malcolm X day. Ima turn it into a holiday in my family.

ShermX69X

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    I hate Chris..
    Robot Wtf GIF

Never mind...

Stan Zero

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    I usually put up a tree every year and give out presents to fam and friends. I don't take it as seriously as I did when I was growing up, but I still love the feeling of getting my family gifts to end out the year.

I also like driving around town and seeing all the crazy Christmas decorations. It really adds to the nostalgia for me.

TekhNiqo

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I take the opportunity to spend time with my family and as time has passed my family has been less about the "buying gifts" aspect and simply getting together. At first I rejected the holiday because I told myself when you know better you do better and I still feel that way BUT I use it to take advantage and show face because I feel that's important especially for myself and those close to my age because soon we will be the leaders of our family and soon we will be in charge of getting everyone together. We could call it whatever but any excuse is a good excuse to get together with family. I don't care for carols, stockings or trees and as long as my family is cool with that then I'm cool. Maybe one day we will have our own nationally recognized holiday (as far as Black people I don't care if other groups acknowledge it or not) that can replace all of these Bakra/Temehu traditions but for now I'll improvise

cjg

Senior Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I think the important thing to remember is that we are Black and American so there is a duality there. Next year is going to be my first day celebrating Malcolm X day. Ima turn it into a holiday in my family.
    That sounds awesome ... I've gone to celebrations outside of the home, but never anything personal.. I think I might join you in that ..

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    That sounds awesome ... I've gone to celebrations outside of the home, but never anything personal.. I think I might join you in that ..
    It’s the perfect day to celebrate and it is educational too. That brotha rode for us and we should always hold him high. Right above my workstation.

image.jpg

Linda Jones

Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks

View attachment 5844
    i love it!

JerriBun

Master Sixer
    Super Moderator
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    the Bible is a comic book full of super heroes written by dim wits with limited imaginations
    Oof, disrespectful much? Christmas has nothing to do with the Bible. It's actually mentioned to not celebrate it. Before you say a text is written by dim wits, make sure you actually know what it says.

bwdisgusted

ZxBro

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Nah I don't celebrate it I just decided that we all have our own paths to follow and our own journeys to complete we may not all want or see the world the same but our Blackness connects us that's why we say Black First! I don't care what the next Black man or woman believes or how they live their lives are you ON CODE is the measure. Y'all Enjoy the time with family and friends don't forget Dr. Clarke's Birthday is January 1st! Arutituse! And B1✊🏿
    Omar vs Santa
    FB_IMG_1670900051903.jpg

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    law and order crazy shit GIF
    Man this is a toughie subject!My wife is crime Guyana and this is a big time of the year for them as a culture and Boxing.Me on the other hand I like to creat my own traditions.Long story short this was a fight that lasted for years.I don’t fuck with Pagan holidays.I love this woman had three kids with her so it’s one of them Unresolved issues

Jay_Judah202

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    If you get the kids presents throughout the year Christmas won't mean shit to them.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    If I'm in town I celebrate it with family or friends. At this point, its not about the original meaning. It's purely a time when you connect with people in your circle. Secondarily if there are kids, you do it for them as well.
    They shouldn't be left out from presents like their friends at school. If something is for kids, I am an advocate to do it. Which means Halloween and Christmas and if its easter and the local church or city got an Easter Egg hunt, yeah, I'd do that for the little kids as well. It's about their childhood.

Paid1nFull

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I will be exchanging gift with family, because they celebrate Christmas. I tell my coworkers I celebrate Christmas and may even say Merry Christmas to people. But I'm not putting up a tree or having any decorations and will be shopping with Black Owned Businesses for the majority of gifts. When I have my own family, I think I'll replace Christmas with Kwanzaa.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    Anything that brings the family together and strengthens the family unit is a GOOD THING. I don't agree with all the pagan nonsense with our holidays in America but Christmas for my family will always be about us coming together and being thankful for each other. I don't don't do a tree but I do go to my parents' and still help my mom set up their tree. It is a tradition of ours. My youngest bro still lives with them but he don't always wanna help her.

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Anything that brings the family together and strengthens the family unit is a GOOD THING. I don't agree with all the pagan nonsense with our holidays in America but Christmas for my family will always be about us coming together and being thankful for each other. I don't don't do a tree but I do go to my parents' and still help my mom set up their tree. It is a tradition of ours. My youngest bro still lives with them but he don't always wanna help her.
    Family should ALWAYS celebrate each other & it shouldn't take a pagan holiday to do it. Everyday the Most High awakens you, is a celebration. 🙏🏽❤️🙏🏽

ShermX69X

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    law and order crazy shit GIF
    Man this is a toughie subject!My wife is crime Guyana and this is a big time of the year for them as a culture and Boxing.Me on the other hand I like to creat my own traditions.Long story short this was a fight that lasted for years.I don’t fuck with Pagan holidays.I love this woman had three kids with her so it’s one of them Unresolved issues
    Don't ever fold brother; continue to handle it like a boss! ✊🏾😉
    like a boss swag GIF

A.B.

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

View attachment 5844
    No I don't, I don't want to mess up any of my chances making it upstairs.